Need ideas for highline fenders

6"

20201205_100208.jpg

20210724_122846.jpg

20210724_122910.jpg

I too have been looking at high-lines for my LJ. I had AEV’s full kit on my previous LJ and while it was sexy; they were irreplaceable. I am leaning toward the GR’s and have been debating between the 4 or 6” versions. Going with JK axles, but it will be seeing Rubicon and Fordyce and the 6” could be at a bit more risk.

Jack

I too have been looking at high-lines for my LJ. I had AEV’s full kit on my previous LJ and while it was sexy; they were irreplaceable. I am leaning toward the GR’s and have been debating between the 4 or 6” versions. Going with JK axles, but it will be seeing Rubicon and Fordyce and the 6” could be at a bit more risk.

Jack

IMO the 6” look terrible. Then again I think the 4” are still a little too wide for my tastes.

Reactions: JMT
I agree that the 6” aren’t my favorite, but I haven’t really seen any in person and very few pictures.

Jack

You will likely only see the 6" in strict areas, or with someone who has already gotten a ticket. They are somewhat of a hazard on hard trails because they stick out so much.

3" or 4" are most common.

Reactions: Plumber1
I think those 6 inch highlines look great, Ultimately why not have coverage(different if you wheel tight trails) I gotta replace my fenders and ultimately want to run 35's(on 33's now and pretty happy, But have always loved those genrigths) Those walker evans beadlocks on the blue TJ...Best rims I have ever seen on a TJ

Reactions: suicideking
Stick with aluminum if you decide you need highlines
I’m excited to weigh what I trim and remove vs what I add whenever I get my Crawlteks to test this thought out. The liner is aluminum but the fender is steel (and I’ll add the flak jacket). of course, my build isn’t to the level the high line is imperative right now, but there’s other design considerations beyond the material with how the axle positions the wheels in the available space (especially when chasing travel numbers).

Beside MetalCloak, do any of them install without cutting and modifying?

Do you mean cutting the hood, fender liner or rear wheel arch?

You can get fiberglass or carbon fiber highline hoods from either Genright or Varozza4x4 so you don't need to cut the hood. Nice to not have a razer sharp edge to worry about.

Front Fenders - for tube highline fenders I'm not sure I've not looked closely, harder for us to get through annual inspections with the tires that exposed. With the AEV kit it's a whole new fender so no cutting and re-using any of the original fender, but they are damn near impossible to find now as it's been discontinued for years. They do occasionally come up though but to have any success you need to watch forums like a hawk and be in the right place at the right time. I saw one set sell within an hour of posting. I'm not sure how helpful this is for you but after 3 years of searching I did finally find another set for my other Jeep so... it can be done.

DSC05357.jpg

All part of the fender kit:

flexy.jpg

Rear wheel arch - even with the AEV Highline kit I did some trimming on the tub's wheel arches and ran no liner to get more tire clearance. This will apply to any Highline setup if you're really trying to maximise the tire clearance.

cuttofit.jpg

On the subject of body modification though - this tip should apply to all Highline fender styles - one thing I did when having my first set installed is I had the indentation below the factory "WRANGLER" sticker filled in, and built up the area above on the side that used to flow into the hood as this actually curves inwards slightly to match the hood and therefore doesn't match the fender. A lot of AEV highline fenders you see will maybe match the top and bottom but in the middle will look like the fender is inset a bit because of this.

If you're just painting the fenders as close as possible and mounting them and not too fussed - then obviously this doesn't matter, but if you're going to repaint the tub to either refresh the whole thing or at least blend the front in, it might be a step worth taking.

smoothsides.jpg

I think those 6 inch highlines look great, Ultimately why not have coverage(different if you wheel tight trails) I gotta replace my fenders and ultimately want to run 35's(on 33's now and pretty happy, But have always loved those genrigths) Those walker evans beadlocks on the blue TJ...Best rims I have ever seen on a TJ

The walker evans are popular, but are heavy because they're for racing. Avoid them if you're concerned about weight. Wouldn't make sense to have aluminum fenders and WE racing beadlocks.

That Jeep was just sold a couple weeks ago, he bought a JLUR 392 in the similar blue. A few of us cried a little when he sold it.

Reactions: J R
The walker evans are popular, but are heavy because they're for racing. Avoid them if you're concerned about weight. Wouldn't make sense to have aluminum fenders and WE racing beadlocks.

That Jeep was just sold a couple weeks ago, he bought a JLUR 392 in the similar blue. A few of us cried a little when he sold it.
A great wheel, and they have been for twenty some odd years. I would think he will live to regret selling that TJ. That would have been a perfect trail rig to keep and daily that monster 392, Sometimes its hard to keep them. The 392 is probably a blast to drive around, flying around with the doors and roof off, with all those ponies, A sunny day will be a recipe for increased insurance rates

A great wheel, and they have been for twenty some odd years. I would think he will live to regret selling that TJ. That would have been a perfect trail rig to keep and daily that monster 392, Sometimes its hard to keep them. The 392 is probably a blast to drive around, flying around with the doors and roof off, with all those ponies, A sunny day will be a recipe for increased insurance rates

Yeah, that thing FLIES and sounds impressive. I do wonder if he'll end up keeping that rig as his main trail rig. That TJ was unstoppable. So curious to see if he ends up with another TJ or LJ.

I was checking out the inside of the new Jeep and talked to his wife: "He's not going to go crazy on this Jeep like the old one."

Then I asked him what he has planned for it. 40's... :D

That's not crazy at all lol.