Need help finding Mopar crank position sensor

bagpiper22

2001 4.0 auto. Need to replace crank position sensor. Part # 4897321AA. Most sites show it as discontinued, replaced by 4897321AB, but the Mopar sites I've visited are showing that discontinued as well.

IMG_2466.PNG

RockAuto shows the part # I'm looking for, but out of stock.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reactions: RiverDawg24
You could likely find an original on car-part.com (they are a salvage yard search). If you do, be sure to get pictures. I’ve had them incorrectly represent a CKS as a CPS

NTK is $24. All my sensors are crap ebay and work fine, I carry spares but at $15 a pop who cares? Mopar sensors are not going to be available in the future, it is time to try new stuff, especially at these prices.

NTK is $24. All my sensors are crap ebay and work fine, I carry spares but at $15 a pop who cares? Mopar sensors are not going to be available in the future, it is time to try new stuff, especially at these prices.
@pagrey where did you get the NTK for $24? If nothing else, I can find out if the crank sensor is causing my misfire issues...

Thanks!

EDIT: found it on rockauto for $24. Ordered...thanks!

Last edited:
Lots of things can cause issues with those, I think there is even some problem with the clock spring on the steering column getting wet and causing the reference voltage to go haywire. I don't remember the details, hope the sensor fixes your issue.

@pagrey it’s very frustrating… Driving around town locally the jeep is fine, but as soon as I get on the highway I get everything from misfire codes on all six cylinders, spark coil errors, crankshaft/camshaft sensor errors, etc.

Figure if I start with the most likely culprit, and online research seems to point to the crank position sensor, I’ve got a decent chance of eliminating it, or at least taking one of the sensors out of the equation.

Has the inside of your Jeep been wet recently? I'd carefully check the wiring harness, especially around the block, intake manifold and the wiring back down to the transfer case. Also check those grounds, the one on the block by the oil filter and firewall. Sensor/wiring issues are a pain, there is no doubt about it.

Nope, bone dry. Mostly because I haven’t been taking it out. I’ve checked all the grounds in the entire engine compartment. Each one was removed sanded clean and replaced.

I remember seeing a multimeter test for the plug from the PCM going to the crank sensor. Should show 5 V or something, but I can’t find any more info to do the test.

The orange wire that is in the three wire connector near the starter is for the CKPS reference voltage. You can test it by back probing the harness connector with that wire in it.

This video will assist you to test your CKPS.

Reactions: bagpiper22
I just had this exact same experience trying to find CPS. For my 2000 TJ 4.0. I ordered from Three different online MoPar sites That said it was in stock only to have them cancel my order or advise weeks long backlog. I finally gave up after four weeks(Morris 4x4 strung me along for weeks) and order it from dealer. It cost $200 which sucks but it was the only way I could get Mopar CPS. I had to call a couple dealers before I found one that had the part. Then they shipped it to me. Some dealers told me they aren’t allowed to ship for some reason.

A couple months after I purchased the '01 Sport 4.0L I purchased a variety of spare Mopar sensors to make sure I had them on hand. I also purchased quite a few other items that I know that can go bad on a 20 year old Jeep.

So then it’s alternate brands here forward, I guess. The last Mopar CPS I saw was on eBay and it sold within two days of saving it to my ‘watch’ list.

I've been through a few aftermarket ones. So far the only one that hasn't given me issues has been the O'Reilly's house brand one.

Be sure to really deep clean the connector. Soak it in electronics cleaner and scrape out any debris with jeweler's screwdrivers or a paperclip. Then really give a liberal application of dielectric grease to seal it.

Reactions: fourpointzero
Well, my day went to shit real fast. Trying to remove the old crank sensor and the bolt broke off. Seems like I'll need to drop the tranny to get that fixed. At least that will let me figure out my shudder at take-off issue. In fact, it looks like I'm missing at least one mounting bolt holding the bell housing to the back of the engine...wonder if that's where my shudder comes from...

Oh well...

C924853C-3700-4865-A946-E37AE9B0E6EF.jpeg