Need opinions: how bad is my rake?

jazngab

Done but not quite finished
Supporting Member
Looking for some honest opinions of the TJ council about the rake on my TJ. PO had installed a 2” coil spacer lift. I’ve since added 100lbs additional front end weight. Rear is stock. Stock suspension minus Rancho 5000x and zj tie rod. No vibes. Rides great. Debating if I NEED to swap to a 2” spring lift with spacer to bump up the front. In addition having to add front adj track bar and rear relocation bracket and antirock/jks quick disconnects. Also run the risk of having to chase driveline vibrations with a MML or SYE, or an unwanted transfer case drop. I’ve already spent a good amount of money on this TJ just modifying it and I haven’t even owned it a full year. Sometimes the rake bothers me. Sometimes it doesn’t. So I’m torn of leaving well enough alone (and save some time and money) or do it right and swap it all out. What do you guys think? Is it not worth the hassle and headache? Or is it worth it? Am I overthinking it? Rabbit holes are everywhere!

BB813CE9-3F57-45D7-AADB-61E8EC014000.jpeg

1F44A392-DC1F-40BA-A214-05DA6307FCA8.jpeg

Have you considered if you plan to add additional weight in the rear? A good heavy tire carrier bumper can weigh 120 lbs. Add a hi-lift, cargo rack, and can mounts and you’ll be reverse raked in no time. If you never plan to touch the rear though, then I would change springs.

If you are constantly changing loads, like camping gear, people, etc., you can always add air bags to the front and/or rear springs to level the ride each time the load is changed. The kits are actually quite cheap.
18F35DD1-086A-48FB-B28F-B9497B155499.png

If not that, there are also adjustable coil spacers that will allow you to fine tune the ride height, like the Currie ACOS:
3844409B-10E4-4087-97F4-4E679F6AB030.jpeg

Reactions: Starrs
Looking for some honest opinions of the TJ council about the rake on my TJ. PO had installed a 2” coil spacer lift. I’ve since added 100lbs additional front end weight. Rear is stock. Stock suspension minus Rancho 5000x and zj tie rod. No vibes. Rides great. Debating if I NEED to swap to a 2” spring lift with spacer to bump up the front. In addition having to add front adj track bar and rear relocation bracket and antirock/jks quick disconnects. Also run the risk of having to chase driveline vibrations with a MML or SYE, or an unwanted transfer case drop. I’ve already spent a good amount of money on this TJ just modifying it and I haven’t even owned it a full year. Sometimes the rake bothers me. Sometimes it doesn’t. So I’m torn of leaving well enough alone (and save some time and money) or do it right and swap it all out. What do you guys think? Is it not worth the hassle and headache? Or is it worth it? Am I overthinking it? Rabbit holes are everywhere!

View attachment 103603

View attachment 103604
I need to read your build thread again, but why not replace the spacers, use the OME 2.5 heavies in the front and rear and use a 3/4 spacer in the front?

You would maintain the same ride height and might gain some flex in theory.

Do you WANT to fix the rake? Only you can answer that? I dont see it that much at all.

Going with a SL is somewhat opening a small can of worms as mentioned, “possible driveline vibes, SYE/MML, adj track bars/relocation(rear), and possible bump adjustments.

But if it were me, (I know money doesnt grow on trees) as much as you wheel it, where you wheel it, I would go for it.

I need to read your build thread again, but why not replace the spacers, use the OME 2.5 heavies in the front and rear and use a 3/4 spacer in the front?

You would maintain the same ride height and might gain some flex in theory.

Do you WANT to fix the rake? Only you can answer that? I dont see it that much at all.

Going with a SL is somewhat opening a small can of worms as mentioned, “possible driveline vibes, SYE/MML, adj track bars/relocation(rear), and possible bump adjustments.

But if it were me, (I know money doesnt grow on trees) as much as you wheel it, where you wheel it, I would go for it.
Yea. I think my judgement is swayed by how much I’ve done and spent in a short amount of time. I will most likely do it all. I’m thinking about buying all the necessary parts little bit at a time then install springs and track bars and everything else involved over the winter. Not sure why I feel like I have to rush it all. I’m not the most patient guy when having to wait on things.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Well it’s good to hear that it’s a slight rake that’s not really noticeable. I feel like it is something that doesn’t have to be rushed into then. Thanks for all the input.

99 TJ 4.0 5sp Sport, mainly fishing and beach buggy. If I put 2" spacers on front and .75" spacers in back to run 33s and eliminate rake, do I need to add anything else if all I do is ride sand at the beach? No crawling or climbing. Trying to avoid TC drop kit, new shocks, springs, bars, BL, etc. I don't haul or trailer anything heavy. I'm running 31s on stock suspension now with no problems other than an occasional control arm tire rub. When i need tires, I want to have room for 33s (KM3s) for beach sand but if config gets more complicated than spacers, I'll drop down to 32s I guess.

99 TJ 4.0 5sp Sport, mainly fishing and beach buggy. If I put 2" spacers on front and .75" spacers in back to run 33s and eliminate rake, do I need to add anything else if all I do is ride sand at the beach? No crawling or climbing. Trying to avoid TC drop kit, new shocks, springs, bars, BL, etc. I don't haul or trailer anything heavy. I'm running 31s on stock suspension now with no problems other than an occasional control arm tire rub. When i need tires, I want to have room for 33s (KM3s) for beach sand but if config gets more complicated than spacers, I'll drop down to 32s I guess.

Ride height is ride height whether it comes from spacers, springs or ACOS. 33s need about 4" of increased ride height or added clearance to maintain the factory amounts of suspension travel.

Ride height is ride height whether it comes from spacers, springs or ACOS. 33s need about 4" of increased ride height or added clearance to maintain the factory amounts of suspension travel.

Let's just forget about the tires for now. What I wanted to know is if I put in 2" spacers, are there any additional hardware mods that are an absolute imperative, or can I put the spacers on and roll. Again, I'm not crawling, climbing, or flexing.

Let's just forget about the tires for now. What I wanted to know is if I put in 2" spacers, are there any additional hardware mods that are an absolute imperative, or can I put the spacers on and roll. Again, I'm not crawling, climbing, or flexing.

Shocks and bump stops. A rear track bar relocation bracket would good. The front is right on the edge of benefiting from an adjustable track bar.

Two inch spacers in the back improves your gas mileage, because appearing like you’re going downhill all the time is easy. Plus, with that super cute rear seat decor you have going on, how can you lose? ; )

• Haha
Reactions: Steel City 06