Need advice on rust and potential TJ purchase

stylo328

TJ Enthusiast
Good afternoon everyone. I hope this note finds you all well leading up to an amazing Thanksgiving holiday. It’s been a while since I’ve been on this site and it’s been a while since I’ve owned the TJ. I am contemplating a purchase off of eBay but need some advice in reference to the rust on the undercarriage. if I purchase this jeep, it will be shipped to southwest Florida. I am no expert on jeeps, no expert on TJ‘s, and no expert on rust. I am looking for your collective thoughts as far as whether or not this is worth the investment. I am fairly handy and have rebuilt. The pumpkins on my previous, TJ, redid the brakes, and did several mechanical upgrades myself. What I really need to know is is this worth grinding down and spring down or should I pass and look for something with a clean her undercarriage?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1448131721...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Thank you in advance.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Good afternoon everyone. I hope this note finds you all well leading up to an amazing Thanksgiving holiday. It’s been a while since I’ve been on this site and it’s been a while since I’ve owned the TJ. I am contemplating a purchase off of eBay but need some advice in reference to the rust on the undercarriage. if I purchase this jeep, it will be shipped to southwest Florida. I am no expert on jeeps, no expert on TJ‘s, and no expert on rust. I am looking for your collective thoughts as far as whether or not this is worth the investment. I am fairly handy and have rebuilt. The pumpkins on my previous, TJ, redid the brakes, and did several mechanical upgrades myself. What I really need to know is is this worth grinding down and spring down or should I pass and look for something with a clean her undercarriage?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1448131721...d=link&campid=5337789113&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

Thank you in advance.

Run The Hell Away !!!!!!!!

Reactions: tr21triton
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
The dealership offering that Jeep is in a RUST BELT city...
I looked thru the pictures and there is way TOO MUCH rust on the exterior of the frame rails and the tub where the body mounts are located. If the outside is any indication; the only thing holding the inside of frame rails together is rust holding hands.
I would give that Jeep a hard PASS and as others have posted RUN from that deal.....

You can see the rust pretty well on the 8th photo. Looks bad. Considering the that it looks pretty damn nice otherwise yet still priced at 9.9k suggests that that rust is REALLY bad. No way I’m buying that, especially if I can’t go look at it in person.

I agree run run run. Unless you really want a project. But that is overpriced. I am very suspicious of all the chrome diamond plate. They are covering some of the biggest trouble spots at on the body. Just the fact that they didn't show any frame pictures makes me wary.

Thank you all very much! I appreciate you saving me from a major headache and disappointment. I want to buy a white six cylinder manual TJ and polish it up as my middle son will be turning 15 in a few months and I plan to have it be his first car. If anyone spots a decent deal out there for 10k or less with air-conditioning, please shoot me a note

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Thank you all very much! I appreciate you saving me from a major headache and disappointment. I want to buy a white six cylinder manual TJ and polish it up as my middle son will be turning 15 in a few months and I plan to have it be his first car. If anyone spots a decent deal out there for 10k or less with air-conditioning, please shoot me a note

Look Local, and don't import NJ rusty junk! GL

Reactions: John Cooper
Good advice here, keep looking

520A4A43-CD1D-4B8A-8596-41F4F0511452.png

B96F02ED-44C8-4A04-A1AF-492F77BAF938.png

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and BlueC
Yeah, man, normally I'd say go have a look if it was down the street from you, but there is absolutely no reason for someone who lives in Florida to buy a Jeep from New Jersey. I'm in Mass and bought a Jeep from Florida tho! In your case, there is no reason to bother with this. Even if the frame is reasonably solid (unlikely) there is so much rust under this that everything you try to do will require a oxy-acet torch.

No way, get one local, should be easy to find for you.

Reactions: AndyG
You being in florida and getting a jeep from up north is like overlooking nice girls at church to go to a strip club-

Forum rules mandate you must purchase within the state of Florida or only states bordering Florida. Now that @Jerry Bransford lives there that may change, he hasn’t issued a ruling yet.

Last edited:
That diamond plate fuel skid plate, along with that front mud flap make me think that's the exact TJ this thread is about.

I gotta ask, How'd you get that?

Yeah, these are pics of this Jeep….83 pics if I recall. Diamond plate on the top of the front fender and concern too. Likely rusted through under there…..as mentioned better to keep walking on this one.

keep a eye on marketplace a good one will show up if your patient .