Need some advice about my XJ (and perhaps potentially replacing it)

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
I need some advice about my XJ and whether replacing it is a better idea than fixing it.

Background - I have a 1996 XJ with ~225k miles. Bought it for $1200 sometime in 2018. 2 prev owners and stock suspension, with a good body. Orig 4.0 engine and trans (AW4). After I got the vehicle, I had all the usual maintenance stuff inspected and replaced as necessary (all the fluids, timing chain, water pump, axle seals, H4 headlights). Few months down the line, I found a stupid good deal on a ZJ rear axle with disc brakes and had a local shop swap the rear axle out so I have discs on all 4 corners, and with BMB pads it made an appreciable difference esp on the hwy. Vehicle did not come with a center console, but I found one for super cheap locally and put it in. I also replaced the sagging headliner and put new seat cushions in since the old ones were really done for.

After this initial stuff, the vehicle has been good. The main reason I got the XJ was that I needed a 4x4 or AWD vehicle that could ferry 4 adults + gear for local trips (occasionally on decent forest service roads), and something that had enough capacity for the somewhat larger items once the rear seats are folded back. I have gotten a LOT of use out of it thus far. In the past 6 months or so however, a bunch of issues have started to show up one after the other given the age of the vehicle.
  • Water started puddling up in the front driver/passenger floorboards this past winter. I checked under the cowl and such, but I could not find where the water was coming in from. It was slow but given the winter weather here it never had a chance to dry. I eventually had to go get it checked at a place that specializes in water seals and replace a bunch of door and window seals .. not really surprising but main it was a painful fix in the wintertime since I park this outside and the carpets got nasty fast.
  • Then I had to replace the exhaust manifold (it cracked as it happens in a lot of XJs). The noise and the smell just kept getting worse till I got it fixed.
  • Rear axle has started leaking again .. seems to be coming from the input shaft seat from what I can see. The axle has also started to make a little bit of noise (gear whine essentially). Note I only drive this on the pavement, nothing offroad. May need to rebuild the rear diff?
  • The transmission is starting to act funny (delayed 1-2 shifts, a leak in an unusual spot which my local shop thinks could be a crack in the casting itself but hard to tell without removing the transmission). It was never "smooth" to start given the miles but after the initial fluid change and such it was working OK but now has gotten worse.
  • Engine rear main seal leak has gotten worse and the engine really does not seem to be running as well as before, pretty apparent on local highway drives. I don't have as much power as I used to climbing some of the graded sections. Haven't gotten checked yet but would not be surprised if there is low compression or something in one or more of the cylinders or other issues.
  • Heater core probably needs to be replaced .. kinda not great heat inside the cabin, and I have tried a full flush and one of those products that you put in the system and drive for a few days (forgot the name).
Given all this, I am just wondering if it is worthwhile to fix everything that needs fixing, or buy another XJ (or any other similar vehicle) with lower mileage for what it is going to cost to fix. When I was looking for a 2nd vehicle other than my TJ before I got this, I went through a bunch of options and it came down to either a older Subaru Outback or a 4runner or a XJ, and the XJ was by far the cheapest option in my area. I got pretty lucky buying this for what I did, and it is crazy how much used 4runners and Outbacks go for in the PNW.

Used car prices have gone cuckoo post covid and I am not sure as to what is the best way forward here. While I can keep this XJ going as is for atleast this summer, I want to figure out a plan of action. What would you guys recommend? If I were to go with a different vehicle, other than Outback/4runner is there an option that I have missed? I want it to be new enough to have OBDII diagnostics.

Last edited:
This is from a little over 2 years ago .. after I got new tires and gave it a wash. Looks about the same today, just a little more dirty 😅You can't see it, but the paint isn't that great on the hood and the top but doesn't bother me any.

IMG_20200227_085015.jpg

What do you think the $$ will add up too fixing it? Put that against buying an unknown vehicle and cost of that?

