Need opinion on whether I should keep or let it go

pixologics

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys so I have a 1998 4.0l manual transmission with 153k miles on it.
I purchased this few months back in a rush and due to covid and in order to keep distance and less talking I didn't do my due diligence with inspection. There are some issues with the Jeep that are concerning me.

- It has some weird vibration and grinding noise that happens at 45mph and above when decelerating. When it's in gear and I take off my foot from gas pedal. It feels to go away when I put it in neutral not press clutch.
We have already replaced the rear u-joint and couldn't find issue in front at least by my own inspection.

- The under side of center portion of frame was repaired or patched at some point and I missed to notice that. It seem to have had stay in east coast.

- There is immense oil leak in power steering box and Lucas stop leak has not helped.

- There is also some minor oil leak under transmission cover also under differential cover.

All of the above issue is making me ask myself if it's worth getting it repaired and continue with it or better sell it out and look for another one.

How much should I expect to pay in repair for above issue?

Also, is it really worth putting money on it given the patched up frame repair that was done be on it?

Wanted to add that a better condition tj is going to cost around 14-17k so again it's a lot of money.

I had purchased it with an intention to keep it for long time say 5+ years

Honest opinions please...

Last edited:
You need to post pictures of everything that is concerning you and that needs attention.
How much did you pay for it and how much are you willing to spend on it.
Its a 22 year old 4x4 so its going to be high maintenance.

Take it to a 4x4 shop or local jeep repairer and get them to test drive it and do a repair inventory on it and that will give you a better idea if its worth it to you to keep it or not.
If you look for another one you could come across the same problems a few months after purchase.
How do you know it has spent time in the East is it full of rust as well as the patch up.

I purchased my first jeep 6 months ago a 2006 TJ with 100k miles but I also put aside $8000 for worst case scenario repairs.

Get those pics posted because sometimes its not as bad as it may seem. :)

You need to post pictures of everything that is concerning you and that needs attention.
How much did you pay for it and how much are you willing to spend on it.
Its a 22 year old 4x4 so its going to be high maintenance.

Take it to a 4x4 shop or local jeep repairer and get them to test drive it and do a repair inventory on it and that will give you a better idea if its worth it to you to keep it or not.
If you look for another one you could come across the same problems a few months after purchase.
How do you know it has spent time in the East is it full of rust as well as the patch up.

I purchased my first jeep 6 months ago a 2006 TJ with 100k miles but I also put aside $8000 for worst case scenario repairs.

Get those pics posted because sometimes its not as bad as it may seem. :)
I'll post some pictures tomorrow morning. To answer some other questions I paid $8200 + dmv tax reg. cost me $8800 total. I know it was in east coast for few years as I checked its carfax post purchase as I started to notice problems.
I'm willing to spend under $1k if it could get back to running condition that does not have the loud grinding noises and super leaks. I can live with small issues and also tackle little repairs myself but not an expert to handle transmission/differential related stuff.

I'm no expert but i would say you can fix the things you've listed for 1k if you do the work yourself

I have a 99 manual i just passed 185k, just changed all my fluids and new gaskets both front and rear diff.
Purchased @125k miles (P.O. just replaced clutch)
Head gasket @140K
Blew rear diff @ 150k
Went through a few U joints at this time as well
New trans & clutch @ 165k
New front drive shaft (vibration and noise) and pinion seals @185k

Buuuutttt this isn't everyone, i was young and dumb, i played in the mud all the time and wasn't paying attention to my fluid levels. water does not mix well with gears -___- Preventative maintenance is HUGE so it depends how the person before you treated it as well. But when i bought it i NEVER planned on selling it. I'm probably in it for 15k at this point but I've owned it for over 10 years. I've got a nice lift on it and the motor still runs like a top. Now i'm more careful but i still love the thing and i enjoy working on it. It depends what you want to do with it.

Next up is Steering box, Tie Rods and motor mounts.

Last edited:
Any Jeep you buy is going to require money spent. They're a 20 year old vehicle that generally will have leaks from multiple places. Those can all be fixed, with a little knowledge and effort. The bigger issue is the frame. Pictures will help us help you.