Need opinions on possible LJ Rubicon purchase

FamilyFunWagon

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I need your opinions. I have an opportunity to pick up an LJ Rubicon. I have always wanted one, but could never find one for a price under 20.

Here is the description:

71000 Miles

2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Automatic
Nth degree Long Arm
AiRock full air suspension with the compressor in the engine bay.
Airaid throttle body spacer and air intake.
35" Mickey Thompson Baja Legend MTZ
Front and Rear Hanson Bumpers
Ramsey Winch
Roll cage ( can't tell if it's rockhard or smittybilt).

It is clean but was definitely used on trailer has scrap plates (nth degree) from front to rear with quite a few scrapes.

Reactions: L J
received_5117269535042279.jpeg

received_543312034445207.jpeg

received_2684000178424871.jpeg

received_1233518964251354.jpeg

received_3609133366039961.jpeg

received_558938539524246.jpeg

Seems to be in decent shape. If you're capable of checking out the engine and trans, and they seem fine, then go for it. If not, I'd be tempted to have it looked at by a shop you trust. Often shops will do a used car inspection. Check the oil, etc. 71K is pretty low miles for the age, so that's nice.

Never seen this: 'AiRock full air suspension with the compressor in the engine bay.' Not sure what you would be doing with that. Hitting a button to go an inch or more higher temporarily?

Reactions: jfetters
I like the SwayLoc. That's all. For under $20K i'd buy it and strip a bunch of stuff off and sell it and get other stuff, except the SwayLoc!

You could buy it and try it as is. It seems he took it off road and it's still in one piece, so it must at least work somewhat for that. You will be able to test it and tell us all about it.

I'd take off the throttle body spacer and look for a stock air intake system.

Looks like there isn't much left that's stock.
Make sure you get a complete list of build parts (if you buy) in case you need to replace anything later.
Have you test driven it yet?

That AiRock system is expensive. I don't know anything about how well it works.

https://offroadonly.com/shop/swaylo...-4-0l-includes-york-on-board-air-and-swayloc/

Although this system seems to be worth a small fortune, that would turn me off. Especially since you mention it's a long drive. I would research this system and see if that's something you want to deal with. I have a Swaylock and ORO is a great company.

I would even go as far as calling ORO and ask them about the system. It's 'out of stock'. Does that mean they no longer make it? Why? You could also ask them what problems to look for with a used Jeep with that system. If parts can still be ordered, etc.

Reactions: John Cooper
Although this system seems to be worth a small fortune, that would turn me off. Especially since you mention it's a long drive. I would research this system and see if that's something you want to deal with. I have a Swaylock and ORO is a great company.

I would even go as far as calling ORO and ask them about the system. It's 'out of stock'. Does that mean they no longer make it? Why? You could also ask them what problems to look for with a used Jeep with that system. If parts can still be ordered, etc.

Good Advice. Thank you

Reactions: suicideking
Seems to be in decent shape. If you're capable of checking out the engine and trans, and they seem fine, then go for it. If not, I'd be tempted to have it looked at by a shop you trust. Often shops will do a used car inspection. Check the oil, etc. 71K is pretty low miles for the age, so that's nice.

Never seen this: 'AiRock full air suspension with the compressor in the engine bay.' Not sure what you would be doing with that. Hitting a button to go an inch or more higher temporarily?

I have the AiRock system on my TJ and have been running it since 2006. Depending on which kit the PO installed it came as a 4" or 6" lift system. The air springs (bag) are Firestone & you can buy them from other vendors other than ORO.

Anyone have any opinions on this setup?

I like the AiRock system & how well it rids going down bumpy roads before you get to the trail. The controller on the dash is what controls the system and below 20 MPH you can adjust your height & then angle from side to side or corner to corner or front to back as you want based on what you're doing. Or you can just leave it alone and drive.
There are times being able to raise the belly up over something can be handy. The main complaint some here don't like about it is that your steering wheel might be a little off center depending on where your height is at that time.

What about the Nth Degree Mobility Stuff. Is that a good setup?

Nth Degree isn't in business anymore but you can get most of the wear items still. Here is a thread all about the Nth Degree

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/nth-degree-mobility-owners-resource-thread.34639/

They are still made and other than their computer for the AiRock system most of the additional parts you can source from other vendors.

If you have questions about the AiRock let me know & I'll try to answer them for you. Yes it's an expensive kit and I'm sure it's why many don't buy it.

I've torn 2 air springs but both were my fault and nothing to do with the product.