Need help / guidance on wheels and tires - and some photos!

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
I am a new TJ rubicon owner - always wanted a jeep and finally got one for myself. Below is a photo of the TJ. I've gotten the basic stuff taken care of at my mechanic's (trans fluid /brake fluid /engine oil/transfer case fluid/differential fluid, wheel alignment, fixed rear main seal leak). The vehicle is from 2005 with no rust, has only 56k miles on it and I got it for $16k, came with factory hard top and barely used factory soft top. I hope I did not overpay. It drives well for now and I've had my mechanic check that the 4WD hi/lo work as they should.

The prev owner put a 2.5" fabtech lift and the ridiculous oversized tires (295/70R17) you see in the below photo. While I like the higher seating position when I am driving it's not fun getting into the vehicle since I am only 5'10". I am not sure if I want take off the lift yet, but I do want to get different tires and wheels that look more appopriate and work better for me. This jeep is my 2nd vehicle, will be used mostly weekends and when I go hiking and camping. Not planning to do take it mudding or rock crawling at all, other than what comes naturally when I drive on rough/unmaintained backcountry roads and forest service roads.

@Chris has recommended 15" tires and 33" duratrac A/Ts. I have a very hard time visualizing how the jeep will look with that combination compared to now. Please note that I am a newbie when it comes to tires and wheels, have always had stock stuff in my prev cars and never worried about it much. I also want to be using this jeep in the winter. For now I really want to replace these atrocious wheels/tires.

There is a set of orig 15x8 (5x4.5) jeep rims on my local CL that I am planning to buy. I need help with exactly what tire I should get (model/specs - the tire specifications and sizes are very confusing to read online). I am still not sure on what size will work good for my uses and also look good on my jeep. I would really like to see some photos of TJs with 15x8 rims and hopefully different sizes with different lifts from the community so that I can visualize how things will look and I can decide what to get.

Note: I will be de-blinging the jeep this weekend. Except for the front Mopar chrome grill cover, everything else will be gone. Prev owner thankfully had the factory bumpers and I got them with the vehicle.

Jeep pics:
IMG_20180611_163427.jpg
IMG_20180611_163416.jpg

Last edited:
You didn’t overpay you stole it. Nicely done

I looked .. and looked ... and passed so many Jeeps due to issues/specs/price. So many badly modded and/or abused ones out there. I got so tired looking that I heavily contemplated buying a used Subaru Outback and be done with it. Glad I held on and got a TJ. Not that I don't like Subaru, but somehow I'm waay more attracted to the more "basic" (in terms of creature comforts) Jeep.

I de-blinged mine apart from the front grill too..great buying right there.

The only part I'm not sure if going to come out easily are the chrome mirror covers. They seemed stuck on there. May need to bust out the heat gun for the unnecessary stickers and that cover.

I like the chrome grill and planning to keep it. I'll have to post pics of the original window sticker, the ginormous factory build sheet printout from a dot matrix printer, and my top favorite, the 2005 factory brochure withw so many photos. Glad the the previous owner saved all this and gave it to me.

Reactions: Arrcee and Kiwi TJ
I am a new TJ rubicon owner - always wanted a jeep and finally got one for myself. Below is a photo of the TJ. I've gotten the basic stuff taken care of at my mechanic's (trans fluid /brake fluid /engine oil/transfer case fluid/differential fluid, wheel alignment, fixed rear main seal leak). The vehicle is from 2005 with no rust, has only 56k miles on it and I got it for $16k, came with factory hard top and barely used factory soft top. I hope I did not overpay. It drives well for now and I've had my mechanic check that the 4WD hi/lo work as they should.

The prev owner put a 2.5" fabtech lift and the ridiculous oversized tires (295/70R17) you see in the below photo. While I like the higher seating position when I am driving it's not fun getting into the vehicle since I am only 5'10". I am not sure if I want take off the lift yet, but I do want to get different tires and wheels that look more appopriate and work better for me. This jeep is my 2nd vehicle, will be used mostly weekends and when I go hiking and camping. Not planning to do take it mudding or rock crawling at all, other than what comes naturally when I drive on rough/unmaintained backcountry roads and forest service roads.

@Chris has recommended 15" tires and 33" duratrac A/Ts. I have a very hard time visualizing how the jeep will look with that combination compared to now. Please note that I am a newbie when it comes to tires and wheels, have always had stock stuff in my prev cars and never worried about it much. I also want to be using this jeep in the winter. For now I really want to replace these atrocious wheels/tires.

