Need new transmission drain plug for NV3550

robert_tj_ski

So I need a new drain plug for my transmission, see the pictures, its 2001 so it has nv3550 transmission. I called auto parts stores -nothing, called jeep dealership- nothing, been looking online and I found couple but foesnt look like they have magnet in them.
Did anyone run into this problem before ? There has to be an replacement one.

20191203_190011.jpg

20191203_190009.jpg

20191203_190007.jpg

My 6 speed uses a 17mm hex wrench for the drain plug. It looks like your plug is still usable if you use the correct tool. Seems the OP thought vicegrips were the tool of choice.
IIRC a 5/8 bolt head can work too. Just get a short bolt and two nuts to thread on and then tighten together and that will work, or a long nut for threaded rod could be used too. Anything but a vice grip on that small lip. Hopefully you'll take better care of the Jeep. Be aware... this type of work may show up throughout the whole Jeep.

My 6 speed uses a 17mm hex wrench for the drain plug. It looks like your plug is still usable if you use the correct tool. Seems the OP thought vicegrips were the tool of choice.
IIRC a 5/8 bolt head can work too. Just get a short bolt and two nuts to thread on and then tighten together and that will work, or a long nut for threaded rod could be used too. Anything but a vice grip on that small lip. Hopefully you'll take better care of the Jeep. Be aware... this type of work may show up throughout the whole Jeep.
I hope I'll get a replacement one and I wont have to worry about it in case I'll make it worse taking it off.. when I was buying this jeep I thought this would be an easy thing to buy and replace it. I guess not...

Should be just a pipe plug...likely 1/2". Go to home depot.

But...there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it aside from it looks like shit from some hackfuck without a 17mm allen socket trying to remove it with a chisel.

If you have the right tool, it'll likely come out just fine and also go back in just fine. If you need a 17mm allen socket for that, I have about 4 of them lying around from my VW days...Of if you have any VW enthusiast buddies...ask them...they should have one, if nut they're punks.

Last edited:
Should be just a pipe plug...likely 1/2". Go to home depot.

But...there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it aside from it looks like shit from some hackfuck without a 17mm allen socket trying to remove it with a chisel.

If you have the right tool, it'll likely come out just fine and also go back in just fine. If you need a 17mm allen socket for that, I have about 4 of them lying around from my VW days...Of if you have any VW enthusiast buddies...ask them...they should have one, if nut they're punks.
But how about that magnetic piece....I know I could probably find just a nut that would fit in there... is 17mm hex socket gonna do ?

I find that a 10mm coupler nut is the perfect size. Plenty of body to get a wrench or a socket on. Cheap enough at Ace Hardware.
I got 17mm hex socket coming in mail this monday. It was only like$5 didn't feel like running around the stores to save couple of $. But good idea I'll keep that in mind for future...thanks

Not questioning you guys, as I didn't check mine when I had it off, but why would a 17mm drain plug have SAE threads? 🤔I would think it has a metric thread pitch to go with the metric drive.
I've never seen a 3/8 drive head wearing metric threads, or a 13 mm drive head with SAE threads. Is this some special 1 off designed plug?

Reactions: reddvltj
It could boil down to just simple economics. NPT plug, a little blue or red sealer, run it in and be done with it.
No special low profile bolt or copper washer.
And bean counters too.