Need LED light and 04 Rubicon intro thread

I can certainly believe that-

I think one thing some of us get into this we only use these things occasionally- And certainly run the lights very little of that time- And in some cases we spent so much money underneath the jeep that we start to cut corners when it comes to the optional accessories-

Are use the word optional because it seems like it’s almost obligatory to put more lights on a jeep- At the same time when you use really good headlights you have a lot of light.

I don’t have any auxiliary lighting on my Jeep. It’s way down the list. The stuff I’m looking at is $$$ but I don’t want to be out night wheeling and NEED the light, only to have it fail on me. Just my viewpoint. I have an imported winch and failure is always on my mind. It’s never let me down, but I’m always expecting it too and that wears on a guys psyche.

Reactions: AndyG
I don’t have any auxiliary lighting on my Jeep. It’s way down the list. The stuff I’m looking at is $$$ but I don’t want to be out night wheeling and NEED the light, only to have it fail on me. Just my viewpoint. I have an imported winch and failure is always on my mind. It’s never let me down, but I’m always expecting it too and that wears on a guys psyche.

Good post.

Sometimes i’ll get to a point I want to round off a project and cheap out on things I can upgrade later without too much toil- at the same time the VisionX lights I have made me say- “holy cow- I guess you get what you pay for”.

The cheapos are good for work trailers later too, so I can get some use out of them I I replace them.

Here is the real irony- I didn’t want the rack or like the holes made and all to mount it on the TJ - had planned to ditch it- then it grew on me to the point I had it coated, set it up for fast tilt back, and figure it will be fun to give it a try- and now I’m trying to mount lights on it. 🙃

Kayaks is the main thing I can think of it will get used for.

Now I’m painting my winch plate to match my wheels-
how does that look too you? Seems like that it would center in the space between the bars-equal length over / under -making it a straight forward install-?or are you wanting to fill that space completely?

Well, I’ve only fooled with it a few minutes- just got home-

I have 4 - placement is the question for sure - assuming I’m going to run these- I’m also thinking of what my options are to mount them without drilling into the rack.

7A0BD18D-1281-4FCD-B610-7D9EBCCE7BB4.jpeg

Reactions: John Cooper
Touched up dash - these little tools from hobby lobby are the best I’ve found-this little spot needs some work-

CBBEC056-A457-4E3B-B18A-FCBD4AD8220C.jpeg

A2E3A412-04CC-4F9A-8F69-016230783613.jpeg

9D484C80-70FF-4FCE-8BF0-B8F90BBE5D0A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hog and John Cooper
Painted my winch plate to match wheels-

28A6DCBC-D2C2-4360-A3BA-23516649E250.jpeg

D7DC3758-3736-4569-8CB8-C1DD0C86F59A.jpeg

P.s. not one word about the ducks Coop.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hog and John Cooper
Rather than scouring the internet, wanted to start with you guys, because I value your feed back.

I wanted to recess lights into the bumper but that seems to be fizzling out based on extent of fab work to clear the cross tube.

My ‘04 has the rack, thinking of leds between the 2 perimeter frame pieces-

Not a light bar fan on TJs at all- but love some ideas- may even install plates to use flush mount lights.

As always,
Your Pal,
Andy G

“when I write my thoughts down on paper, not only do I realize how stupid they are, I notice I have really bad penmanship”

View attachment 388929

Portrait mode and a screenshot? You sir are cancelled

State of the TJ pic- I made a run to Rural King to get some washers to space the winch plate up- this may end up my best all around TJR yet.

4D8FF290-31F3-44EC-B5FE-849FD08121D5.jpeg

I like this idea for keeping it sleek and simple. But, if I already had a roof rack, I personally enjoy the retro look for TJs and would aim to build something like this:
[URL]https://www.traildutyinc.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1124[/URL]

Yes, I like them period correct-

I’ve seen that picture and it looks really good.

It’s kind of funny that roof rack was destined to go when I saw that jeep but I didn’t wanna leave all the holes in the body it creates-

Reactions: John Cooper
Hit the trail- we got way in, and the trail hit back- hope @Hog has pics of where it got bad. Or good. Depends on what ya like🤣

Hog is in the killer LJR.

5E43ADF6-79FA-4828-90C9-5E683EE519AB.jpeg

D81781AD-951C-4419-8ADA-7BE851AC7082.jpeg