Need New Oil Pan... Recommendations on Brands?

cliffish

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
I can see rust bubbling on my oil pan for my 2005 X, 4.0, Auto, already had rust through on my Tranny pan. So 2 questions:

1) is there a preferred brand?

2) I see that they are available with and with out an oil sensor hole?

Thanks, I will probably default to the OEM. I replaced the transmission pan when I changed the fluid, found a bubble and a screw driver went right through it. Doing the rear main seal and found probably 10-15 spots on the oil pan that I could probably poke through. Not taking any chances.

The one referenced above looks to be correct for most to all of the 4.0TJ's.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I replaced mine with stock and a friend who did it for me painted it with bedliner to protect it from rusting (the reason it needed replacing to begin with)

Have you received a Mopar oil pan with the baffle? I have not.
No, I have not. It’s just something I read on the internet, so it must be true! Since it’s not true, as far as you know, disregard, unless there was some difference between earlier and later model TJs.

Could you maybe grab one cheap off of a Cherokee from a junk yard?
I would think they have to be a pretty common part, easy to get off a Cherokee without rust and you know the bolt pattern will match.
Cuz like @JMT said, it's an oil pan. :)

I agree, it’s an oil pan.

Yes and no. Your clearances may be different and the pan thickness may be different. Or they may be exactly the same. For some builds those make a difference and it's no fun installing a pan twice to find out.

Could you maybe grab one cheap off of a Cherokee from a junk yard?
I would think they have to be a pretty common part, easy to get off a Cherokee without rust and you know the bolt pattern will match.
Cuz like @JMT said, it's an oil pan. :)
I agree get one from a Junk yard...you know it will fit and you can always paint it up with stone chip paint.

Do most junk yards sell pans without the engine? How do they keep the engines in good condition if they're not protected?

Do most junk yards sell pans without the engine? How do they keep the engines in good condition if they're not protected?
Sometimes they sell the pans when the engine has had it....they salvage what they can from a junker engine

That's a nice pan. Did you bash the original pan against some sharp granite ??
Limestone. Gained some extra clearance. :pPics on here somewhere. I was fortunate I didn’t break the pan. So far so good. It’s been about a year now.