Need a Trektop NX hack

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Absolutely love the TrekTop Nx and especially the Sunrider feature. But I hate extracting the plastic flappy clip things that secures the top deck to the top of the door surrounds. any hacks for getting these things undone? My wife says she’s not doing it for me anymore. Hurts like a bitch when prying them out…

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
1663717196307.png

• USA Proud
Reactions: Apparition
I've had ok luck jamming my finger under the top, and above the door surround channel. My previous jeeps i could grab the edge of the top and just rotate that edge out of the channel but this one is tighter.

Absolutely love the TrekTop Nx and especially the Sunrider feature. But I hate extracting the plastic flappy clip things that secures the top deck to the top of the door surrounds. any hacks for getting these things undone? My wife says she’s not doing it for me anymore. Hurts like a bitch when prying them out…

Unhitch the header bar clamps first.

Make a loop of 550 cord large enough to fit over the plastic tabs. Before you secure the tabs, put the loops over them, and tuck the loop out of the way. When you want to open the top, pull the loops.

Reactions: MikekiM
Thought of this.. but I envision it doing more bad than good.

I've had ok luck jamming my finger under the top, and above the door surround channel. My previous jeeps i could grab the edge of the top and just rotate that edge out of the channel but this one is tighter.
Way tighter than my OE top. The Trektop Nx I had on my JKs used a different design. No plastic flappy clip things that secures the top deck to the top of the door surrounds. There was a rain gutter built into the top edge of the door surround and the top deck arms just laid in there. Much nicer design and I'm disappointed the design hasn't carried over to the TJ.

Unhitch the header bar clamps first.
That makes it tighter since all the tension is now latched into the plastic flappy clip things.

Make a loop of 550 cord large enough to fit over the plastic tabs. Before you secure the tabs, put the loops over them, and tuck the loop out of the way. When you want to open the top, pull the loops.
hmm... that's an idea. I contemplated drilling a small hole in the ends of the tabs and threading a loop of cordage through but that wouldn't likely interfere with the door seal. Your idea might just work. Though I am not a fan of 550 for a few reasons. I have tons of cordage. Worth a try for sure. Thank you.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Thought of this.. but I envision it doing more bad than good.

Way tighter than my OE top. The Trektop Nx I had on my JKs used a different design. No plastic flappy clip things that secures the top deck to the top of the door surrounds. There was a rain gutter built into the top edge of the door surround and the top deck arms just laid in there. Much nicer design and I'm disappointed the design hasn't carried over to the TJ.

That makes it tighter since all the tension is now latched into the plastic flappy clip things.

hmm... that's an idea. I contemplated drilling a small hole in the ends of the tabs and threading a loop of cordage through but that wouldn't likely interfere with the door seal. Your idea might just work. Though I am not a fan of 550 for a few reasons. I have tons of cordage. Worth a try for sure. Thank you.

I've been using the 550 cord method for years now. You can even make it thinner by stripping out the inner cords.

Reactions: MikekiM
I wish mine was that tight. My flappy things come out when on the highway and when it’s on the trailer. I’ve had the vinyl replaced under warranty from Bestop and it still didn’t fix it

I use one of those plastic interior trim tools. I keep it in the door cubby.

Yep, the skinny long one with the 30deg upturn on the end. I use the flat part and hold the angled end. The one with the 90deg end would probably work well too.

Not my experience in the 2 1/2 years I've owned one. Unclamping the header bar at the windshield relaxes tension across the whole top.

Also, it will loosen up some over time and it won't be so difficult to slip those plastic clips out of the channel.

Not my experience in the 2 1/2 years I've owned one. Unclamping the header bar at the windshield relaxes tension across the whole top.

Also, it will loosen up some over time and it won't be so difficult to slip those plastic clips out of the channel.
My experience, as I try different ways to navigate this, is the opposite. Latching the header bar pulls the top deck down and forward . Releasing the header bar leaves only the side tabs still engaged and bearing 100% of any tension up or back.

Let me get to my jeep and I’ll show you a trick.
Standing by

I use an Ice Skate Lace Tightener, it also helps with the zipper pulls.

View attachment 361000

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7PSTD1/?tag=wranglerorg-20
No problem with any of the zippers. I have removed the rear corner stiffeners (always have) which makes stowing the windows easier and puts less tension across the entire top, yet doesn't seem to impact the side tabs.

I wish mine was that tight. My flappy things come out when on the highway and when it’s on the trailer. I’ve had the vinyl replaced under warranty from Bestop and it still didn’t fix it

I hate when my flappy thing comes out unexpectedly. Truth told I hate when it's flappy, regardless of when it comes out...