Need advice on possible 2003 Rubicon purchase

SCORE!

Awesome deal and not a bad list of TODOs. Since it needs diff lube, you can take the cover off and clean it up and repaint while it's off. If you go for the sand-blaster approach, do that before you change the lube.

SCORE!

Awesome deal and not a bad list of TODOs. Since it needs diff lube, you can take the cover off and clean it up and repaint while it's off. If you go for the sand-blaster approach, do that before you change the lube.

I did the oil change and drained and added new diff oil....just want to get it put back together so I can get the drag ling ans front end stuff done...then I'll get back to the diff stuff.....surpisingly the gear oil didnt look bad at all...

I tried to take the front diff cover off but the top 3 bolts are nearly impossible from me to get to...I dont have the proper tool I guess...

If you have the budget that steering setup would be a big upgrade over the OEM, since you have to replace it anyways.

the track bar and drag link need replacement asap.....Id Im eventually gonna do a lift that is under 4 inches, I should get an adjustable one correct? Not sure which track bar and drag link to get now as I will be putting on the lift in the future....

the track bar and drag link need replacement asap.....Id Im eventually gonna do a lift that is under 4 inches, I should get an adjustable one correct? Not sure which track bar and drag link to get now as I will be putting on the lift in the future....
The Currie currectlync comes with a new tie rod and a drag link. For track bar, yes adjustable. Brand is your choice, I have a Currie front, jks is another popular one here. It really helps to know your budget, are you shooting for top of the line brands like Currie, savvy or going for more middle of the road like Rubicon Express, to low quality like rusty's and rough country.

The Currie currectlync comes with a new tie rod and a drag link. For track bar, yes adjustable. Brand is your choice, I have a Currie front, jks is another popular one here. It really helps to know your budget, are you shooting for top of the line brands like Currie, savvy or going for more middle of the road like Rubicon Express, to low quality like rusty's and rough country.

Not looking for top of the line..id say middle of the road..Im in louisiana, and wont be doing anything crazy...Just mostly some mud and ditches...

Not looking for top of the line..id say middle of the road..Im in louisiana, and wont be doing anything crazy...Just mostly some mud and ditches...
That's fair enough. I would still say consider the currectlync, not because I think you will break an OEM, but because you are going to replace it anyways and might as well only replace it once. Plus hitting a submerged stump will do a number on a tie rod. Summit racing is where i got mine. It does say 4" lift, which mine is, but I've heard it works on lower like 3". Cheaper upgrade is to do the ZJ steering swap.

That's fair enough. I would still say consider the currectlync, not because I think you will break an OEM, but because you are going to replace it anyways and might as well only replace it once. Plus hitting a submerged stump will do a number on a tie rod. Summit racing is where i got mine

Im a little confused...If I get that Currectlync and put it on my stock rubicon I will have to do some modifications correct? And I can still use it when I eventully put the lift on?

That's fair enough. I would still say consider the currectlync, not because I think you will break an OEM, but because you are going to replace it anyways and might as well only replace it once. Plus hitting a submerged stump will do a number on a tie rod. Summit racing is where i got mine. It does say 4" lift, which mine is, but I've heard it works on lower like 3". Cheaper upgrade is to do the ZJ steering swap.

Reading where it wont work on stock height

I’d recommend the ZJ Tie Rod Conversion for the build you are describing. It will be beefier than stock and more than up to the 33’s you’ll be throwing at it, and it won’t break the bank.

I’d recommend the ZJ Tie Rod Conversion for the build you are describing. It will be beefier than stock and more than up to the 33’s you’ll be throwing at it, and it won’t break the bank.

Heres the issue...wondering if you can help.... I will be keeping it stock for a little while...but plan on adding the lift......Will the ZJ tie rod conversion work once I install the lift?

Reactions: JMT