There is a set of orig 15x8 (5x4.5) jeep rims on my local CL that I am planning to buy. I need help with exactly what tire I should get (model/specs - the tire specifications and sizes are very confusing to read online). I am still not sure on what size will work good for my uses and also look good on my jeep. I would really like to see some photos of TJs with 15x8 rims and hopefully different sizes with different lifts from the community so that I can visualize how things will look and I can decide what to get.

Note: I will be de-blinging the jeep this weekend. Except for the front Mopar chrome grill cover, everything else will be gone. Prev owner thankfully had the factory bumpers and I got them with the vehicle.

Jeep pics:
View attachment 44211 View attachment 44212

Regarding your question of wheels and tires, assuming you gave the correct tire size and I haven’t forgotten my math, you won’t want to get 33” tires as your current tires are only 33.3” (you’ll see very little difference in size). If you don’t like the current size, stepping down to a 31” tire makes more sense.

You mention purchasing stock 15x8 wheels. I assume you’re not talking about stock rubicon wheels as those were 17x7.5”. If you are indeed getting 15x8 wheels from different model, 31x10.5x15 tires would be a good fit.

Reactions: Arrcee and psrivats
Regarding your question of wheels and tires, assuming you gave the correct tire size and I haven’t forgotten my math, you won’t want to get 33” tires as your current tires are only 33.3” (you’ll see very little difference in size). If you don’t like the current size, stepping down to a 31” tire makes more sense.

You mention purchasing stock 15x8 wheels. I assume you’re not talking about stock rubicon wheels as those were 17x7.5”. If you are indeed getting 15x8 wheels from different model, 31x10.5x15 tires would be a good fit.

This pic is a set of 31x10.5x15 tires (BFG all terrains) on a Jeep with a 4” lift. These are somewhat small with the 4” lift but would fit your 2.5” fine (I’m waiting to swap out gears before I get larger tires).

817EF6F9-9319-496C-AE73-DFA6D1CD5519.jpeg

1278ECA7-69EF-453B-A698-B28415A9BEB7.jpeg

Reactions: Arrcee and psrivats

My understanding was that stock TJ Rubicon came with 16x8 with 5x4.5 bolt pattern. @Chris recommended 15x8 since you can find tires more easily for them. I believe the size you mention are for JK Rubicon model.

Reactions: cjaama
My understanding was that stock TJ Rubicon came with 16x8 with 5x4.5 bolt pattern. @Chris recommended 15x8 since you can find tires more easily for them. I believe the size you mention are for JK Rubicon model.

The stock rubicon may have been a 16” (I don’t have a rubicon so I don’t recall for certain). Tires for 15” wheels are significantly cheaper so it’s a good choice although I thing the stock rubicon wheels were the best looking wheels ever made.

This pic is a set of 31x10.5x15 tires (BFG all terrains) on a Jeep with a 4” lift. These are somewhat small with the 4” lift but would fit your 2.5” fine (I’m waiting to swap out gears before I get larger tires).

Good looking TJ!

This is great. Exactly the kind of picture I'm looking to see. Hopefully other members will post their setups. Thank you very much for sharing.

I also think 31" or 32" will be good for my TJ but would like to see more photos and hear from members how they like their setups.

@Chris, I'm going to take my time and create a mini database of different size lifts and wheel sizes as I read more here. I'm guessing this is a common question from new members like me and I'd like to take the time and opportunity to create a good reference if it's ok by you.

Reactions: Arrcee and Chris
The stock rubicon may have been a 16” (I don’t have a rubicon so I don’t recall for certain). Tires for 15” wheels are significantly cheaper so it’s a good choice although I thing the stock rubicon wheels were the best looking wheels ever made.

The PO left the spare tire and wheel untouched and it's still in the back of my Jeep unused. I looked up prices for rims and cheapest I saw recently for used was 450 for a set of 4 and that was a 3hr drive one way. Then you have to get tires. I contemplated waiting and buying 1 by 1 on CL but I really don't like the current tires on my Jeep both in looks and ride quality. Perhaps for my use case described in the 1st part, 15x8 perhaps is a better choice.

The TJ Rubicon has 16x8 wheels. 16” tires in are less common than 15’s or 17’s, but the Moab wheels look great.

