Need help with auto transmission issue!

justjake843

Hi all, just had a brand new transmission put in my wrangler (4 speed auto 42rle), my previous transmission would not shift out of overdrive (until about 20-25 mph, as if its forced to downshift at that point) and would recommended that a new transmission was required

Well with the new trans(Jasper) I'm having the same issue. Could it be something with the computer at all? i've ordered a new tcm, as ive been told that that may be failing, however I'm afraid that may not be my issue. Any pointers would help, I'm desperate to fix this issue as i can only throw parts at it for so long. The only solution i have for now is turning off overdrive, but that shouldn't be a permanent solution.

Info about jeep:
2003 jeep wrangler
42rle, 4.0
35x12.5r15
5.13s

Reactions: Wranglerfix
If the solution right now is turning off the overdrive, and that fixes the problem, I would assume it is computer based. If it is turned off and it operates as if OD does not exist, it seems like it isnt a mechanical issue but a programing/computer/sensor? issue. I can't help much past that.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
@justjake843 Your tcm should end in 764 or 897 with two letters afterwards. Get that number with any accompanying codes and give me a call at 866-888-7710.

PS

Don’t mention my name in Sumpter or Buford Counties as I did time in both! 👀😜

• Haha
  • USA Proud
Reactions: Moab and CharlesHS