Can easily be a few thousand dollars if engine/trans rebuilds are involved. I suspect it will be at the range where getting a decent replacement vehicle with lower miles and less issues (potentially) needs to be considered - hence the thread :)

I've had several XJs and moved away from them a years ago. As much as liked the platform, I was always working on something. Sacrilege I know, but I bought a used Honda CRV and drove that for years. The only time I ever had to do anything other than an oil change was install new brake pads and rotors. It was safer, more reliable, more comfortable, had creature comforts, got much better gas mileage, and still had all wheel drive. I recently gave that car to my daughter and she now uses it to haul her two kids around in!

Reactions: psrivats
I've had several XJs and moved away from them a years ago. As much as liked the platform, I was always working on something. Sacrilege I know, but I bought a used Honda CRV and drove that for years. The only time I ever had to do anything other than an oil change was install new brake pads and rotors. It was safer, more reliable, more comfortable, had creature comforts, got much better gas mileage, and still had all wheel drive. I recently gave that car to my daughter and she now uses it to haul her two kids around in!
Have you priced out a CRV lately...I am in shock still at the used market. My son's 2018 Crosstrek is going for more now used than we paid when we bought it new. But I get it, rebuilt engine, tranny and other thing on the XJ can easily be $8K

Reactions: Irun
Don't get a Maverick yet...We need a new work vehicle and I thought about getting one. They are few and far between and if You CAN find one on the lot, its MSRP +10,000!

Regarding the Cherokee...Its probably time to move away. I have a hard time with that, as here, they rust before they fall apart mechanically. I know of another one locally with all good mechanicals...and rusty body. I think he's askin 1500. One of my buddies is contemplating it.

Wish you were closer buddy. We'd get you runnin down the road again!

• Wow
LS swap

or keep the XJ and fix what has to be fixed and live with what doesn't until some sanity returns to the used car market

I like the Isuzu Rodeo vs the XJ. I'd personally leverage the stupid XJ values and get the Isuzu. Get what you like, old vehicles all have bullshit issues, that's life. Generally cost of entry is irrelevant, maintenance is what gets you on older rigs.

Don't get a Maverick yet...We need a new work vehicle and I thought about getting one. They are few and far between and if You CAN find one on the lot, its MSRP +10,000!

Regarding the Cherokee...Its probably time to move away. I have a hard time with that, as here, they rust before they fall apart mechanically. I know of another one locally with all good mechanicals...and rusty body. I think he's askin 1500. One of my buddies is contemplating it.

Wish you were closer buddy. We'd get you runnin down the road again!

The dealer markups have gotten insane. I heard specialty vehicles (e.g. Bronco) have even larger markups, because they can. It amazes me that atleast some people are willing to pay that much.

I think I need to move away from this particular XJ if not now, but perhaps this fall/winter. @L J you said exactly what is in my mind .. fix what absolutely needs to be fixed and just live with it for now. But I'll come back to the same question later .. what do I replace it with? I guess taking more time to think about it is not a bad idea while the market cools a little.

@pagrey I don't think I've even seen a single Rodeo on the road in the last few years. So many newer SUVs and crossovers on the road in general.

But I'll come back to the same question later .. what do I replace it with? I guess taking more time to think about it is not a bad idea while the market cools a little.
something Japanese - even though you'll probably pay a premium

The prices of used XJ's is insane right now, 7K and up for a decent unmolested one. That's a lot of $$$ for what was once considered the "Red headed stepchild" of the Jeep line up. A couple of years ago, a nice one could be had for $3-$4k.
I've been looking for one for months for one of my kids but am now reconsidering.
As for pricing, everything has gone up due to a shortage of vehicles. Japanese vehicles are commanding a premium price right now.
My mother bought her Civic off lease a few months back. She paid cash for it. The dealer has been calling trying to buy it back.
They just recently offered her close to $10k over what she paid for it.