Neat comparison of open diff, traction control, and lockers

That is a great video. While I was watching, I thought that it would be a great way to demonstrate the difference between factory anti-roll bar, discos, and anti-rock. I don't know if that particular cut was deep enough to fully unload a disco'd axle, but it should demonstrate that ultimate flex vs usable flex point that is so important.

Front and rear open diffs are a scam on 4WD vehicles. They should be equipped with LSD's at a minimum.
Traction control may help but it is really designed for both wheels on the ground. His comment about being pushed by the rear locker is true but, an engaged front locker will allow for a tighter turn than an engaged rear locker.

Check out this video by John Currie,

Reactions: mots
Front and rear open diffs are a scam on 4WD vehicles. They should be equipped with LSD's at a minimum.
Traction control may help but it is really designed for both wheels on the ground. His comment about being pushed by the rear locker is true but, an engaged front locker will allow for a tighter turn than an engaged rear locker.

Check out this video by John Currie,

How would a front LSD handle at speeds? When I bought my front axle last year I was thinking about an autolocker but wanted to talk to somebody local who had one first to know how it'd handle in the snow. I wasn't able to find a single person in my circle who has a front autolocker. I have an ATV with a front LSD that is entirely unnoticeable even at 65+mph.

Snow and ice can be a weird thing. Sometimes you want to lay off the throttle for the rear to catch, other times you want the front to bite in, other times you need to keep all of wheels paddling through slop and need to swing the vehicle around a turn rather than turn it. And it's normal for different sections of road to be entirely different on the same day.

Last edited:
I ran a first generation lock-rite in my CJ in the front and had a factory limited slip in the rear, no problems unless you hit the brakes and one front wheel is on ice, all it did was chatter but no harm, loved the traction though...