With your current lift, some 15x8 wheels and 31x10.5 tires would be good for your purposes. Look at plenty of pics though, as you seem to be down on lifts and bigger tires.

Reactions: psrivats

The only reason I've kept my 16x8 factory Moab wheels (the wheels the Rubicon comes with) is that I just love the look. If they made a Moab wheel in 15x8, I would move to the 15s in a heart beat. There's such a big selection of tires for 15s as oppose to 16s.

Here's the factory Moab wheels (16s) on 33" tires. This is my old Rubicon:

With the 2.5" lift:

IMG_4631.JPG
IMG_4632.JPG

After going to a 4" lift:

image-3.jpeg
image.jpeg

'here's mine with a 2.5" OME and 31x10.5r15. My backspacing on the wheels is 3.625", which makes them stick out further. If you want them tucked under the fender you'll want a backspacing about 4".

There are some Moab-looking 15x8's: the Quadratec Rubicon Extreme and Momba Type 1 MRX1
IMG_5785.JPG

The only reason I've kept my 16x8 factory Moab wheels (the wheels the Rubicon comes with) is that I just love the look. If they made a Moab wheel in 15x8, I would move to the 15s in a heart beat. There's such a big selection of tires for 15s as oppose to 16s.

Here's the factory Moab wheels (16s) on 33" tires. This is my old Rubicon:

With the 2.5" lift:

View attachment 44233 View attachment 44234

After going to a 4" lift:

View attachment 44235 View attachment 44236

@Chris thanks for these photos, great to see that the lifts do to the look of the Jeep with that tire combo. I like the factory 16x8 wheels you have but the tires appear to be as large as mine. I like that they don't stick out of your fenders.

Does anyone know what size tires came out of the factory on the 06-06 Rubicon? I'll likely going with the CL 15x8s (225 for a set of 5 OEM alloy wheels in good shape, the one with the holes).

'here's mine with a 2.5" OME and 31x10.5r15. My backspacing on the wheels is 3.625", which makes them stick out further. If you want them tucked under the fender you'll want a backspacing about 4".

There are some Moab-looking 15x8's: the Quadratec Rubicon Extreme and Momba Type 1 MRX1
View attachment 44237

Thank you, this is useful to see. Definitely going with 4" backspacing, don't like the tires sticking out. Esp when I'm not planning to do any real off-loading in the near future

The TJ Rubicon has 16x8 wheels. 16” tires in are less common than 15’s or 17’s, but the Moab wheels look great.

With your current lift, some 15x8 wheels and 31x10.5 tires would be good for your purposes. Look at plenty of pics though, as you seem to be down on lifts and bigger tires.

It's not that I'm against lifts, but I feel my TJ looks very disproportionated withw the 2.5" lift and the wheel/tire combination I have.

I understand why people put a lift. I do like how much I can see in the road when I drive. But then I also want my TJ to look classy!

@Chris thanks for these photos, great to see that the lifts do to the look of the Jeep with that tire combo. I like the factory 16x8 wheels you have but the tires appear to be as large as mine. I like that they don't stick out of your fenders.

Does anyone know what size tires came out of the factory on the 06-06 Rubicon? I'll likely going with the CL 15x8s (225 for a set of 5 OEM alloy wheels in good shape, the one with the holes).
Don't forget, lots of TJ owners like bigger wheels and tires, so you may be able to recoup some of the cash you lay down on a new set of wheels and tires. In the end, we don't see a lot of folks downsizing their TJ's, so we're reverse thinking here!

It's not that I'm against lifts, but I feel my TJ looks very disproportionated withw the 2.5" lift and the wheel/tire combination I have.

I understand why people put a lift. I do like how much I can see in the road when I drive. But then I also want my TJ to look classy!
A great size tire (proportional in most people's minds) at 2.5" is either a 31 or a 32. I think you'd like a 31.

A great size tire (proportional in most people's minds) at 2.5" is either a 31 or a 32. I think you'd like a 31.

I think so too but want to see a few photos. I'll search for them in the forum though the day. Hoping someone posts photos here as well.

I have 4.10 gearing in my axles with a 42RLE auto transmission. Not looking to spend money on regearing or anythiny anytime soon since I just spent so much in the Jeep itself. That's another reason for me to stick to a smaller wheel/tire combo.