Need one more thing to finish control arms

Rex Baucom

I have finished setting up my control arms and just had new tires put on. Here is my alignment sheet that I had done after I finished. Feel free to tell me what you think!!!
dec6093297bca3e0b08672ef3593303d.jpg

The last thing I want to do is make sure my upper control arms front and rear are not fighting each other and wearing out my joints and bushings.

Can someone give me a quick summary on how to make sure there is no pre load on my upper arms??? I want to make sure they are not working against each other and the load is even between the two.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks perfect to me, I don't see any issues. Sure, the toe in could probably closer .1 as @CodaMan suggested, but that's negligible.

Reactions: CodaMan
Ha not showing off. If you saw how long it took me you wouldn't be that impressed. My real reason for the post was the uppers not sharing the equal load. Or fighting each other, so to speak. I have read about this and was really wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make sure this wasn't happening.

I want to keep my joints and bushing from wearing out quickly.

Thanks

I'm probably going to re do the toe in my self. I got new tires and it came with an alignment. They didn't get the steering wheel that good and I want to double check the toe in.

I have a hard time believing these tire guys sometimes. Already had to drop the psi from 35 to 26.
2206349d25029fbaaf4a728afaf539f9.jpg

Reactions: derekmac and JMT
I have a hard time believing these tire guys sometimes. Already had to drop the psi from 35 to 26.

Wow... Yeah, 35 psi will rattle your fillings out.

Ha not showing off. If you saw how long it took me you wouldn't be that impressed. My real reason for the post was the uppers not sharing the equal load. Or fighting each other, so to speak. I have read about this and was really wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make sure this wasn't happening.

When I installed my adjustable control arms they weren't sharing equal load after adjusting them to the specs that Currie suggested. I found that one was loose enough you could pretty easily move it around in place, but the other was so tight that it couldn't even be moved by hand. I took that one that was extra tight and backed off a few turns on the adjustment, and that seemed to fix the issue.

I did my alignment and toe-in myself (always do), so I don't have exact numbers, but this is what worked for me!

...Can someone give me a quick summary on how to make sure there is no pre load on my upper arms??? I want to make sure they are not working against each other and the load is even between the two...

What I would do is loosen all the control arm bolts, jump up and down on the bumper a few time, let it settle overnight then re-torque the bolts in the morning. My brain tells me that that would even out the load on the arms.

Reactions: Chris
I'm probably going to re do the toe in my self. I got new tires and it came with an alignment. They didn't get the steering wheel that good and I want to double check the toe in.

I have a hard time believing these tire guys sometimes. Already had to drop the psi from 35 to 26. View attachment 22295

I'm pretty sure tire shops are required by law to overinflate tires every time, or federal agents will appear and shut down their business...

I want to keep my joints and bushing from wearing out quickly.

Thanks

Jeep on level ground side to side. Reasonably level front to back. Loosen control arm bolts at the axle end of both uppers, remove one bolt after lowers are set to the same length. Put a floor jack under the tie rod, jack it up until you can spin the remaining upper bolt with your fingers. Once you can do that, adjust the length of the disconnected upper until you can slide the bolt in, tighten both.

What I would do is loosen all the control arm bolts, jump up and down on the bumper a few time, let it settle overnight then re-torque the bolts in the morning. My brain tells me that that would even out the load on the arms.
There's something wrong with your brain.

Jeep on level ground side to side. Reasonably level front to back. Loosen control arm bolts at the axle end of both uppers, remove one bolt after lowers are set to the same length. Put a floor jack under the tie rod, jack it up until you can spin the remaining upper bolt with your fingers. Once you can do that, adjust the length of the disconnected upper until you can slide the bolt in, tighten both.

Ohhh wow, that sounds easy enough. Sweet. Thanks. Same thing for the rear?? Where would I put the jack for the rear???