Need a new computer

Serbonze

TJ Neophyte
Supporting Member
I'm horrible when it comes to technology, I freely admit that. That being being said, I have a nine year old desktop computer running Windows Vista that is apparently no longer supported by Microsoft and is supposedly not very safe. I can't upgrade directly to Windows 10 (I would have to pay to upgrade to Windows 7 and then pay again to upgrade to 10) and I don't think that the hardware in my current computer can even support the resources needed for 10.

So it looks like I'm buying a new computer. People seem to suggest a laptop over a desktop, and honestly I don't really care which one I have. A laptop will take up significantly less room on my desk, which I guess is a bonus along with being able to take it to the couch.

The purpose of the computer is email, word processing (excel and word), iTunes, and surfing the web. That's it. I don't stream movies (I have a firestick for that), I don't play any games, nothing else. I already have a keyboard, monitor, and external hard drive. I need to have Windows 10, an optical drive, and the ability to plug to use my existing mouse, monitor, external hard drive, and keyboard. I'm completely open to a refurbished computer.

I would like to keep the price at $300 or so, and a casual search tells me that I can get a desktop or laptop that will fill my needs. The problem that I'm running into is that the buyers guides are asking for preferences about things that I'm not sure that I need?

So, any suggestions? I'm happy to answer any additional questions regarding usage!

I'm going to assume you're dead set on a PC? I only say that because as a guy who grew up building PCs, gaming on PCS, etc, when I made the switch to Mac about 10 years ago, it very well may be one of the best decisions I've ever made purely based on how well the OS functions.

I run an iMac 5K right now and it's an amazing, amazing computer with a small footprint and an "all-in-one" type of setup. If you're into gaming it's not going to be as good as a custom built PC, but if all you're trying to do is surf the internet and do basic stuff, it's more than up to the task.

EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked the $300 price. Have you considered a tablet to replace the computer, or do you think that will be insufficient?

Everything that I do at work is Windows based, so it's just what I'm used to. Can I easily run MS office products on an Apple platform?

Everything that I do at work is Windows based, so it's just what I'm used to. Can I easily run MS office products on an Apple platform?

On my Mac I have it setup to dual boot to Windows or Mac. However, if you're using everything Windows based, then I suppose it makes more sense to use a PC. Everything I use is Mac based for work, so that's one more reason I get away with it.

I would definitely look at a laptop, although they can be more spendy than a comparable desktop. I haven't bought a desk top in our last few upgrades. Frys Electronics always seems to have a deal on computers, both laptop and desktop. If you can bump your budget up 50 bucks this one will work for you. Our current is a Lenovo and it has been 100% trouble free.

http://www.frys.com/product/8862092?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG