Need opinion on how to handle a mechanic

GRIZZLY1

I have my 2000 Jeep Wrangler in for a transmission rebuild and also having the gears changed and adding a locker to the rear. I am working with one guy at the shop and agreed to a price to do the work. They called me today to let me know I was going to need a clutch kit also which I expected a bearing retainer for the transmission and have the flywheel resurfaced,all good no problem they said they would call me back with price. Price $549!! He is charging me 288 for the clutch, 90 for the flywheel resurface and I didn’t ask about the bearing retainer but the most expensive one I can find is about 60 and an additional 49 in labor for taking the flywheel off? He also stated that I had a ticket with his son for the amount we agreed upon and then this ticket with him. Oh he also told me he paid 143 for the clutch is it normal for them to charge 100% markup for parts. I think he is screwing me over on this, I’m spending over 4000 at this shop already.

First, the Mopar Factory Service manual specifically says that a TJ's flywheel should not be resurfaced. It has a slight dome shape on the surface and most machines that mechanics use for that job will remove the dome shape and leave it flat which can cause erratic clutch engagement. At the most the Mopar FSM says to just use emery cloth or a mild grade of sandpaper to remove any possible glazing on the surface of the flywheel.

Then, the OEM Luk clutch at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CICYZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20 only sells retail for $88, they're charging over 3X its cost. That $88 kit includes everything needed including the disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch disk.

I'd say they're taking advantage of you where your clutch is concerned

Reactions: Chris
Agree with Jerry on this. They are taking advantage of you no doubt, at least as far as the clutch is concerned.

And they should know better than resurfacing the flywheel, especially if they are Jeep mechanics.

I don't think that the flywheel can be resurfaced (or it is not recommended) because of a unique contour surface that machining will take away.

That’s what I figured I will call them in the morning and tell them not to resurface the flywheel and call them out on the markup and go from there. Thanks for your help guys

Reactions: Fughuert and Chris
That’s what I figured I will call them in the morning and tell them not to resurface the flywheel and call them out on the markup and go from there. Thanks for your help guys

Before calling the shop out on what appears to be a high price, you should confirm what brands they are using. OEM clutch parts are damn expensive, and if they are using Mopar parts then the price is accurate.

If in fact they are using Mopar, what you could do is ask them if you can save a couple bucks on the clutch kit and use that LUK kit that @Jerry Bransford recommended.

I would not come off defensive, or offensive, by saying the shop is screwing you...not yet at least, more facts are needed, plus they are doing a couple jobs for you.

Here is a screen shot so you can see what the cost is for the Mopar parts. Most shops use OEM parts, and there is nothing wrong with that. If they are charging you those rates for the LUK kit then you should have a problem with the price.

Screenshot_20190325-202858_Chrome.jpg

I am pretty sure he said it was a luk that is what I told them I wanted. Yes sir I will keep that in mind. I always try to use some tact when dealing with people especially ones that are in possession of my fun.

It seems like the dad and son evidently weren’t on the same page on the price we agreed on. Now the dad is trying to make up some profit. We are not talking about a young son that made a mistake, he’s a 40 yr old man.

I recently got into a similar "discussion" on this subject on this forum... i first want to say i respect everyones opinion, and if you own a shop i get why you do what you do... but i dont agree with it. This is a four part issue... time, money, knowledge and tools. If you dont have these factors it can make going to a shop very painful. When i was young and had none of those things i had no choice but to find a shop i trusted. If you have a little time to invest and the shop is cool with it, watch them, ask questions and invest in a future without shops... some people are not interested in working on their own stuff and that fine too. Doing your own work with the four factors i mentioned is both a curse and a blessing... good luck with that shop.

I recently got into a similar "discussion" on this subject on this forum... i first want to say i respect everyones opinion, and if you own a shop i get why you do what you do... but i dont agree with it. This is a four part issue... time, money, knowledge and tools. If you dont have these factors it can make going to a shop very painful. When i was young and had none of those things i had no choice but to find a shop i trusted. If you have a little time to invest and the shop is cool with it, watch them, ask questions and invest in a future without shops... some people are not interested in working on their own stuff and that fine too. Doing your own work with the four factors i mentioned is both a curse and a blessing... good luck with that shop.

I try to do my own work when I can. Somethings are just better left to the professionals. Hopefully one day I’ll get the opportunity to learn how to do gears.

And some of us old timers just can't crawl around on cold concrete floors anymore. The spirit is willing but the body says'what are you thinking.? I'm new to jeep ownership but trying to cram to gain the knowledge to deal with a shop.

Reactions: chino1969
And some of us old timers just can't crawl around on cold concrete floors anymore. The spirit is willing but the body says'what are you thinking.?

LOL, ain't that the truth, my wife now asks me why I have so many tools and stuff under the vehicle with me when I do have to get under one now. I tell her that I have what I need, what I think need, what I might need and what might help just in case, including water because I don't want to have to get up until the job is done.