Need help diagnosing steering shimmy

cooper32

Professional Gear Grinder
Supporting Member
So I have a little bit of a wheel shimmy. I had full on death wobble (pants were shat), got an alignment, and now it's much better. My question is this. The driver side front wheel is tight at 9-3, 12-6, and has no ball joint movement. All bushings appear to be in decent shape side to side. The passenger front wheel has a clicking sound when racked side to side at 9-3, and when pulled in and out at 12-6. I'm thinking (and hoping) wheel hub and bearing? Tie rod end is tight. Does not budge at all. Ball joints don't move when I put a crowbar under the tire and pull up. Thoughts? 117k miles and 2 inch lift.

Are you just shaking everything by hand, or are you doing a dry steering test with the steering wheel?
Trackbar joints?
Hub assemblies aren't that hard to change.
Do you know the maintenance history?

I've done both tests. No play in anything other than what I can hear when hand shaking. Track bar was replaced, no change but a new part will never hurt. No history. I'm hoping it's the hub honestly, depending on what others have had.

Sounds like it. You could do a grease job. Might short term fix.

I just ordered a hub off of RockAuto. I'll replace it and report back if it worked. May take a while because I live in rusty shitbox land and who knows how easy these bolts will be.

I just ordered a hub off of RockAuto. I'll replace it and report back if it worked. May take a while because I live in rusty shitbox land and who knows how easy these bolts will be.

Are your tires perfectly balanced? That’s the next step after an alignment.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi