Need New Shocks

Rancho, Rancho, and Rancho again.

Take it from someone (me) who has personally run Fox 2.0s, Bilstein 5100s, OME Nitrochargers, and Ranchos. The Rancho shocks ride the best of the bunch if you ask me.

The others are very good shocks, they're just meant for a much heavier vehicle for the TJ, and therefore they ride way too stiff for a lighter vehicle like the TJ (yes, the TJ may seem heavy, but compared to a truck it's not!).

For your 6" lift, you could run the Rancho RS999062 rear shocks, along with the Rancho RS999061 front shocks. Those shocks are both meant for 6" of lift, and they offer dampening adjustability, which can come in handy from time-to-time.

Since Rancho currently has their rebate going on, you'd get $50 back off your purchase by using their rebate form which you can find here:
http://www.gorancho.com/downloads/promotions/rancho_spring18_rebatepad_us.pdf

I hate to sound like a salesman for Rancho (because I'm not), but I am telling you, these shocks really ride amazing! the only way I would go with any of the others is if you prefer a much firmer / stiffer ride.

The Ranchos are going to ride much smoother. Not so soft that it feels sloppy, but soft enough that people who get in your Jeep will constantly comment on how good it rides for being a Jeep. They also perform excellent off-road.

Thanks for the info Chris and the raebate form.
Sounds like the rgth way to go.
Bob

You can't go wrong, I assure you. They really do give you a fantastic ride. And with those RS9000XLs, you'll be able to adjust them from soft to firm, with a total of 9 settings I believe it is.

I second the Ranchos. Either the fixed rate RS5000X (not the RS5000) or the 9 way adjustable RS9000XL shocks. Stay away from the RS7000MT, there are monotube and are way to stiff for a light TJ

I have never ran Rancho shocks so I won’t comment on those. I have run Fox and Old Man Emu. OME will be on my jeep and any other jeep I ever buy again. Ride is night and day from stock and they are not stiff like fox shocks. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: JMT and skrelnik
Not always. I have run Bilstein, OME and a friend has Fox. I now have Ranchos and they are better both on and off road of any of them, and they are the least expensive of all of them.
This is going to be the most opiniated debate to date lol. Everyone has “their” choice of shock, and all 3 of those are very good shocks I’m sure. I have ran 2/3, and would again but for my ride that I like OME all the way for me.

Reactions: skrelnik
This is going to be the most opiniated debate to date lol. Everyone has “their” choice of shock, and all 3 of those are very good shocks I’m sure. I have ran 2/3, and would again but for my ride that I like OME all the way for me.

I agree that they are all good shocks and that everyone has their own opinion. I was just disagreeing that more expensive = better.

Reactions: Starrs
Either the fixed rate RS5000X (not the RS5000) or the 9 way adjustable RS9000XL shocks.

I would have suggested the RS5000X, but they don't make them in a 6" height, whereas they do with the RS9000XL. The RS9000XL is basically the same shock, it just adds the dampening adjustment. You already know this though, I was only pointing out why I recommended the RS9000XL.

I simply went with the advice of a member on this site who recommended the Rancho RS5000X.

I have nothing to compare them to other than the old hydro shocks that i removed.

I can say that the Rancho's gave my TJ the exact ride i was looking for, not to squishy but rather a controlled ride and excellent offroad.

The shock debate is killing me! I switch back and forth every time I read another thread. I need new shocks badly. Old KYB shocks are shot. I'm going to go with a TeraFlex 2" budget boost on my '01 stock TJ running 31" BFG KO2s. Was going to pair the TF pucks with the Fox 2.0 Adventure Series which are available for $389 for the set. Now I see people saying those are stiff along with the Bilsteins. Most who have them love the OMEs ($432/set), and the Rancho RS9000XLs are very appealing too ($444/set). My TJ is not my DD so the road/highway drive is not the most important factor - I'd rather err toward the better offroad shock. Three of the guys at my local 4WheelParts run the RE budget lift with the RE shocks - which are private-labeled Bilstein 5100s and are happy with that set up. Really not sure what to do. Couple big endorsements here for the Ranchos (I think Jerry Bransford is a fan of the Ranchos too) . . . Are the Foxes really that stiff?

Rancho, Rancho, and Rancho again.

Take it from someone (me) who has personally run Fox 2.0s, Bilstein 5100s, OME Nitrochargers, and Ranchos. The Rancho shocks ride the best of the bunch if you ask me.

The others are very good shocks, they're just meant for a much heavier vehicle for the TJ, and therefore they ride way too stiff for a lighter vehicle like the TJ (yes, the TJ may seem heavy, but compared to a truck it's not!).

For your 6" lift, you could run the Rancho RS999062 rear shocks, along with the Rancho RS999061 front shocks. Those shocks are both meant for 6" of lift, and they offer dampening adjustability, which can come in handy from time-to-time.

Since Rancho currently has their rebate going on, you'd get $50 back off your purchase by using their rebate form which you can find here:
http://www.gorancho.com/downloads/promotions/rancho_spring18_rebatepad_us.pdf

I hate to sound like a salesman for Rancho (because I'm not), but I am telling you, these shocks really ride amazing! the only way I would go with any of the others is if you prefer a much firmer / stiffer ride.

The Ranchos are going to ride much smoother. Not so soft that it feels sloppy, but soft enough that people who get in your Jeep will constantly comment on how good it rides for being a Jeep. They also perform excellent off-road.

To the OP - Rancho RS5000x get great reviews on this forum. The one downside I have read is about rusting. Since you are in PA you may want to prep and paint the Ranchos.

Was going to pair the TF pucks with the Fox 2.0 Adventure Series

Don't do it. The Fox shocks are probably the most aesthetically pleasing shock for the TJ, I'll give them that. They look beautiful, I love that they are aluminum, etc. However, they simply are too stiff. They'd be better off on a JKU (which is much heavier) or a full size truck (which is also much heavier), and then they wouldn't be too stiff at all.

Are the Foxes really that stiff?

Yep. I ran them and I can tell you that compared to the Ranchos, it's night and day. The only solution to this might be the Fox shocks that Savvy sells. I believe they are specially valved for the TJs lighter weight, but you'd have to call them directly and ask them about that. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make.

Reactions: RustyCage
Another vote for the Rancho RS5000x shocks here. Just installed mine a few weeks ago and it rides much better now.
I have read about the "cheap" coating on these and that they rust easily, so, because I already had some in my cabinet, I spayed mine with a couple of coats of clear enamel. Maybe it'll help, maybe not, but Living in the rust belt I usually don't drive mine much in the winter.

Reactions: skrelnik
The shock debate is killing me! I switch back and forth every time I read another thread. I need new shocks badly. Old KYB shocks are shot. I'm going to go with a TeraFlex 2" budget boost on my '01 stock TJ running 31" BFG KO2s. Was going to pair the TF pucks with the Fox 2.0 Adventure Series which are available for $389 for the set. Now I see people saying those are stiff along with the Bilsteins. Most who have them love the OMEs ($432/set), and the Rancho RS9000XLs are very appealing too ($444/set). My TJ is not my DD so the road/highway drive is not the most important factor - I'd rather err toward the better offroad shock. Three of the guys at my local 4WheelParts run the RE budget lift with the RE shocks - which are private-labeled Bilstein 5100s and are happy with that set up. Really not sure what to do. Couple big endorsements here for the Ranchos (I think Jerry Bransford is a fan of the Ranchos too) . . . Are the Foxes really that stiff?
The RE version of the bilstine has a much better warranty by the way. Lifetime warranty vs 1 year and nothing if it's been off road. On my LJ I've only run Bilstines but replaced one with a RE when I pulled it appart from over extention. One thing I can recommend if you go with em is to install limit straps, I've ripped apart 2 now. The shocks work great on big hits off road, similar to the fox shocks from my understanding. However on the road all the small cracks and pot holes will drive you nuts as the shocks won't move an inch, but your kidneys will. ;)

I've never run the Ranchos, I was going to get 9000s but they didn't make them in the size I needed.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: RustyCage
Every time I see Ranchos they are rusted and look terrible. I run OME's and that is what I had on my last Jeep as well and they seem to hold up better as far as finish. I can't comment on ride, but my OME's ride like a caddy. Well, maybe not quite, but it rides damn nice. I only have a 2.5 lift however. Had BDS on before and it didn't ride as nice. Good luck.

Every time I see Ranchos they are rusted and look terrible. I run OME's and that is what I had on my last Jeep as well and they seem to hold up better as far as finish. I can't comment on ride, but my OME's ride like a caddy. Well, maybe not quite, but it rides damn nice. I only have a 2.5 lift however. Had BDS on before and it didn't ride as nice. Good luck.
The 5000X is a great ridng shock. As far as finish, I have read 3 separate accounts of rust, all in rust belt states. Is that an indictment of the shock in general or just a fluke on some sets or those folks just live in rust issue states? Can't really say. I live in CA so rust isn't really an issue. That said, 200 for a set of great shocks plus a 5 dollar can of Rust-Oleum is still cheaper than 100+ per shock for other brands.