Need a phone...I think.

Ahoragi

TJ Addict
I haven't owned a phone in years because the lady has one and she and I work together but that is coming to a end....today.

I don't want a phone, nor do I want to carry one all day so what options do I have? The phone is mainly for emergency issues because I am driving two 1999 vehicles with over 100k miles 34 miles every day for work. One or both could break down (one already did and I walked) so the lady thinks I should have a way of communicating.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a device that I will barely use and I have no idea what is going on these days tech-wise.

What do you guys recommend?

I don't know much about the "spend a fortune" part but iPhones are pretty user friendly and you can learn how to use one quick. I've been a user of them for 7 years now, am on my 4th one and I like them. As for saving money, that's probably not the route to take.

If you just need something to make calls and aren't going to be using it for any smartphone features, I'd just get one of the cheap flip phones at your carrier's local store.

You won't save any money with a smart phony, I can guarantee you that.

Just get something basic like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4Z0SK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I don't even want to get started on my love / hate relationship with my iPhone. I love the way it works, what it does, and how useful it is. I HATE that I am addicted to it, I HATE that it basically costs $1000 every two years for a new one, and I HATE that the lifecycle of these phones usually isn't more than 3-4 years tops.

Sometimes I wish I could just go back to a basic old flip phone.

Reactions: FTI76 and Brantley
For the most part phones are "free." By free I mean they give you a phone but you pay tax on the retail price if you sign up for a contract. You could pick up a "pre pay" type phone as well. What does your lady have?

The wife and I dumped Verizon about 2 years ago as it was just to dam expensive and switched to Cricket wireless and we have been more than happy with the service. You buy the phone outright but heavily discounted and most smart phones are well under $100. I think my LG was about $50. I use their basic plan that gives you unlimited phone and text and 2.5 Gig of data for $40 a month but if you sign up for auto pay that drops to $35.

You won't save any money with a smart phony, I can guarantee you that.

Just get something basic like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4Z0SK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I don't even want to get started on my love / hate relationship with my iPhone. I love the way it works, what it does, and how useful it is. I HATE that I am addicted to it, I HATE that it basically costs $1000 every two years for a new one, and I HATE that the lifecycle of these phones usually isn't more than 3-4 years tops.

Sometimes I wish I could just go back to a basic old flip phone.

There's a difference between wasting money and spending money. iPhones are money well spent. I am leasing my iPhone and get a new one every 12 months and I don't even think twice about it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't need the talk/call feature cuz I'm deaf but I'm guessing it's included in all the plans. I believe I should get a phone/plan with some data since I may need Purple Communications app to make a call.

They got some prepaid phones at my local store for $25/$35 a month. The phone kits are around $50-$90. Not bad. I guess I gotta research which of those phones are decent. I know LG and Samsung are ok but the other unknown brands I should probably avoid.

I know for sure I don't need an Iphone. Too much phone and too much $$.

There's a difference between wasting money and spending money. iPhones are money well spent. I am leasing my iPhone and get a new one every 12 months and I don't even think twice about it anymore.

Why the need for a new Iphone every year? I'm curious. The last phone I had I used for 3-4 years and it was still good for more.

Why the need for a new Iphone every year? I'm curious. The last phone I had I used for 3-4 years and it was still good for more.

They put so many features into the software updates that the old ones become slow after a little while once they receive all the updates, because the processors just can't keep up with all the new stuff like they could when they were new and didn't have as much to handle.

The actual life of the phones is 3-4 years generally because something will break after that amount of time. They are made in China so they aren't exactly the most perfect devices ever made as far as quality goes.

Also, once they keep coming out with new phones, the older ones generally feel outdated because the new ones typically have features that you feel you "have to have," making a general user want to upgrade even if they don't really need to.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't need the talk/call feature cuz I'm deaf but I'm guessing it's included in all the plans. I believe I should get a phone/plan with some data since I may need Purple Communications app to make a call.

They got some prepaid phones at my local store for $25/$35 a month. The phone kits are around $50-$90. Not bad. I guess I gotta research which of those phones are decent. I know LG and Samsung are ok but the other unknown brands I should probably avoid.

I know for sure I don't need an Iphone. Too much phone and too much $$.

I could live without it but I am a tech geek.

I use a galaxy note 7 (not version 7 a 7inch galaxy note) and an Iphone 7. my employer pays both my phone bills. I prefer the iphone but the batterys in them dont seem to last more than 24 months

I am using an AT&T 'Go Phone', $40/mo. unlimited calls/text/internet; bought a used i-Phone 4S, still going after a few years. Doesn't notify me of voicemail, however. I don't use my phone most of the time, just have it for convenience of a phone if needed. I will go days without remembering to check to see if I had any calls.

Wife doesn't have a cell phone, she hates them.

Oh, I don't think of it as a waste. I'm a Mac guy through and through. My home computer is a 5k Retina iMac, I have an Apple TV, and I buy Apple products almost any chance I can. The problem with my phone is that it's an addiction I need to curb, and it costs me around $1000 every two years. I finance / lease mine as well, but it does indeed add up to around $1000 at the end of every 2 years.

Reactions: DC0046 and FTI76
So I stood in front of the store's selection of phones, which they had TOO many options, and compared prices, plans, and services. I ended up going with Virgin Mobile $35 a month plan which is Unlimited Talk and Text plus 5gb of data. The kit came with a Samsung Galaxy J3 Emerge phone which was only $79. I chose a Samsung phone because I've had no issues with any Samsung component, tv, or device to date and figured their phones should be pretty good. My lady had Virgin Mobile at one point and had no plms with their service so I guess they must be doing thing right.

So right now I'm charging my phone and will finally turn it on and end my phone-free drought.

Reactions: Chris
:campeon:

I was so frustrated with it last night that I just turned it off and went to bed. Way too many apps that I have no idea what they do and too much security related stuff.

It used to be so simple...o_O

:campeon:

I was so frustrated with it last night that I just turned it off and went to bed. Way too many apps that I have no idea what they do and too much security related stuff.

It used to be so simple...o_O

Should have bought a simple old phone, they still exist.

Sometimes I miss the simple days... When I was young I had a Motorola Star-Tac cell phone. That was about as simple and basic as it got!

Should have bought a simple old phone, they still exist.

Sometimes I miss the simple days... When I was young I had a Motorola Star-Tac cell phone. That was about as simple and basic as it got!

I used to have an AOL pager. :)

Many of those pre-installed apps can be turned off. The retailer who sold it to you should be able to help you with that. It strikes me that since you have a hearing loss, getting used to texting might be helpful.

I got most of the useless apps off the phone. I have only one page worth of stuff now instead of two.

I been running the battery till it dies and it appears I can get three days worth of run time on one charge. Not bad.