Need help Automatic transmission is staling

antonio

So has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing? Hopefully you guys have!! Here is what is going on!! The engine stalls at very low rpm or when I try to change it from drive into reverse! I’m unsure what’s going on! The Jeep also shakes periodically. Not a violent shake but enough to rattle things around! I want to know exactly what it is so if I can’t fix it I can tell the mechanic exactly what I want! Thanks guys!!

So has anyone ever heard of this kind of thing? Hopefully you guys have!! Here is what is going on!! The engine stalls at very low rpm or when I try to change it from drive into reverse! I’m unsure what’s going on! The Jeep also shakes periodically. Not a violent shake but enough to rattle things around! I want to know exactly what it is so if I can’t fix it I can tell the mechanic exactly what I want! Thanks guys!!

Need a bit more information first:
  • Year of your Wrangler
  • Engine? 4.0, 2.5l, or 2.4l?
  • Lift/Tires?
  • Stock Axle Gearing?
  • Have you checked the fluid level on your automatic?
  • When was the last time your changed the fluid and filter in the transmission?
There were 3 different automatic transmission used in TJ Wranglers and without knowing any of the above information there isn't much we can help you with!

Thanks
Grant

While I have a 42RLE unlike a 2002 which I think has a 32RH I have had an unstable idle that has caused stalling on my 4.0. I'd change the spark plugs, especially if you don't know when they were last done. I'd also look into cleaning or replacing the IAC or idle air control valve. That could really help your idle. Don't know much about the 32RH, maybe somebody else can help with that. I don't think the tire size or gearing is relevant.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
While I have a 42RLE unlike a 2002 which I think has a 32RH I have had an unstable idle that has caused stalling on my 4.0. I'd change the spark plugs, especially if you don't know when they were last done. I'd also look into cleaning or replacing the IAC or idle air control valve. That could really help your idle. Don't know much about the 32RH, maybe somebody else can help with that. I don't think the tire size or gearing is relevant.

Probably not but more information is never not helpful either!

The trans itself is unli9to be the cause of you stalling. More likley it's the load the trans places on the engine that has an idle circuit too low. Look for good clean connections on your power and ground wires and a buildup of crap in the throttle body idle control valve. If you give it a bit of gas while shifting the trans does it still stall? Or only when shifting? Or even after in gear and then foot off gas?

Need a bit more information first:
  • Year of your Wrangler
  • Engine? 4.0, 2.5l, or 2.4l?
  • Lift/Tires?
  • Stock Axle Gearing?
  • Have you checked the fluid level on your automatic?
  • When was the last time your changed the fluid and filter in the transmission?
There were 3 different automatic transmission used in TJ Wranglers and without knowing any of the above information there isn't much we can help you with!

Thanks
Grant
2002 wrangler with a 4.0
Stock gearing
And levels are up to par and I’ve changed the fluid like four times in the last 4 months I’m fixing the Jeep from a accident and it’s been sitting for a few years

Changed the plugs already! The IAC?