Need Engine rebuilding resources/info

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Welp, my 4.0 in my '04 has a rod knock (according to my mechanic it's in the beginning stages) so I've decided I'm going to rebuild it myself. So what I'm looking for is "engine building 101" study materials; books, specific videos, articles, threads, etc. that will guide me through the process from removing the engine to reinstalling it. ( I have been planning on replacing my fenders so I'll be taking off the whole front end)

I've rebuilt the top end on an air cooled I-4 motorcycle engine and other small engine type stuff but never a bottom end or anything automotive.

Some of the questions rolling around my head are:

-Besides the factory manual(which I downloaded) which one is best, Chiltons or Haynes?

-As long as I'm in there, what else should I replace? Engine accessories and or other under hood components that would be worthwhile replacing while It's all apart.

-Realistically, what is this going to cost? Rebuild kit, machine work.....

-What are some good rebuild kits?

I thought about a stroker but have decided against it, I'm happy with stock HP and reliability. I'm not going to rebuild the trans as It was done by the PO not too many miles ago. After the initial stages of denial, being bummed out, anger, I've decided I'll make the best of it and enjoy the learning experience.