Need help before removing transfer case skid on 03 Rubicon

1st question. The smaller crossmember in front, with only two bolts in it, is a transmission support. It was only used on Autos and is generally thrown away once the vehicle is lifted. It is a factory piece though. It also holds the transmission skid (the small piece running lengthwise between the smaller crossmember and the larger T-case skid). It will need to be removed.
Hello Mike,

another dumb question.. I also have the smaller crossmember in the front part of my belly skid plate and..... "thrown away once the vehicle is lifted" the transmission support looks like is attached to the rest of the skid plate, by saying thrown away you mean to cut it down? and.... if I get a high clearance skid plate (looking for barnes) without that transmission support of the small crossmember in the front, wouldn't my rig be more exposed? I mean... that small part is covered by that plate.... once removed am I not more in risk of a rock smashing there? or is really not necessary at all? thanks!

1658880408299.png

Hello Mike,

another dumb question.. I also have the smaller crossmember in the front part of my belly skid plate and..... "thrown away once the vehicle is lifted" the transmission support looks like is attached to the rest of the skid plate, by saying thrown away you mean to cut it down? and.... if I get a high clearance skid plate (looking for barnes) without that transmission support of the small crossmember in the front, wouldn't my rig be more exposed? I mean... that small part is covered by that plate.... once removed am I not more in risk of a rock smashing there? or is really not necessary at all? thanks!

View attachment 346104

I believe the small plate there is bolted to the larger skid plate.

The reason you need to remove that crossmember is the drive shaft will crash into it when you droop out.

I believe the small plate there is bolted to the larger skid plate.

The reason you need to remove that crossmember is the drive shaft will crash into it when you droop out.

I already fix that by trimming that part haha!! I will get a new skid plate and reuse this part of the tranny protection.. Is bolt on!!

IMG-20220727-WA0028 (002).jpg