Need General Jeep Advice

T_Hase89

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My wife works with a lady who has a 15 year old son. Dad not in picture, he gets bullied because he’s built like a linebacker and has a lot of build up anger. So I opted to take him and his mom wheeling this weekend just to give him a chance to get out and try new things and see if I could help out.

Now he and her are hooked (I’m a bad influence 🤭 lol) and they’re looking for a cheap Jeep for them.

They’re wanting my help finding one but are below my $ range on what I’d pass on and what not.

So far, a slew of YJs have been sent to me to look at picture wise. What kind of issues do they typically have? 4 cylinder ok? So far all I see is bad paint, high mile 4 bangers with cosmetic issues that I wouldn’t even take a second look at. Not one imho worth going and looking at all at this point and I am afraid to spend their money one something shit.

TLDR: what are YJ problems and what should be avoided.

Why not an XJ? I would probably choose that over the YJ personally. They can be had for very cheap too!

Props to you as well for going out of your way to reach out to someone who sounds like they could use it.

An XJ was the first choice I brought up to them but right now they’re hooked on the whole removable top thing ;)

Reactions: lowranger
An XJ was the first choice I brought up to them but right now they’re hooked on the whole removable top thing ;)

I get that. In that case, a YJ would be worth considering, or what about even a SE model TJ? They tend to be very cheap as the 4 cylinder models aren't that sought after.

I get that. In that case, a YJ would be worth considering, or what about even a SE model TJ? They tend to be very cheap as the 4 cylinder models aren't that sought after.

I’ve not asked budget, but based off what they’re sending me, $3kish seems to be about max. Around here, any TJ is more than that. I’ll keep shopping and viewing but I’d feel terrible to find something just to have it need all kinds of crap.

Will it be a beater rig or a daily driver?

SE could work up to 33's with the right re-gearing.

If they're willing to build it up over time.

Something like your rig is not really feasible for them at $3K 🤣

Will it be a beater rig or a daily driver?

SE could work up to 33's with the right re-gearing.

If they're willing to build it up over time.

Something like your rig is not really feasible for them at $3K 🤣

They say a toy, but I imagine he will be driving it to school. They don't expect it to be like mine, but I am more focused on the reliable - bang for the buck jeep right now. And man it is HARD at that price point. Any it is only going to get worse as tax season rolls around lol. I am going to continue to persuade them towards the XJ side as I can find them nice examples all day long between 3-4k.

I’ve not asked budget, but based off what they’re sending me, $3kish seems to be about max. Around here, any TJ is more than that. I’ll keep shopping and viewing but I’d feel terrible to find something just to have it need all kinds of crap.

What about the option of just saving for a little longer until they can get something decent?

For 3k they're going to end up with a project that needs a lot of work and TLC. Not something reliable I'd be trying to take off-road.

Reactions: Web98
They say a toy, but I imagine he will be driving it to school. They don't expect it to be like mine, but I am more focused on the reliable - bang for the buck jeep right now. And man it is HARD at that price point. Any it is only going to get worse as tax season rolls around lol. I am going to continue to persuade them towards the XJ side as I can find them nice examples all day long between 3-4k.
Suggest they get on this forum. That might give them some perspective.

Reactions: ranwilrw
If he’s built like a linebacker , he should be the bully .

Moving along...awesome of you to do that ....young men need good male role models ...that’s just a fact .

She’s likely raising him on her own...and that’s tough ...so try try try to avoid a money pit .

He needs a car soon , there is a TJ in some old guys garage somewhere for him . Great first vehicle if he’s a sensible kid . It will make him friends too.

It’s the tj’s that are built poorly that scare me .

I had a 1988 YJ 4 cyl with a 5 speed with 31s for several years, never had a problem with it. Used it off road a lot. Even took it through the Rubicon with no issues. All I did to it was put a 2" lift on it and a winch. Oh....and some rock sliders for the Rubicon trip.

Nothing overtly wrong with a YJ, just different tech and style. +1 on the XJ. Plentiful and cheap. Sacrifices must be made when budget conflicts with desires. Stay away from rusty rigs, that would be a powerful dissuader. Good job with the kid & mom.

If he’s built like a linebacker , he should be the bully .

T_Hase89 said the kid is "built like a linebacker and has a lot of build up anger". The fact that he's not the bully is pretty impressive due the second half of that description if you ask me.

I'm not sure how much T_Hass89 has going on in his life but luckily he does have enough time to own a Jeep and go wheeling and he took that lady and her son. Good job!

I'm not saying T_Hass89 has to do any of this but here's some ways to help him (and them).

Take him wheeling again without her. Not that she's a problem but boys don't need constant mothers even if they are great mothers. Maybe your wife and her could go shopping (and get you both Jeep shirts) or whatever women do together.

On the way to wheeling or at any other time, take him to see some Jeeps for sale. Show him the difference between the cheapest Jeep you would buy in his situation and what they have showed you. It will help him understand.

