Natural gas plumbing

P

P man

30,000 BTU natural gas wall mount heater. I need to T into this line for the water heater. How do I safely accomplish this? Important where the T goes? How much of the yellow flexy tubing is too much?

20221115_172617.jpg

Might be a good idea to go to a plumbing place and talk to them about it. I bet they have solved problems such as this many times. Safety is a main concern here. Good luck with it.

Reactions: P man
Place a 3/4"x1/2"x1/2" tee on the 3/4" pipe stub at the wall before the 3/4"-1/2" reducer. Get rid of the reducer and reinstall water heater line in one 1/2' leg of new tee. Run a new 1/2" pipe supply line out of the other 1/2" tee opening with a new shut off ball valve. Run pipe to within a couple feet of heater or so and a short piece of flex. Use a good sealer like rectorseal #5 and make sure to soap your connections when done to check for leaks.

Place a 3/4"x1/2"x1/2" tee on the 3/4" pipe stub at the wall before the 3/4"-1/2" reducer. Get rid of the reducer and reinstall water heater line in one 1/2' leg of new tee. Run a new 1/2" pipe supply line out of the other 1/2" tee opening with a new shut off ball valve. Run pipe to within a couple feet of heater or so and a short piece of flex. Use a good sealer like rectorseal #5 and make sure to soap your connections when done to check for leaks.
@P man Unless things have changed since when I last did this the pipe and fittings he is talking about is regular old schedule 40 threaded black steel pipe with 150 lb black malleable iron fittings.

Reactions: P man and flyinfish
@P man Unless things have changed since when I last did this the pipe and fittings he is talking about is regular old schedule 40 threaded black steel pipe with 150 lb black malleable iron fittings.

Correct, black steel gas piping & fittings.

Thanks guys..I know galvanized is against code so black pipe it is. I'm honestly on the fence about doing this myself. I spend alot of time in my garage and need to feel safe if I'm grinding etc. I'll make up my mind soon

30,000 BTU natural gas wall mount heater. I need to T into this line for the water heater. How do I safely accomplish this? Important where the T goes? How much of the yellow flexy tubing is too much?

View attachment 377041

Check the heater for the proper supply line size, it may need to be 3/4” to the heater. I know when I installed a tankless water heater I had to have a new meter installed due to the old meter not having enough flow. That may be something to check also.

One other item that is missing currently on hot water heater is a sediment trap. They need to be 3" min. length.

Reactions: g.hayduke
Most cities, towns, and all insurance companies require that all gas plumbing be performed by a certified gas plumbing technician. That means someone who has received training and passed a test to become certified. I'm sure thousands of hot water heaters, dryers, and furnaces have been plumbed by talented homeowners with no problems. However, if something does happen you will be uninsured and liable for all damages and injuries. Your call.

Most cities, towns, and all insurance companies require that all gas plumbing be performed by a certified gas plumbing technician. That means someone who has received training and passed a test to become certified. I'm sure thousands of hot water heaters, dryers, and furnaces have been plumbed by talented homeowners with no problems. However, if something does happen you will be uninsured and liable for all damages and injuries. Your call.
What state? Here in Washington State homeowners can legally install or modify their own plumbing including gas pipe on their own property and the insurance companies don't care.

I think it's worth a phone call to your home insurance agent to be sure of that.
https://legalbeagle.com/7486995-residential-gas-piping-rules.html

Also:

Washington Plumbing License Requirements​

47.png

Inside the State of Washington a license is required for plumbing, and electrical trades. All plumbing businesses need to register with the Washington Department of Labor and Industries. A WA Plumbing License covers any plumbing work including sanitary drainage, water supply, storm drainage, and natural gas piping.

Requirements for a Plumbers License in Washington​

In order to become a licensed plumber in the State of Washington all applicants will need to pass the "Business and Law" exam, and have prior approval from the Washington Department of Labor and Industries - Contractor's Registration Section before testing.
Applicants will also need to have at least 6,000 hours for Residential Specialty and 8,000 hours, of which 4,000 must be commercial, for Journeyman.

Finally:

Can I do my own plumbing work?

In the State of Washington, Chapter 18.106 RCW contains the rules and regulations governing plumber certification. An owner may perform their own plumbing work. They may also enlist the help of a friend, neighbor, relative, or other acquaintance, provided that such persons are not being compensated for the services. If you are paying to have plumbing work done, the installer is required to be a certified journeyman plumber. They must also be a registered contractor or be employed by a registered contractor. More information is available from the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries.

Who can I hire to install plumbing and gas piping?

In the State of Washington, Chapter 18.27 RCW contains the rules and regulations governing contractor registration. All contractors who perform work, advertise or submit bids must be registered with the Department of Labor & Industries, post a bond and carry general liability insurance coverage. More information is available from the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries. In addition, there are specific requirements for installers of plumbing and gas piping as outlined in the following questions.

Can I do my own gas piping work?

Property owners can install gas piping on property they own. If you are paying to have gas piping work done, the installer is required to be a registered contractor or be employed by a registered contractor. Please note that within the City of Seattle only, a gas pipe installer must be the property owner, or they must hold a Seattle Gas Piping Mechanic License. You can find more information regarding this on the City of Seattle's website.

Good Luck!

I did my own re-routing of NG pipe in my previous house. I also was terrified of filling my walls with NG due to leak. I made up a pressure gauge fitting setup and did leak down tests and no matter what i did i couldn't get the Home Depot pipe to hold over night without dropping. I ended up having a real plumber come in and check it out. He fixed up a couple spots and he said the main thing was the threading on the HD pipe wasn't as tight as the when he cuts the thread himself in the van. He put a leak sniffer on it and said it was fine.

I did my own re-routing of NG pipe in my previous house. I also was terrified of filling my walls with NG due to leak. I made up a pressure gauge fitting setup and did leak down tests ...
That is important. Use a quality pressure gage, put pressure to the system then isolate the source, and make sure it holds pressure for hours. I also used ether Snoop or Hoke Leak Detective on all the joints.

I have a bid out and will try to report back with the cost.

I had my gas line replaced and had to pressure test it with a low pressure gauge. After failing a couple time I crawled under the house and fixed the contractors work. They used a union instead of a left right fitting. Then it passed.

Well I had a licensed heating contractor replace a floor heater with a &15K forced air heat/AC unit in one of my rentals last year. They obviously did not do a pressure test or have it inspected because when the Gas Company turned on the gas they detected a massive leak and called in the FD. The FD notified the Building Inspector who had a shit fit. One T was only hand tight. When all was said and done I was cleared by the inspector and got a $5k discount. I so not know what happened to the contractor but judging by the inspectors attitude it was not good.
So much for hiring a reputable, Yelp 4.5 star, professional licensed installer.