Need exhaust / oil pan help

UglyDuck

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Removing oil pan or at least trying to. This darn exhaust showed up out of nowhere and decided to get in the way. 2002 Sport, has two downpipes from the exhaust manifold that join into one before the catalytic converter. There’s a flange on both side of the cat before going back to the muffler and tailpipe.

Do I need to completely remove the header from the engine - disconnected at exhaust manifold and flange in front of Cat?

Thanks in advance

-Jason

BED99FDC-DDF0-4B22-90C4-A65761232B7D.jpeg

01115A64-0C45-4466-BFF2-BDE683968E39.jpeg

Don’t disconnect the header just undo the four bolts holding the y pipee up to the header down pipe and at the skid , check the cats while its off, and be careful with your sensors-

Reactions: Irun and TJ Jim
Don’t disconnect the header just undo the four bolts holding the y pipee up to the header down pipe and at the skid , check the cats while its off, and be careful with your sensors-

Ok so the 4 bolts right next to the upper o2 sensors; and the 3 bolts at the flange in front of the cat?
As you can see I sprayed them with PB blaster and loosened the car flange. Man that was stuck good.

8C50C5BC-3655-4306-8F6D-D87242D25EF6.jpeg

A31B8822-6856-43B7-9974-4AE531D0053F.jpeg

Ok so the 4 bolts right next to the upper o2 sensors; and the 3 bolts at the flange in front of the cat?
As you can see I sprayed them with PB blaster and loosened the car flange. Man that was stuck good.

View attachment 341206

View attachment 341207

Yes and you did the right thing by using the penetrant- Kroil Is rumored to be even better- I had to replace that assembly recently
and man and those were incredibly hard to get off-

The 4 you showed above
the cats are 14mm I think, a swivel impact socket with a 6 and 12” extension helps, a 14mm gear wrench is handy too- its a job- Be sure to disconnect your 2 downstream sensors before you let the thing drop down

Don’t fail to check the catalytic converter media if you have a late model TJ it will go out somewhere between 70 and 100,000 miles fairly predictably- Look closely to see if it has came loose and even shift a downward a little bit in the swell.

What has you needing to pull your pan?

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Ok cool I got it. Not too bad getting those upper exhaust bolts after all.

I’ll post a video to my build page in a bit.

Why am I doing it you ask - isn’t this how to do an oil change on a TJ? 🤪

Rear main seal.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Jim and AndyG
Ok cool I got it. Not too bad getting those upper exhaust bolts after all.

I’ll post a video to my build page in a bit.

Why am I doing it you ask - isn’t this how to do an oil change on a TJ? 🤪

Rear main seal.

Yes - they are leakers - they change their own oil 🤣

Sounds good man, all the best- Andy

In 2017 I had to do the same thing. Me and my buddy couldn’t get any of those exhaust bolts to budge, even after having sprayed them with PB blaster that he had. I told him about the 50/50 acetone/auto trans fluid mix I had read about. We sprayed it on them somewher around midnight-ish. Went back at it the next morning and they all came out without much effort. Made a believer out both of us and we both now keep some handy. Kroil is really good too. I keep some of it around as well.

Reactions: tr21triton