Need help identifying rotational noise on 2006 TJ

2006_LJ

So I had the Jeep (06, A/T LJ 4.0) back in the shop for a leaking RMS and a small transmission oil leak. This is my second attempt at getting the RMS leak fixed. First attempt was my local auto repair shop, not a jeep/4x4 specific shop. Was told by the shop the leaking transmission oil leak was from the seal between the transmission and the transfer case. Got both changed and quite happy with the result, finally after all this time, not a single drop of oil from the Jeep.

ps. Before this, I had the front diff serviced, with new front diff cover, carrier bearing and seals. Rear diff fluid flushed and replaced. (diffs are in good shape)

Now the bad part. since the rms/transmission oil leak job, I developed a noise under the car

1. Only when I hit 50mph on highway
2. I hear a rotation sound, I hope this make sense — you know the sound if you had one piece of clothing in the washer, it would lightly make a noise? smooth sounding (nnnnn.....nnnnnn......nnnnn...) <— make this nasly sound and you will know what I mean, I say rotational noise bc. there is a slight pause between the sound, so its like something is going round and round.
3. Noise goes away when I let of the gas pedal
4. Either I dont hear it or the noise is not there under 50

What it does NOT sound like or what I dont feel:

1. No vibration what so ever, nothing at the steering wheel
2. its not the tires, (fairly new and checked pressure)
3. Not a rattling or grinding noise
4. not an exhaust noise, exhaust is new (walker with a modified TJ tail pipe) - fairly quite
5. Sound does not get louder as I increase speed (its only got 4 speed so I assume after 50 it is where it is, if its got something to do with tranny/transfercase)

Speculation: When removing the transfercase to fix leak, something not aligned or put back properly? but these guys are a 4x4 shop, could they have messed this up?

Why am I posting it here and not talking to the shop? — we'll I brought it back to the shop twice and they claimed to have fixed it, and at this point I'm just being that guy, and Im totally OK with being that guy because I am paying good money for the service and they have been pretty good about it as well, but I am sure they have a limit like most people have a limit... if ya know what I mean. Also, I can imagine, if its not your jeep, the noise is hard to feel/hear because its a F'in soft top jeep on a highway, good luck hearning much, let alone a noise at 50mph.

Can ya think of anything?

thumbnail_66059050612__D9579674-E705-4E5A-B977-AE11924ECB7D.jpg

Oh and let me remind you, I have a bit of an OCD (probably should not drive a 15 yr. old jeep with OCD, but thats another story) and have taken care of the Jeep quite well since I've got it last year, see my bio. now back to this

I can build you a very loud electronic Squealer set at 50 MPH. You now like Pavlov's dog, after a week or 2 you will never do 50 mph again.:ROFLMAO: Are you sure the sounds not " Ra ra-ah-ah-ah,Roma roma-ma,Gaga, ooh la la,
Sorry, just a little NY humor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2006_LJ
I’d be more inclined to look at that front differential rebuild as a source of a new noise at speed. You could try a few things to help you narrow it down. Try driving in low range at the same engine rpm and listen to determine if the sound is related to speed or engine rpm. Try different gear selections of the transmission to see if the sound is related to engine rpm or vehicle speed. Try comparing the sound under throttle vs coast and deceleration.

Reactions: 2006_LJ
I’d be more inclined to look at that front differential rebuild as a source of a new noise at speed. You could try a few things to help you narrow it down. Try driving in low range at the same engine rpm and listen to determine if the sound is related to speed or engine rpm. Try different gear selections of the transmission to see if the sound is related to engine rpm or vehicle speed. Try comparing the sound under throttle vs coast and deceleration.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...providing-some-basic-info-on-your-jeep.59804/
There's likely another thread on the topic. Seems to be common vibe when gears are changed. Could be related if you recently did a gear swap.

Definitely pull the front driveshaft to narrow it down.

When I started messing with my transfer case the wiring from the O2 sensor and speedo cable fell down...check wiring harnesses...old plastic rentention clips get brittle and break.

I need to pull my transfer case again, too... didn't rtv between the AX-15 and 231 and it's oozing.

-Mac