Need help with NP231 input shaft pilot bearing

SvtLdr

Search Engine Certified Mechanic
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Does anyone know what the installed depth of this bearing should be? I made the mistake of knocking the old one out without measuring the depth first. This is the new pilot bearing going into the 23 spline input shaft. Thanks in advance.

20200426_104844.jpg

So there's not actually a solid seat for it to bottom out on. As you see BSK remove the old bearing from the same side he installs the new bearing. There's actually quite a bit of latitude for it to settle, elevation wise. My suspicion is the depth is not critical. In BSK's new video, he mentions installing the top of the bearing flush with the inner spines. I just wanted to get another opinion or possibly a conflicting viewpoint.

Nice! Jerry, what's your opinion on how critical this depth is?

Any other thoughts on this? It seems to me that most people installing this bearing are doing so without the special tool 5065?

Well I finally wrapped up this project so I thought I'd post my end results in case it can help anyone else out.

I reached out to JB Conversions in regards to the pilot bearing depth because those guys really know their stuff when it comes to transfer cases. I got a reply the next day with some good advice. The top of the bearing should be flush with the bottom of the lead-in chamfer of the bearing bore in the input. I also confirmed that the location is not critical. I installed the bearing and took a depth measurement for reference. I ended up at 1.338" from the top surface (machined shiny face) of the input gear to the top of the pilot bearing.
20200429_193150.jpg

I can say that installing the pilot bearing would have been faster with the special tool listed in the FSM. But like most things in life, there's more than one way to skin that cat.