TJ is making a screeching noise

Mike2324

Supporting Member
I recently purchased my TJ. Everything has been fine.... Turned it on yesterday drove it nearby came home. At night I turned it on again to park it garage and I heard it screeching. I have uploaded a video below. Hope to get some help and that I can tackle this myself. Thanks đź‘Ť

Attachments

• VID_20220126_211002677.mp4
    7.1 MB
I just had a similar noise in my 2006 i couldn’t isolate where the sound was coming from I did the wd40 on every pully and bushing I could get at no difference, accidentally I sprayed some oil on the serpentine belt and the noise was louder and then running the rpm’s up and working some of the oil off the screeching returned to the previous sound level.

I had a spare belt on hand so I threw it on and no more unpleasant noise.

sounds like it is involved with the serpentine belt system. likely a bad idler pulley or tensioner bearing or alternator bearing.

id hesitate to spray wd40 on anything belt related personally. I wouldn't want oil on anything serpentine belt related.

if it were me id loosen the tensioner and slip the belt off and spin all the pulleys by hand. new pulleys should spin smoothly with a ever so very slight bit of resistance (they won't free spin forever like a used one) and quietly with no front to rear play. if they sound like a skateboard wheel on asphalt when you spin it.. replace it.

you would be checking for a pulley that makes a whirling noise when you spin it with your finger or has front to rear slop in the bearing. if the bearings are shot, they have slop and that slop is likely where the squealing noise is coming from.

a rough example of pulley bearing comparison.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!! As soon as I track down what's the problem I will let you all know what it was.

thats definitely a bearing, you can hear it grinding. like said before spray em 1 at a time with WD40. start with the idler and tensioner pulley. i'd bet its 1 of those 2, their cheap and easily replaced....

Quick question, I have the exact same sequel going on. I was thinking about going offroad on Sunday so I ordered a idler pulley on amazon. Supposed to come in Saturday but now it's showing Sunday.

Is this something I should avoid offroading before changing or is it just a nuisance/annoying sound and I'll be fine?

Quick question, I have the exact same sequel going on. I was thinking about going offroad on Sunday so I ordered a idler pulley on amazon. Supposed to come in Saturday but now it's showing Sunday.

Is this something I should avoid offroading before changing or is it just a nuisance/annoying sound and I'll be fine?
Fix it first. If you loose a pulley and your belt goes then you loose steering power, alternator and water pump. If your in a hurry check the local parts stores they usually have them.

yea, lost one in my bronco and didn't make it 300yds before it overheated. not worth risking it. you know murphy's law ! when you get the farthest away from help it will go out !

I finally got to changing both idlers. Sounds way better. Check out the video even though there is a small sound that is amplified in video.....it sounds louder in the video than it really is. Maybe I should replace the belt.