Need some 'family' input - sorta long winded, though

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
I found this forum & joined in September 2016, and consider @Chris and all the rest of you family. I've enjoyed every minute on this forum, had a lot of laughs, some things that really pissed me off, learned a ton, and hopefully added something to the forum. I frequented JK forums (and others) when I had my two JKs, the Tacomaworld forum for my 2013 Tacoma 4x4, and I can honestly say none of those hold a candle to WTJF. The members here are for the most part respectful, eager for knowledge, willing to help out, and patient with new folk. I love this place, probably a little too much, I spend way too much time here...

My dilemma is this - I find myself less and less interested in crawling around under my TJ these days. The weird thing is I'm torn between really building it into a more capable off-road vehicle, realizing it is already very capable in stock form, though, and simply going a different direction. One that does not include a Jeep at all. I'm looking at retiring from my job of the last 34 years next year, and am trying to simplify things. I currently have the 04 TJR, a few $k left on the loan, the 2013 Tacoma TRD 4x4, paid for, and my wife's 2012 Honda Civic, also free and clear. The home is also paid off.

So, I'm really considering the future. I have owned somewhere around 13 Jeeps, CJ, YJ, JK, but mostly TJs, since 1988 when I got my first CJ, which I actually hated, and sold after a few months. I've had new off the lot, new ordered from the factory, beaters, and everything in between, stock and built. Everyone I know calls me the Jeep guy, and asks my advice when looking to get a Jeep. I've sold several of my TJs to co-workers, some still drive them.

The TJ holds less and less interest for me for some reason these days. I haven't really wheeled it in some time, and can't say I've missed it. I'd like to travel a bit more to the states around NM, and let's face it, a TJ is not the greatest vehicle for long road trips. One option is to sell the TJR (25k on the odo) and the Tacoma (18k miles) to finance a T4R, with some left over...

31 years of Jeeps is hard to let go of, but maybe the Jeep fever has run its course. I think part of my waning interest in wrenching is I lost my son 13 years ago, he and I worked on a lot of cars together, and his loss might be catching up with me after all these years.

Long story made longer, I'm at a crossroads, not sure which way I'll go. The TJ & Tacoma will never be more sellable than right now, and it's a shame for a low-mileage, rust-free, pristine TJR to not be getting used as it is meant to be...

Sorry for the long saga. Just wondering why the TJ interest is waning...

Last edited:
I get jeep burnout myself from time to time. Well, damn near all the time now. Getting close to retirement as well and I wonder where my once manic jeep interest went.
I'll take it out on a few rough trails and the interest returns. But then it fades again. The timing btwn love and disinterest are getting shorter and shorter.
I would have sold the jeeps years ago but for the wife telling me to keep them.
One reaches a place where they are just done with something. There's nothing wrong with that.

Firstly, my belated condolences on the loss of your son. Even after 13 years, I know some things never become "past". A Parent should never have to suffer the passing of a child.

As to misplacing some of your desire to wrench on a Jeep, I can understand that too. At some point, you start feeling like you might want to enjoy using a vehicle more than working on it or that seeing things other than dirt and rocks might be more aligned with your desires. The 4Runner is a capable machine with a lot of creature comforts that make living in it a great deal more enjoyable, once you've gotten past the "living like a caveman is half the fun" thing.

I know that I and many others here would dearly love to have an LJR like yours but, if it doesn't thrill you, then perhaps it's time to seek a new adventure.

Firstly, my belated condolences on the loss of your son. Even after 13 years, I know some things never become "past". A Parent should never have to suffer the passing of a child.

As to misplacing some of your desire to wrench on a Jeep, I can understand that too. At some point, you start feeling like you might want to enjoy using a vehicle more than working on it or that seeing things other than dirt and rocks might be more aligned with your desires. The 4Runner is a capable machine with a lot of creature comforts that make living in it a great deal more enjoyable, once you've gotten past the "living like a caveman is half the fun" thing.

I know that I and many others here would dearly love to have an LJR like yours but, if it doesn't thrill you, then perhaps it's time to seek a new adventure.
Just to clarify, it's not an LJR. Thank you, though, for the insight. Very much appreciated.

As to misplacing some of your desire to wrench on a Jeep, I can understand that too. At some point, you start feeling like you might want to enjoy using a vehicle more than working on it

It's odd. I know.... But I still enjoy working on my jeep TJ. But actually using it, not so much.

It's just getting old. It does wierd stuff to us.

I found this forum & joined in September 2016, and consider @Chris and all the rest of you family. I've enjoyed every minute on this forum, had a lot of laughs, some things that really pissed me off, learned a ton, and hopefully added something to the forum. I frequented JK forums (and others) when I had my two JKs, the Tacomaworld forum for my 2013 Tacoma 4x4, and I can honestly say none of those hold a candle to WTJF. The members here are for the most part respectful, eager for knowledge, willing to help out, and patient with new folk. I love this place, probably a little too much, I spend way too much time here...

My dilemma is this - I find myself less and less interested in crawling around under my TJ these days. The weird thing is I'm torn between really building it into a more capable off-road vehicle, realizing it is already very capable in stock form, though, and simlly going a different direction. One that does not include a Jeep at all. I'm looking at retiring from my job of the last 34 years next year, and am trying to simplify things. I currently have the 04 TJR, a few $k left on the loan, the 2013 Tacoma TRD 4x4, paid for, and my wife's 2012 Honda Civic, also free and clear. The home is also paid off.

So, I'm really considering the future. I have owned somewhere around 13 Jeeps, CJ, YJ, JK, but mostly TJs, since 1988 when I got my first CJ, which I actually hated, and sold after a few months. I've had new off the lot, new ordered from the factory, beaters, and everything in between, stock and built. Everyone I know calls me the Jeep guy, and asks my advice when looking to get a Jeep. I've sold several of my TJs to co-workers, some still drive them.

