Nashville TJ's Build - Continued

Yeah, I've considered buying one a few times over the years, but I just couldn't see what it can do that I can't do with my DMM and 'scope.

It’s definitely convenient, and also has a bunch of multi-meter like features.

So I’m sitting here eating lunch, contemplating all this, and thinking: “I can’t believe I put a Hemi in this thing, and I’m having trouble fixing a fucking wiper motor…”

😳

So I’m sitting here eating lunch, contemplating all this, and thinking: “I can’t believe I put a Hemi in this thing, and I’m having trouble fixing a fucking wiper motor…”

😳

I'm telling you - wiper motor control was invented by someone who went on to engineering glory! I pick up things pretty quickly, and they have me mystified.

😳

There are other options. ;)

1714671975006.png

Then you could shave your wipers for that "custom" look. ;)

To coin a cool fraise from @starkey480 , I did a little Tow-Piggin' today. 🙂

While waiting for the new wiper motor, I threw the rig on the trailer to test it out behind the new tow pig. I worked on getting the weight distributing hitch properly set up, and I wanted to see how the new rig handled the load.

View attachment 523341

My previous big Ford (shown quietly crying in the background of this pic...) did a great job handling the load. Very well, actually.

But this thing is better in every way. Markedly better. Much more power - nearly 1100 foot pounds compared to the previous 800. The 10 speed tranny is a dream compared to the 6, and the braking is also better. Engine braking and tow mode are also much better, not to mention sway control and the other tow features.

Camera's all over the thing, compared to just the backup camera on the old truck.

And hey, this view is pretty cool too.

View attachment 523343

All in all, this thing is a beast. Can't wait to see how it handles Vail Pass in June.

I noticed you mentioned using a weight distribution hitch. Is that really necessary given trailer brakes and the size and power of the tow pig? I haven't used one with my trailer so I don't know if it's needed or not.

😳

Power probes are very handy.

I noticed you mentioned using a weight distribution hitch. Is that really necessary given trailer brakes and the size and power of the tow pig? I haven't used one with my trailer so I don't know if it's needed or not.

I've run it both ways. My rig on the trailer is about 10k, and on the big Ford it tows very well without the WDH - and in fact if I do short trips I don't bother putting on the WDH. But it does make a difference. Subtle, but it is there. Steering is just a bit more precise; sway is reduced to nothing (I run a sway control WDH); and it does level out the truck a bit. Leveling was not a big deal on the old truck as I ran adjustable air bags, but on the new truck I've not yet installed bags, so the WDH makes more of a difference.

For me, it is worth the time it takes to install it for longer trips.

I've run it both ways. My rig on the trailer is about 10k, and on the big Ford it tows very well without the WDH - and in fact if I do short trips I don't bother putting on the WDH. But it does make a difference. Subtle, but it is there. Steering is just a bit more precise; sway is reduced to nothing (I run a sway control WDH); and it does level out the truck a bit. Leveling was not a big deal on the old truck as I ran adjustable air bags, but on the new truck I've not yet installed bags, so the WDH makes more of a difference.

For me, it is worth the time it takes to install it for longer trips.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. I wondered if it was needed or not. This clarifies the advantages and your experience. Thanks!

Reactions: Wildman
So, looking at the schematics, I have 12v to the connector on the pink/black wire which comes directly from the #17 fuse - switched. The other wires in the connector come from the multi-function switch. With the rig on, wipers on high (or any setting) I get nothing at the connector on any of the wires coming from the multi-function switch. Power to the multi-function switch also comes from #17.

Does that mean the switch is at fault?

There is a test procedure in the FSM, so I guess I need to dig into that next.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
So, looking at the schematics, I have 12v to the connector on the pink/black wire which comes directly from the #17 fuse - switched. The other wires in the connector come from the multi-function switch. With the rig on, wipers on high (or any setting) I get nothing at the connector on any of the wires coming from the multi-function switch. Power to the multi-function switch also comes from #17.

Oh for fuck's sake. Who designs these things? The wire colors coming out of the Jeep do not match the colors on the motor. Close in colors - but not in location. So, ground on the motor is not black, it's brown. Black on the motor is the switched 12v. Stupid me, I assume the black wire on the motor was ground...

So I did a quick wire map on the connector.

Funny, the motor works fine when you ground it correctly, and throw power to the correct wires.

Back to the multi-switch.

IMG_0133.jpeg

I'm swamped at work here for the afternoon. If you don't make any progress, I'll try to dig into that messy schematic this evening...

Reactions: reddvltj
Who designs these things? The wire colors coming out of the Jeep do not match the colors on the motor. Close in colors - but not in location. So, ground on the motor is not black, it's brown. Black on the motor is the switched 12v. Stupid me, I assume the black wire on the motor was ground...

More than likely, that motor was designed for another vehicle by one engineer years before the wiring harness for your rig was designed by a different engineer. Due to other constraints on wire colors in the harness, they don't match. It's not cost-effective to create a new motor part number just to match colors up. That's how the design world works, like it or not...

More than likely, that motor was designed for another vehicle by one engineer years before the wiring harness for your rig was designed by a different engineer. Due to other constraints on wire colors in the harness, they don't match. It's not cost-effective to create a new motor part number just to match colors up. That's how the design world works, like it or not...

Makes perfect sense. Just wish I had noticed it yesterday when doing my original motor testing.

OK - found it. I pulled open the steering column to start to diagnose the multi-function switch - and I find this:

IMG_0134.jpeg

The grey connector on the back of the switch was loose. Must have jarred it loose working under the dash a few weeks ago. Pushed it in - and guess what…

Occam’s Razor…

OK - found it. I pulled open the steering column to start to diagnose the multi-function switch - and I find this:

View attachment 523611

The grey connector on the back of the switch was loose. Must have jarred it loose working under the dash a few weeks ago. Pushed it in - and guess what…

Occam’s Razor…

Christoph-Waltz-Ta-Da-GIF.gif

• Haha
Reactions: NashvilleTJ

View attachment 523611

Occam’s Razor…

I had one of those a while ago on my Road glide. Speakers were only working on one side so I'm thinking all kinds of things wrong with it and ordered parts for it to have on hand. Get the fairing off and DAMN loose plug.