Need help with stock jeep TJ 2004 towing set up

JamesC

Hi, new to this forum but been reading this forum for a while. I will like to get some advice's. I have a stock TJ (X) 2004 automatic/ 6 cylinder and I have to move from Ft campbell, TN to VA and I will be towing a 5x8 Uhaul, just with a queen bed and some clothes nothing extremely heavy. I order some black magic pads with centric rotors, a flex lite transmission cooler, and some ranchos 999Xl(128/240) according to the rancho"s costumer service this ones will be great for towing.

Now I notice my front wheel tires are some how worn, and I am thinking to get 31" duratrac 10.5 will this affect my towing capabilities? since the vehicle will be some how higher and also the weight of the tires, eventually I want to do a 2" inches lift and start building the jeep once I get a secondary vehicle, the jeep will be just for fun. As of now is my daily drive and the bread winner of the family.

Here is a pic of my jeep towing a robot that weights around 4k lbs.

jeep wrangler.jpg

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Welcome to the forum. I've towed my 4'x8' utility trailer many times with my '03 TJ that is basically stock and have had no problems at all. They have a 2,000 lb. towing capacity and you should be fine. Duratracs are a good choice. I have them on 3 Jeeps and tow with each of them. They are a good year round tire for many uses.

Jeep TJ - 14.JPG

I tow all the time with my '06 4.0 auto with 31s and it handles well. I pull my 5x10' utility trailer and have pushed the 2000lb mark a few times. However, for a long drive at highway speeds, I would be sure to stay under that weight to make sure you have safe handling and braking.