• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Need a Good Pop Rivet Tool

g.hayduke

TJ Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2019
New Mexico
Hey guys and gals,

I am in the process of repacking some motorcycle mufflers and my cheap old pop rivet tool just can't seem to pull the SS rivets to get them back together.

I would like to find something in the $50 - $75 range if there are any decent options. Most of ones I've looked at have enough negative reviews to make me doubt their durability.

Anybody have a gun you like that you've really used hard with success?

Thanks!

Steel City 06

TJ Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
If you have access to both sides of the metal, consider using solid rivets.

I used to repair aluminum canoes (as well as other kinds) and have a decent amount of experience riveting.

The solid rivets are stronger, cheaper, and prettier than blind rivets, and are watertight without any sealant.

We used 3/16" rivets, a set of bucking bars, and a 4X rivet gun (basically a glorified air hammer), and with a pair of lightly experienced people drive 6 rivets a minute or faster. It can be done with just one person when said person can reach both sides of the rivet at the same time

Reactions: derekmac
OP
g.hayduke

g.hayduke

TJ Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2019
New Mexico
Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up getting this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00061SFDM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It made short work of the rivets my old tool couldn't handle. I don't do a lot of riveting so I'm hoping this will do what I need for the next 10 or 20 years. As mentioned in my original post, I was repacking motorcycle mufflers. So no way to access both sides since 1 side is inside the can.

Reactions: Steel City 06

Zukey14

Dec 6, 2018
Lambertville Michigan
I bought a Harbor Freight air rivet gun for building/repairing snow mobiles , used often with stainless 3/16s
comes with extra jaws and parts too.

I have this same one and have used it a lot more than I thought I would. Never had an issue, works great for stainless steel rivets, I have put in roughly 200 with it and it worked great.

PCO6

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2016
Newmarket, Ontario
I bought a Harbor Freight air rivet gun for building/repairing snow mobiles , used often with stainless 3/16s
comes with extra jaws and parts too.
I have that riveter too and, among other things, it's been very good for fastening 1/8" think aluminum panels to a few trailers that I've built. There better industrial units like it but for the money, they are great for the needs of most hobbiests.