Near misses

EJD

TJ Overlander
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Holy shit I had 2 near misses just on my way home from work today!

First one was minutes after leaving the hospital when a clueless college kid in a Subaru almost veered into the entire driver side of my TJ as she cut across the lane without paying any attention to the rest of the world. Wake the F up people!

Second, juuust about entering my neighborhood driving down a main road and I happen to see a car at an upcoming crossroad creeping out into the road I'm driving on not looking left (my direction) and only looking right. I realize this car is not going to stop and i hit the brakes a little at first but then I actually see the lades head not looking my way at all and she's still going forward. I hit the brakes hard, my BFG's bit down and they were screaming to a halt maybe a foot from t-boneing this car and ruining this whole familys day. I'm also laying on the horn the whole time too, this lady has her window rolled down, smoking a cigarette, and throws her arms up like i'm the asshole for almost hitting her! There are all these other bystanders watching and I look around seeing people pointing like "Oh Shit!", my heart was racing like crazy but happy to just make it home in one piece.

Somedays are crazy though right?!

Just wanted to vent a little, made me love my TJ a little bit more, and made me wonder if my brakes could have had me stopping sooner than I did...glad I didn't have my family in the Jeep at the time.

Be safe everyone.

Whenever I see near miss I always think of this George Carlin skit:

We have this particularly bad section of road that people never seem to get right. It's tricky to someone who hasn't had their license for very long but anyone who's been driving for at least a year should understand it perfectly. Pretty much a hidden roundabout so the people who are continuing straight think they have the right of way... Why hasn't the city done anything over all these years? Seriously have no clue.

Reactions: EJD and GTboosted
mmmmm Subaru drivers are all the same, especially if they own a TJ as well.;) hehe

Glad your reflexes were on point though...I always read the road ahead and think 'What if?'

Reactions: EJD
Yikes yeah that's scary stuff. Some people probably just shouldn't be driving. Plenty of them around here too half the time they dont even know who's turn it is at a 4way stop. Glad nothing came out of your close calls and you and the TJ are ok!

I've found that bad things always come in at least twos. Sounds like the case with your day!

Time for a big brake kit, huh?

You'd shit your pants if you saw the size of the big brake kit I've got waiting to go on!

Whenever I see near miss I always think of this George Carlin skit:

We have this particularly bad section of road that people never seem to get right. It's tricky to someone who hasn't had their license for very long but anyone who's been driving for at least a year should understand it perfectly. Pretty much a hidden roundabout so the people who are continuing straight think they have the right of way... Why hasn't the city done anything over all these years? Seriously have no clue.
Love GC, lol that definitely gave me a much needed laugh! Thanks for that.
I've found that bad things always come in at least twos. Sounds like the case with your day!

Time for a big brake kit, huh?

You'd shit your pants if you saw the size of the big brake kit I've got waiting to go on!
I'de love a big brake kit, but i'll settle for just a fresh set for now. Can't imagine if the roads were wet or anything, could have been game over for them.

My last set of BFG KO's were the hero of the last car accident I was in, they were the only reason we did not roll when we were t-boned going 40mph.

IMG_3739.JPGIMG_3741.JPG

Check out the angle of the hill we were about to roll down into a canal.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Chris
Love GC, lol that definitely gave me a much needed laugh! Thanks for that.

I'de love a big brake kit, but i'll settle for just a fresh set for now. Can't imagine if the roads were wet or anything, could have been game over for them.

My last set of BFG KO's were the hero of the last car accident I was in, they were the only reason we did not roll when we were t-boned going 40mph.

View attachment 50720View attachment 50721

Check out the angle of the hill we were about to roll down into a canal.

Wow, tires to the rescue!

The one nice thing about a Jeep is that in most accident scenarios (most), you end up not sustaining much damage at all, whereas the other guy gets their car obliterated. This is even more so when you have a lift, bumpers, a winch, a huge spare tire, etc.

I've seen some photos of Jeeps that got rear ended (or rear ended someone), and the Jeep almost always looks untouched.

A t-bone is another story of course.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and EJD