The TJ holds less and less interest for me for some reason these days. I haven't really wheeled it in some time, and can't say I've missed it. I'd like to travel a bit more to the states around NM, and let's face it, a TJ is not the greatest vehicle for long road trips. One option is to sell the TJR (25k on the odo) and the Tacoma (18k miles) to finance a T4R, with some left over...

31 years of Jeeps is hard to let go of, but maybe the Jeep fever has run its course. I think part of my waning interest in wrenching is I lost my son 13 years ago, he and I worked on a lot of cars together, and his loss might be catching up with me after all these years.

Long story made longer, I'm at a crossroads, not sure which way I'll go. The TJ & Tacoma will never be more sellable than right now, and it's a shame for a low-mileage, rust-free, pristine TJR to not be getting used as it is meant to be...

Sorry for the long saga. Just wondering why the TJ interest is waning...
I too would like to offer my condolences on the loss of your son. I cannot even begin to imagine such a loss.
Regarding your loss of interest in jeeping, I say you have to go with your heart. Should you decide to sell your rig I as well as many others here would hope that you stay on the forum. Your input and your humor would be greatly missed.
Lou

Now would be the time to part with the tj if you were debating on selling. They arnt bringing what they were even a year ago. Prices are coming down. With yours only having 24k miles it should generate some interest. Gotta do what you wanna do and be happy. If you want a Jeep again I know you Iike JKs...those are everywhere and anywhere these days. I could see you in a 2 door tank green JKr haha.

Sorry for your loss also. A parent should never have to bury his child. I sold my TJR and I still frequent here. It’s my favorite forum by far.

@glwood I've enjoyed your posts here very much. Very sorry to hear about your son. I cannot even begin to understand what you must have gone through.

For your question on TJ, my only input is this. I've always believed that the vehicle we drive is a means to an end. What we drive matters, but what matters much more is where we go and what we do there and how we spend our time. Some people enjoy car ownership (and all that comes with it) for it's own enjoyment. I've never been that person, but rather, my vehicles have always been primarily about taking me places I want to go. As I get older, I find more and more that I want to spend my time purposefully than otherwise.

You well know my upgrade saga and the pain even on my "mild" build. That risk is always there no matter the vehicle. If all you want to do is travel, go places, enjoy the outdoors more, you don't necessarily need a TJ or jeep of any kind. If you want to do have done mild off-road fun, any decent truck today (or something like the 4runner or even a Subaru) is plenty capable. A Jeep is more capable by design, and we tend to build it further for fun which is not always needed or necessary.

Listen to your heart and follow where it guides you. Put the TJ in storage for the summer, drive another vehicle of your choice and go have fun doing what you want to do. If at the end of summer you haven't missed driving the Jeep, you can always sell it. You have a very nice and well taken care of example and you'll find a good home for it easily.

@glwood, I understand totally getting burned out of working on stuff, but with 25K, I don't think there is anything you really have to fix right? It is just upgrades and such. Here is my suggestion, although it sounds like you have your mind made up, I suggest really thinking hard about this. Here is why, if you sell your TJR, and hang around here with us, you will miss it. You will probably miss it to the point where you will want to buy another one and you will be hard pressed to find what you already have.

I am not telling you to keep it either, I am just suggesting really try and think of all consequences of selling it. I agree, it is not a globetrotting machine, but maybe if you got some sort of small motorhome to globetrot in, and tow the Jeep behind, so you can drive it where you end up traveling?

Maybe if you park it way in the back of the yard, and don't drive it for a while, you can see if you start missing it to test if you really want to get rid of it. You have done some really cool things to make it your own, like new bumpers.

I do feel what you are saying. I have the same thoughts of selling my motorcycle. I used to ride it as a daily driver for 15 years, and since I got my latest TJ. It sits in the garage. It is a purdy 50th anniversary yellow, and it is probably worth more than the average same year bike, but I can't get myself to sell my last bike. Even though I don't really ride it anymore, I am still hanging on to it. Of course it doesn't take as much room as yours, but I have sold Jeeps before and regretted it later.

Again, not really trying to tell you not to sell it. Just to not take it lightly is all. I was really hoping you were going to join us up in Moab next month.

If you do end up selling it, I don't think anybody would complain if you still hung out with us. Good luck with your decision, I am behind you 100% whatever you decide!

30+ years and still a Jeep fan and still money in your pocket !! well done.
No matter what you do we'd never kick you of the forum (Like @Starrs) you guys are part of the furniture here.
Only you can fully understand what going on in your head and heart but Jeep has always been about Freedom and choices. you need to be free to choose to build or to sell.

Before putting it up for sale, try parking it somewhere, maybe at a storage facility or friends place, and see how you feel without it being around. If looking out into the driveway and seeing it not there makes you sad, you'll know to keep it. If you feel relief, or nothing at all, maybe it is time to sell it.

I've gone through something similar. The difference is my lifetime interest in motorcycles has waned and Jeeps have take their place. The most important part of the problem for me re: loss of interest in MC, is not losing the group of friends I made through the years. The result is I am down to just 1 motorcycle and a couple of rides a year. The upside is I have gotten some of my MC buds involved in 4x4s. We use the 4x4s to go many of the same places we went on motorcycles. The difference is that when it is hot, we roll up the window and turn on the AC. :) The morale of the story is that any hobby can be done in ways to fit you interest. It isn't a all or nothing endeavor.

Eh, interests change over time, so it's totally natural for a car that you loved to just not give off the same spark that it used to. I'd just urge that you take your time on any decision since it's not necessarily an easy one to go back on.

Taking some time to try out other cars is probably a good idea. You could also check out Turo.com if you're thinking trying some other cars.