Need help finding Mopar crank position sensor

I might be able to get the old sensor out and then get some vicegrips onto the broken bolt from the top. It’s a pain in the ass to get to this thing!

I'm not really familiar with the 5 speed sensor location, but could it be easier to access through the hole in the floor under the console? You'd need to remove the shift boot and shifter.

Edit: too late

Even though I could see the bolt from underneath, there was no way I could get to it. My hands are too big. I finally removed the shifter from the top center console and I was able to reach in.

7B09FDDF-609F-45EA-98BB-6D7D7C8AF128.jpeg

20AD10A3-34FB-41B5-8331-9D0268B8A941.jpeg

Last edited:
If you drop the skid plate, you can lower the transmission a couple inches to get a bit more space to work. Just watch the transfer case shifter if you don't have a cable shifter

Happy to say I was able to drill out the old crank sensor bolt with a couple of tools from Harbor freight. A right angle air drill and an angled attachment for my hand drill got the job done. It was slow work and very tight quarters, but I was able to drill out the old bolt and get a new one in.

VIDEO: Getting ready to drill...

B532A5C4-8E1C-4BB5-B425-19B510FB21E3.jpeg

90165BD4-870B-4484-B5EF-AF8F0F7BBB59.jpeg

E788F292-CF5A-4790-B44D-DDEAD97B6209.jpeg

B482DC1D-EB77-45E0-B0A0-3196EFD11010.jpeg

Took her out on the highway today and smooth sailing! No misfires or CEL (so far anyway). NTK sensor (not MOPAR) so we’ll see if it holds up.

Thanks everybody!

Last edited:
Tough job! Good work getting that bolt out!

How's that NTK sensor working? I'm wanting to swap out my crank sensor too. They seem easier to find than mopar right now.

@Modoc Guy So far so good, but she's been in the garage lately while I work on the transmission (adjust bands, flush fluid, etc.) Haven't put a lot of miles on the new sensor yet but should have her out and about by this weekend...will report back if the misfires return.

Cheers!

Reactions: Modoc Guy
The NTK eh0249 is made in USA. I bought one a few weeks ago because I couldn't find a mopar. However, all of a sudden rock auto got Mopar 4897321AB in stock for $100. I purchased one and it should come next week. Watch it be made in china :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Modoc Guy
The NTK eh0249 is made in USA. I bought one a few weeks ago because I couldn't find a mopar. However, all of a sudden rock auto got Mopar 4897321AB in stock for $100. I purchased one and it should come next week. Watch it be made in china :ROFLMAO:
Just saw that, think I’m gonna jump on that while I can.(y)

Thanks for the reply bagpiper22! I was thinking of going with the NTK because I was having an issue finding a Mopar, but I think I’ve got one located.

FYI, I have used an NTK for the TPS. Mine’s been in for about a month and a half, and so far, no issues.

Thanks gentlemen!

I happen to find a Mopar camshaft position sensor last year. I asked a person I know that works with a local Jeep dealer and gave him the part number. He said he located at different dealers around the country. I called a few places and found one on the shelf at a dealership in New Jersey. Paid them and was shipped. So if you have the time and can talk to someone a local Jeep dealership you might get lucky.

I happen to find a Mopar camshaft position sensor last year. I asked a person I know that works with a local Jeep dealer and gave him the part number. He said he located at different dealers around the country. I called a few places and found one on the shelf at a dealership in New Jersey. Paid them and was shipped. So if you have the time and can talk to someone a local Jeep dealership you might get lucky.
Camshaft sensor is the next on my list.

I’m grabbing some critical parts spares while they’re available. And replacing all the key sensors in the Jeep right now. They’re 18 years and 90,000 miles old.

I’m hoping to keep this thing running for a long time!

@Tstewart1 Hey sorry for not replying sooner...had missed your reply.
I couldn't even find a Mopar when my sensor shit the bed, so NTK was 2nd choice, but so far so good.

Try the NTK...save a few bucks and maybe fix your issue. Let me know. Thx

@Tstewart1 Hey sorry for not replying sooner...had missed your reply.
I couldn't even find a Mopar when my sensor shit the bed, so NTK was 2nd choice, but so far so good.

Try the NTK...save a few bucks and maybe fix your issue. Let me know. Thx
A mopar one out of no where came back in stock the day after I asked. I took it as a sign and ordered it lol

Reactions: bagpiper22