Need new engine and opinions

I did talk to them today and they did quote me the repair. 500 plus whatever it would cost to ship the motor back. That was them installing new bearings new camshaft and lifters. Not sure why. Lobes on the camshaft look fine. Didn’t have any power loss or noise from valve train prior to finding all this. Hopefully I won’t need all that. Crossings my fingers.

That was them installing new bearings new camshaft and lifters. Not sure why. Lobes on the camshaft look fine.

Obviously the bearings are shot. The cam will likely have to be replaced due to damage at the cam journals. These are flat tappet cams, so the lifters are broken into their specific positions on that cam now. That's why all of that will need to be replaced. I have seen flat tappet lifters swapped to a new cam, but I've always been told that's dicey and is likely wipe the new cam. As cheap as new lifters are, I wouldn't bet on used ones.

I did talk to them today and they did quote me the repair. 500 plus whatever it would cost to ship the motor back. That was them installing new bearings new camshaft and lifters. Not sure why. Lobes on the camshaft look fine. Didn’t have any power loss or noise from valve train prior to finding all this. Hopefully I won’t need all that. Crossings my fingers.

They didn't do it right the first time...grr...

Honestly doesn't sound unreasonable...and I think Titan is close enough to you that you could drive it and save shipping.

What's that do for your warranty if they repair vs. you?

Probably a day or two of work to put in new cam bearings, cam, lifters...and if you do the work you don't have to pull the engine.

They give you a turn around time?

-Mac

That expansion plug is about to pop out. Ask me how I know. My cam was fine. I checked the straitness and polished the journals, then put it back in.

Reactions: macleanflood
Update:

I wanted to wait to see what the remanufacture said before I posted a name. I believe I mentioned it in my original post but maybe not. It is from titan. I’ve been back and forth the last couple of days with them. They’re under the impression it was lack of oil. Unfortunately one of the heat tabs melted some. It was one on the freeze plug. Which is weird because the one right next to the thermostat housing looks fine. I know the freeze plug is thinner than the block so maybe that’s why? I was told these tabs are rated for 240-250. I don’t remember it getting that hot at all unless it happened when I wasn’t sitting in the Jeep or during initial 30 minute break in. I did have some help holding the throttle while I checked over things. My help doesn’t remember it getting that hot either. Again unfortunately I don’t have proof. Should’ve taken videos of the entire process. It sucks but their warranty clearly says if the motor overheats at any point warranty is void. So at this point I can’t really say anything negative about titan other than the warranty sucks but I read all that before I bought the motor. I’ll be pulling the motor within the next week or so to see how much damage is really there. Attached pics of the heat tabs in case someone else other than myself doesn’t know what they are. I didn’t until recently.

View attachment 472071

View attachment 472072

Which one is melted?

Ok so update on the motor situation. Still no word from the machine shop. Called a handful of times and even left a couple more voicemails. Nothing. Decided to go for a reman. After talking with a local guy that does Jeep salvage I went with a titan. Guy I talked to said his family has dealt with them quite a bit over the last few years and didn’t have anything negative to say. No it won’t be a stroker but after reading all the ins and outs of having to tune and possibly run premium fuel I decided to go simple. I’m just ready to get this thing on the road! I’ll keep everyone posted on the progress. And if I hear back from the machine shop and they can repair the block I’ll probably have it done anyway so I’ve got a back up if needed later on.

My rebuild shop had Jeep sitting for 3 months. I found Titan in Ocala FL they have what you need. Order it and you will get it in a week. https://www.titanengines.com