Need advice on replacing rear brake hard lines

bruceco

TJ Enthusiast
I would suggest to just replace them at least at the back if you don't know how old they are.My 2000 tj needed them all and I got all the hard lines in stainless in a kit plug and play for $180 canadian here in ontario canada.Brakes are brakes and your safety should be first.Now when I have to slam them on in an emergency it will stop without a line failing because of age.Just saying.

In replacing my rear brakes and trying to remove the first wheel cylinder, my hard brake line is moving along with the fitting enough that I'm going to stop until I have replacement lines for both sides.

What are my options for replacing the two rear hard lines attached to the tee on the axle? Can I replace with some universal flexible stuff from an auto parts store or are hard lines required? I know I could get an entire hard line kit for like $100, but I'd really rather not go down that route at the moment if it isn't needed.

Suggest away.

Might still be available from Jeep prebent depending on the year. I need to replace the RH rear on my '01 because someone somewhere decided to use a store bought straight line and use it as-is, even though it is 10" too long. They looped it down by the differential cover and back up to the tube. OEM still available for mine. Will order it when I order a new passenger outside door handle. Luckily for me, when I replaced the wheel cylinders and had the same issue as you, I could pull some extra length out of the parts store line, cut the end, put the fitting on, and then reflare it.

I would suggest to just replace them at least at the back if you don't know how old they are.My 2000 tj needed them all and I got all the hard lines in stainless in a kit plug and play for $180 canadian here in ontario canada.Brakes are brakes and your safety should be first.Now when I have to slam them on in an emergency it will stop without a line failing because of age.Just saying.

Oh yeah, I'm replacing the rears without a doubt. I'd definitely like to have a non-leaky rear brake setup, so there isn't much of an option at this point.