Need advice on a 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport

lucygirl525

I'm looking into buying a TJ and I had the owner send some photos of the frame and undercarriage to check for rust but I need feedback from people who know more than me!

Here's the info he provided:
4.0L engine
3" lift and 32" tires "great shape"
New shocks
AC works great
Manual 5-speed
150,000 miles
Clean title
He says "excellent" condition.

Asking $8,500. I was going to offer $7,500 due to rust underneath but I need ideas on if this is worth this much money and if that rust is something to run from! CHEERS
ba62b869a56a3f2e871c7031405bf6dd.jpg
884dbdd31a122c3efb72582ac7d3895c.jpg
d1c5c8ff29e1d8c8ba47111ec9e02f9c.jpg
13fecbed07ee740f11c7cab8471bd1b3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard! So, the 3rd pic makes me nervous, looks like a rusted through crack in the spring mount. Could be just the pic/angle or not. You need to check it for yourself, get pics, smack the frame with a hammer and listen for dull thuds (rust). Post up some pics if you get them. Don't buy if you are wary, keep looking until you find the one. Good luck!

Welcome aboard! So, the 3rd pic makes me nervous, looks like a rusted through crack in the spring mount. Could be just the pic/angle or not. You need to check it for yourself, get pics, smack the frame with a hammer and listen for dull thuds (rust). Post up some pics if you get them. Don't buy if you are wary, keep looking until you find the one. Good luck!
Thank you! I'll see if I can get out there to see it and I'll post pics if I can!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just looks like surface rust to me, other than that, it looks pretty clean. If you do get it, I would clean up and paint the frame to keep the surface rust from turning into something more major though.

Reactions: lucygirl525
Really check the frame, especially by the muffler as shown in the 4th pic. Looks pretty rusty around that frame opening, and could be indicative of more rust inside.

Reactions: lucygirl525