Need build order advice

AussieNick

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Last weekend I bought a 98 TJ with 177k miles on it as a project for my kids. It’s the 4.0 with a 5 speed manual transmission. They want to learn how to work on cars and being a Jeep enthusiast I picked this platform for cheap price point and easy to work on. This is my first TJ.

Goals:
1. Teach kids to wrench
2. Reliability for kids to drive to school
3. Lift with 35” tires for SoCal trails

Known issues:
1. Power steering pump needs a rebuild
2. Transmission is really hard to shift
3. Top end clattering loudly
4. Needs new front seats and seat belts
5. Air conditioning doesn’t work
6. Parking brake doesn’t work
7. Transfer case doesn’t engage 4hi or low

There are probably a bunch of other things to do and I’m really planning to service every single part on this Jeep over the next 12 months.

I’d like advice on the order I should tackle the build. I was going to do the lift last thinking it was least important but if I start playing with the steering or brakes, should I have a lift strategy before I start?

All advice and other comments welcome, including pointers or links to other threads.

Last weekend I bought a 98 TJ with 177k miles on it as a project for my kids. It’s the 4.0 with a 5 speed manual transmission. They want to learn how to work on cars and being a Jeep enthusiast I picked this platform for cheap price point and easy to work on. This is my first TJ.

Goals:
1. Teach kids to wrench
2. Reliability for kids to drive to school
3. Lift with 35” tires for SoCal trails

Known issues:

There are probably a bunch of other things to do and I’m really planning to service every single part on this Jeep over the next 12 months.

I’d like advice on the order I should tackle the build. I was going to do the lift last thinking it was least important but if I start playing with the steering or brakes, should I have a lift strategy before I start?

All advice and other comments welcome, including pointers or links to other threads.
1 replace, do not rebuild
2 auto or stick?
3 piston slap or cam lobes wiped/collapsed lifters?
4 do a search on here, Scion and other foreign cars are popular and comfortable
5 Get a factory service manual and find the leaks
6 drum or discs?
7 probably linkage

Figuring out what's wrong with the motor would be my #1 priority, then the trans & transfer case. The rest is all "optional" to some degree.

Known issues:

This order starts simple and works up. Also seems reasonable for making it road worthy and safe.
1. Parking brake
2. Seats and seat belts
3. Power steering
4. Clattering
5. Transmission
6. Transfer case
7. AC

Reactions: Alex01
JMT has the order I'd go with. Make it safe to drive first. Generally a 4.0 can keep going with a lot going wrong with it. All straight 6s can. But ALWAYS safety first. Especially with kids.

Reactions: HarleyMick
This order starts simple and works up. Also seems reasonable for making it road worthy and safe.
1. Parking brake
2. Seats and seat belts
3. Power steering
4. Clattering
5. Transmission
6. Transfer case
7. AC
Thank you! This fits my line of thinking also and will be much more engaging for the kids. I just read your build thread! Thanks for sharing and I am learning a lot from it.

Reactions: JMT
Building a TJ to run 35" tires and "cheap" do not belong in the same post.

What kind of trails do you want to run? Being your kids first Jeep you may be better off on 31-33" tires from a build complexity and cost point of view.
Thank you! I really made a poor assumption about the 35’s but I am course corrected now.

My other ride is a mildly built JK and we are running everything in Anza Borrego. I’d like to run John Bull in this TJ. Could I run the Rubicon in a TJ on 33’s with a Dana 44 and locker?

I did it on 32's, no lockers. Had to pull cable twice, but I made it. Get some under armor, cause you'll kiss a few obstacles. Oil pan skid, lower control arm bracket sliders, and think about a mild tummy tuck to get that frickin shovel up some.
26.JPG
31.JPG

This is where the missing transfer case linkage should be, correct? Anyone know the part number? Thanks!

23D436D6-EABD-4D9E-AB9B-4968D167C553.jpeg

Try Davies Jeep for the odd parts or car-parts.com
This is where the missing transfer case linkage should be, correct? Anyone know the part number? Thanks!

View attachment 111261
The correct part number is a savvy cable. It is well worth the money . Not saying the linkage can’t be restored, it can. And you can also find a black and white television, and use a hand saw , if you like doing things the hard way.

The cable is smooth , and most importantly, it eliminates the vague feel of a linkage. I think you may prevent damage with these by avoiding partial engagement.

I'll be installing a cable shifter in the next week or two and can send you all of the stock linkages if you aren't in a hurry. I'd do it for whatever it costs to ship from San Diego.
Thanks. I’m in San Diego, Rancho Bernardo. I’ll take a look at the cable shifter too.

Reactions: EzPeezy