Need help / guidance on wheels and tires - and some photos!

. If they made a Moab wheel in 15x8, I would move to the 15s in a heart beat. There's such a big selection of tires for 15s as oppose to 16s.
Quadratec sells the "rubicon extreme" wheel which is almost identical. 15x8 and 16x8. Just as an option...

Reactions: Starrs
Quadratec sells the "rubicon extreme" wheel which is almost identical. 15x8 and 16x8. Just as an option...

Hot damn... those look really good too. I didn't know about these but now I'm tempted!

The only issue is that I literally just bought 5 brand new Duratracs for my TJ in 16" sizes... ugh!

Reactions: psrivats
@Chris thanks for these photos, great to see that the lifts do to the look of the Jeep with that tire combo. I like the factory 16x8 wheels you have but the tires appear to be as large as mine. I like that they don't stick out of your fenders.

Does anyone know what size tires came out of the factory on the 06-06 Rubicon? I'll likely going with the CL 15x8s (225 for a set of 5 OEM alloy wheels in good shape, the one with the holes).

Rubicons came with 245/75R16 tires from the factory.

If you're interested in seeing the variety of factory wheels that came on TJs over the years (as well as their size, backspace, etc.), check this out:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory Wheels

31 x 10.5 duratracs on ar23 15 x 8 wheels, no true lift just H & R springs and front pucks to level it out, so maybe 1-1.5" higher than stock.
tj2.JPG

Hot damn... those look really good too. I didn't know about these but now I'm tempted!

The only issue is that I literally just bought 5 brand new Duratracs for my TJ in 16" sizes... ugh!

@Chris - I am not extremely particular about 15x8 vs 16x8. If you want to get new wheels, I can take the 16x8 wheels off your hands :) :):);)

Thx! Yes, Impact Orange, half doors are not that common here found it in OH/Pittsburgh area (not that it makes any more sense there)
I wish I could find a set of black half doors one day. Soft top + half doors = perfection on a TJ.

BTW - your wheel/tire combo also look great. I just need to decide 31 vs 32 now.

Reactions: cliffish
Jim, I love the current wheels on it!

Thanks brah!

Thank you! Which of these combos did you like the best?

The 32s look good visually. It's amazing how each TJ looks different. Sooo many wheel/tire combos even for 15x8 and 31/32s.

To this day, I kick myself for not sticking with the 31's. Granted, I do like the look of the 33's and the added ground clearance, but so much effort had to go into making 33's work properly. Lot's of time, headache, and coin. 32's were a good compromise, but the tires were a little wider than I preferred. they only make a 32 in a 32x11.50x15 size, unless you try to go with a metric equivalent, but then you are stuck back on a 16" wheel and load E tire. IMO, a 2" lift on some KO2' all terrains would be the bees knees for general FSR exploring and beach shenanigans.

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
Reactions: JMT and tworley
If you do find a set of used Rubicon Moab wheels, Duratracs come in a load range C in the 16" wheel size - 265/75R16. One of the few tires that does. They will not stick out of the flares.

I just got a set of five original early TJ 15x8 wheels from Craigslist (older style as shown below) for $200 . I don't mind running duratracs at all. I was thinking I would get the 31x10.50R15LT duratacs to go with these 15x8s.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QL66FW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Now I am sitting here wondering if I should have just spent more and bought the original 16x8 MOABs (see a pair on CL about 3h drive away) and get the 265/75R16 duratracs instead. Did everyone here go through this insane process of choosing rims and tires haha. I can usually decide on things quickly but this wheel/tire decision is really killing me.

fastlanemwd-store_2268_3427978__40658.1410272192.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Infernicus
Wheels and tires are one of the most difficult and single most appearance changing mods you can do on a TJ, so it is definitely a time consuming, mind numbing process to get it right. Feel your pain brah!

I just got a set of five original early TJ 15x8 wheels from Craigslist (older style as shown below) for $200 . I don't mind running duratracs at all. I was thinking I would get the 31x10.50R15LT duratacs to go with these 15x8s.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QL66FW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Now I am sitting here wondering if I should have just spent more and bought the original 16x8 MOABs (see a pair on CL about 3h drive away) and get the 265/75R16 duratracs instead. Did everyone here go through this insane process of choosing rims and tires haha. I can usually decide on things quickly but this wheel/tire decision is really killing me.

View attachment 44409

I've said it before, the only reason I own the Moab wheels is because they're the factory Rubicon wheels and I LOVE the look of them. I hate the fact that they are 16" though and that the tire selection for 16s is much, much more limited than 15s.

However, I guess it's not really that bad, because in all honesty I don't think I'll ever run another tire than the Goodyear Duratrac, which definitely come in a 16" size.

So I guess it works out having the factory Moab wheels to be honest! I still don't understand why they put 16s on the Rubicon models and 15s on all the other TJ models. That one is beyond me.