Need help with 42RLE transmission trouble on Jeep Liberty

Reginal610

So I do not have a wrangler, but I do have a Jeep Liberty Renegade with the 42RLE transmission. I found a partial thread that discussed the p0846 error code but no conclusion. So all forward gears work as they should but no reverse and speedometer likes to bounce occasionally. New parts, valve body, solenoid pack, input and output sensors. Just wondering if anyone had this issue and how the heck to fix it. Keep in mind all I am amateur DIY'ER and trying to save money from shops.

On a 2004 wrangler that code is for the 2/4 pressure switch. I think they are similar. The factory service manual says check the wiring, check the filter, check the valve body bolts. Torque converter might have failed or the TCM. Beyond really carefully checking all the wires from the transmission and making sure the filter is clean I don't know if there's much you can DIY on that thing.

Speedometer bouncing really points to a wiring issue. I'd carefully check all the wires for the speed sensor, probably on the transfer case and especially all the grounds and wires heading back from the trans to the engine compartment. If all your ground wires, especially the battery cables aren't in great condition it can cause the computers to loose their minds.

I have been wondering if I might have an electrical issue. I noticed today while looking around a little bit before work I noticed some of the wiring behind the engine and down towards the transmission that their is a bunch of that wiring with no type of heat shield at all. I will have to run down a bunch of wiring and see what happens.