Do you need an oil change? Tires rotated? Can he be trusted with a wrench? Linebackers should be able to pick up a wheel/tire with no problem. He may need some guidance on NOT overtightening everything that needs a wrench. Who knows, he may have seen his mom trying to change a flat tire by standing on the lug wrench because she's not strong enough and now he thinks everyone needs to stand on it.

I'm sure there are other things that would help them but those are three Jeep related things that come to mind.

Oh yeah, maybe this kid isn't ready for something like this, heck depending on how he acts and where it would happen, maybe you and I wouldn't be ready for this either, but a 15 year old behind the wheel in 4LO in some mud can do nothing but help him and his mother. She's still out shopping right?

T_Hase89 said the kid is "built like a linebacker and has a lot of build up anger". The fact that he's not the bully is pretty impressive due the second half of that description if you ask me.

I'm not sure how much T_Hass89 has going on in his life but luckily he does have enough time to own a Jeep and go wheeling and he took that lady and her son. Good job!

I'm not saying T_Hass89 has to do any of this but here's some ways to help him (and them).

Take him wheeling again without her. Not that she's a problem but boys don't need constant mothers even if they are great mothers. Maybe your wife and her could go shopping (and get you both Jeep shirts) or whatever women do together.

On the way to wheeling or at any other time, take him to see some Jeeps for sale. Show him the difference between the cheapest Jeep you would buy in his situation and what they have showed you. It will help him understand.

Do you need an oil change? Tires rotated? Can he be trusted with a wrench? Linebackers should be able to pick up a wheel/tire with no problem. He may need some guidance on NOT overtightening everything that needs a wrench. Who knows, he may have seen his mom trying to change a flat tire by standing on the lug wrench because she's not strong enough and now he thinks everyone needs to stand on it.

I'm sure there are other things that would help them but those are three Jeep related things that come to mind.

Oh yeah, maybe this kid isn't ready for something like this, heck depending on how he acts and where it would happen, maybe you and I wouldn't be ready for this either, but a 15 year old behind the wheel in 4LO in some mud can do nothing but help him and his mother. She's still out shopping right?
It is man I'm just using a little hyperbole.

Winter is coming (where have I heard that before) and Jeep prices around here are on the downturn. I'd be best to save a few extra pennies and buy during the "off-season", people may start getting anxious for some extra spending money and willing to part with the Jeep that's just sitting around.
If I had someone helping me when I bought my Jeep, I would have wanted them to tell me to hold out just a little bit longer.

See: https://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/d/boonville-jeep-wrangler/7009133120.html

Reactions: AndyG
Winter is coming (where have I heard that before) and Jeep prices around here are on the downturn. I'd be best to save a few extra pennies and buy during the "off-season", people may start getting anxious for some extra spending money and willing to part with the Jeep that's just sitting around.
If I had someone helping me when I bought my Jeep, I would have wanted them to tell me to hold out just a little bit longer.

See: https://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/d/boonville-jeep-wrangler/7009133120.html
I felt like a genius when I purchased my second TJ because of all the I learned on the first one and all that I learned here .

I was so much better prepared to evaluate the vehicle.

When I started my construction company my mentor told me that you will get to the point where you going to a job site and know what you're looking for and things get easier.

That was an absolutely huge statement.

Last edited:
That white TJ might be the ticket depending on what they mean by new engine. One with 210,000 replaced by one with 180,000 that runs? The good thing about getting a TJ is you could potentially help them more based on personal experience working on yours. It also looks sorta trail ready even if it's not really.

I didn't have a lot of money as a kid, so I know how the difference between $3,000 and $4,600 might feel like the difference between $30,000 and $46,000. You want wrenching but not excessive, so they can get in it and go to school. Cool enough for a kid, trail ready enough for some fun. Then teach them how not to roll it over and bust it up in a year.

The worst thing is one that is always broken down and/or ends up costing more than they paid to get right. Broken frame, broken transmission, axle problems off the bat, etc.

That awesome you took that young man and his mom riding.... there need to be more people like you in this world.. 👍🏻.... on the Jeep situation I think they should look for a tj edition and maybe WE as a group could help with finding stuff to help them get a nice driving Jeep.. stock bumpers or old stuff laying in shop that’s in the way, lights, etc, I think a stock Jeep for sale on the side of the road, not on a forum or auto trader could possibly be obtainable for them if we all look around..

• Love
Reactions: AndyG and T_Hase89

That Jeep is 35 minutes away. I don’t normally check CL anymore. I’ll show that to them haha. But yes, I’m trying to do the best I can.

I’m collecting parts for a TJ6 build and will be inviting him over to help me with it. I’ll be learning a lot of new things myself (body work) but I’m a hell of a welder so I hope I can teach him a few things and learn a few thing with him along the way. And it’s always nice to have a gopher in the shop. That’s how I learned. Haha

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ and Hog
I don’t normally check CL anymore
You're not missing much, same jeeps for sale, some I've seen for almost a year on there. It's getting harder to find parts on there as well, I believe the scammers are taking a toll on people willing to deal with CL. Facebook marketplace, although the search function is trash, seems to be the go to spot.

Reactions: Hog