Need expert advise before I buy please!

Elizardi

Hello! Thank you in advance for your help. I was looking at a 2000 Wrangler Sport. 108k miles. Had the Jeep inspected and report came back with:
The underside shows areas of minor surface rust. Attached pic.
Also, as for paint condition it said:
I noted some rock chips on the front end. I noted wear and some overspray. Attached pics.
I just want to know if these are normal and nothing to worry about or red flags to walk away from sale.
The report concluded with this:
Engine computer Showed one system in not ready mode but no codes present. I noted full engine bay fluids.

I found no issues on the test drive. The engine had plenty of power and there were no misfires or smoking. The transmission shifted as designed with no harsh engagement or slipping. The steering was responsive and the suspension was firm and the vehicle handled well. There were no abnormal vibrations or odd noises. The brakes were firm with no pulsation felt. There were no leaks found to the underside of the vehicle.
Buy or pass?? Please help.

6081BA24-F955-4798-8B72-9E97900C19EB.jpeg

740362B2-6701-44F2-9F4F-68FC33F0B366.jpeg

C4EE2CBA-2CA2-464A-A787-D37EFBCFA616.jpeg

C6C74E59-D8B4-4675-9C10-844413F76B86.jpeg

12DC7383-625D-4985-9842-C6C4D61038AF.jpeg

529423A1-46A9-4478-9E59-DCE5B73ED230.jpeg

D1429C9D-90A2-48B5-85F3-FA30BCA954D1.jpeg

I'm not sure what to think about the paint on the hinge & wheel well, but everything else looks pretty good. Does the red match the original paint code? Definitely peel back the carpet all over and see what's hiding there and follow all the other "buying a TJ" guide steps.

He's got a transfer case drop, so he probably had some driveline vibrations at one point. I'm guessing there's a lift with what appears to be like new springs & shock boots so the lift may be recent. I can see there's no SYE, likely no adjustable arms, which caused his vibes. So why did he lift it only to turn around and sell it right away?

I'd probably buy it based on what you've told us, but I'm also curious about the asking price, and of course the caveat that I only know what you've told us.

It almost looks like it was repainted , and the original color was either white or silver. The shocks don't match front to rear, but that is something inexpensive to correct.

As was said, it looks good overall, just look into the U-Joints, check the front steering components for wear, and if you buy, make sure to change out all the fluids (both Diffs, engine, trans, T-Case, PS, Brakes)

These are all great points. Asking price is $16,700.
I’m just not sure about the paint job on the wheel base.

These are all great points. Asking price is $16,700.
I’m just not sure about the paint job on the wheel base.

A good cleaning and some satin black paint in the wheel wells would look good. but from the pics, it looks like it is just cosmetic.

It almost looks like it was repainted , and the original color was either white or silver. The shocks don't match front to rear, but that is something inexpensive to correct.

As was said, it looks good overall, just look into the U-Joints, check the front steering components for wear, and if you buy, make sure to change out all the fluids (both Diffs, engine, trans, T-Case, PS, Brakes)
Thank you. This was the inspector’s summary. Hope this answers some questions.

9D6E3839-D8DC-46A2-957E-1EE4066EB3FB.jpeg

767E649A-5504-4243-8EC9-03668E54AB0C.jpeg

Is this a Rubicon? price for an X or sport seems a little high. did you pull a carfax to see if it was in an accident? also run the vin to get the original build sheet that will tell you original color.

Is this a Rubicon? price for an X or sport seems a little high. did you pull a carfax to see if it was in an accident? also run the vin to get the original build sheet that will tell you original color.
Have you seen the prices lately for these? There was a 100k mile 2005 TJ X that sold locally recently (private seller) for close to $20k. There is an Orange TJ X in the classified forum here with ~40k miles listed for over $20k. Prices are going up on these Jeeps...

Have you seen the prices lately for these? There was a 100k mile 2005 TJ X that sold locally recently (private seller) for close to $20k. There is an Orange TJ X in the classified forum here with ~40k miles listed for over $20k. Prices are going up on these Jeeps...
I understand that but I think that is too high...maybe I am out of touch. If i am thinking of the same orange one as you he has dropped the price every other day and really did not see much interest. If that is the case i might dump my impact orange X for twice what I paid?

I payed 9k for my 120k mile 2005 X with mainly steel bumpers, tire carrier, and set of 5 chrome aftermarket wheels wrapped in well used 31s. It did have rust I found after buying it (I wasn't born knowing what to look for when I bought it), but I welded the important stuff and I will soon fix the floorboard rust lol. Even 100k+ mile Jeep TJ with a solid frame IMO isn't worth even 12k, I've seen better deals than this one out there. And this guy did add a T-Case drop which indicates a driveline vibration patch of some sort which is "OK" but you can make him feel bad for not buying a Slip Yoke Eliminator and adjustable control arms to fix the pinon angle of the driveshaft and the caster angle of the suspension. Working this into the price is something you should try because it's damn better than paying out the ass.

(p.s. If it helps you feel any better about the current used car market, you will have much better luck finding a less rusty Jeep in Florida. Find out if that Jeep spent it's whole life in Florida through Car Fax or whoever helps tack this. Florida is nice when looking for a Wrangler because they don't put salt on the roads during the winter that eat the hell out of the frames like they do up here. Also don't worry about faded plastic, 99% of TJ's out there have faded plastics, just a thing with old cars. Just paint it or keep adding plastic restorer every month.)

Last edited:
Florida is nice when looking for a Wrangler because they don't put salt on the roads during the winter that eat the hell out of the frames

I can attest to this, we purchased our '05 TJ new in south FL, and it lived there up until this summer... only a little surface flashing on the frame, and not a speck anywhere else

Welcome to your new rabbit hole! Jeep is an acronym that has many meanings, but my favorites are: Just Enter Every Puddle, and of course Just Empty Every Pocket.

They are fun, one of the best things you can do is to get involved with a local Jeep group. You will find that most owners are really good people, and are fun to hang out with.

Welcome to your new rabbit hole! Jeep is an acronym that has many meanings, but my favorites are: Just Enter Every Puddle, and of course Just Empty Every Pocket.

They are fun, one of the best things you can do is to get involved with a local Jeep group. You will find that most owners are really good people, and are fun to hang out with.
Nice, post up some pics when you get a chance. Most people buy the jeep then join the forum, you did it the right way.