California Need recovery in Los Angeles

Tons of guys from California on here. Hopefully one of them sees it soon and chimes in.

My steering linkage broke on elephant hill going down. I broke the number one rule. I came alone.
I need some help.
Where is elephant hill? The only one I know is Canyonlands.

What broke, maybe we can MacGyver it.

Where is elephant hill? The only one I know is Canyonlands.

What broke, maybe we can MacGyver it.

606A9802-871B-41BE-BAB0-3441AF03DBCD.jpeg

33B45D88-FFAE-48EB-838B-F0FC54960C57.jpeg

22158EDA-1188-47EA-8137-439434DE14D2.jpeg

708E373C-DD56-4B55-85EE-5E7F382E24BF.png

Ouch. Thinking out loud here. Could you separate the tie rod and the drag link, remove the broke bit, thread the end into the nut (making it none adjustable), and reattach the tie rod/drag link?

Reactions: DrDmoney
Ouch. Thinking out loud here. Could you separate the tie rod and the drag link, remove the broke bit, thread the end into the nut (making it none adjustable), and reattach the tie rod/drag link?
I thought about removing the broken piece but there’s no way it will be able to thread again. I decided to leave my jeep here for the night. I hope nothing happens to it. I’m with my girlfriend the jeep is pointing downhill and it’s just not safe. Hopefully someone can help me tomorrow.

I thought about removing the broken piece but there’s no way it will be able to thread again. I decided to leave my jeep here for the night. I hope nothing happens to it. I’m with my girlfriend the jeep is pointing downhill and it’s just not safe. Hopefully someone can help me tomorrow.
Glad you guys got out ok.

Maybe someone has a spare drag link sitting around.

This group may be able to help https://www.facebook.com/socaloffroadexplorers/

Overlap both pieces and vice grip together. May get you to safer ground. Then replace broken adjuster. Good luck!

If that is the place off of Mission, I can snag some stock steering and bring it to you. Do you have tools?

Reactions: Chris and Alex01
If that is the place off of Mission, I can snag some stock steering and bring it to you. Do you have tools?
Luckily for me I have a currie steering. My jeep has Oro offroad steering with a adapter plate on the steering knuckle. Could you tell me if my steering knuckle is drilled out ?

9F8CAB5B-24C0-4D8E-BF04-2E4ADF496F6C.png

Luckily for me I have a currie steering. My jeep has Oro offroad steering with a adapter plate on the steering knuckle. Could you tell me if my steering knuckle is drilled out ?

View attachment 220558
Your post got cut off but I think you were asking if the knuckles have been drilled for the bolts. Based on what I see in the instructions, I don't think so. The minor diameter of the taper (small end) is 1/2". I believe he is using 1/2" bolts so you don't have to drill. I also have knuckles if you need them.

Reactions: Alex01
Jeep is not on stable ground. I was going down hill when I hit a bump and the steering broke. I need to move the wheels get down hill to more level ground for the repair.
Your steering very likely broke because something is smacking into the draglink when the axle moves up.

Reactions: Alex01
Your post got cut off but I think you were asking if the knuckles have been drilled for the bolts. Based on what I see in the instructions, I don't think so. The minor diameter of the taper (small end) is 1/2". I believe he is using 1/2" bolts so you don't have to drill. I also have knuckles if you need them.
Yes I was asking if my knuckles have been drilled. Thanks. I will keep you posted. Going to grab a bite to eat then head over to my jeep.