Need some 'family' input - sorta long winded, though

I agree interests change as we get older. I’m not into the same things I was 10 years ago. IMHO as we are getting older, nothing’s more important than time and health. Find things that are worth your time. We all share the common love for TJs but at the end of the day, it’s just a Jeep. It’s a material thing. If it doesn’t bring joy and value in your life anymore, it’s ok to move on. Use the money for your new interests. Spend more time and money with family and traveling. Experiences are much more valuable. Just my two cents.

Another one here with a motorcyle. It was pretty much a daily the first few years. I frequented the forums and was saving up to buy stuff for it left and right. When I bought my jeep my interest faded away from the MC to 4x4ing. Just within the last few weeks though have I really started to gain that interest of MCs back by working on mine again.

My opinion, sell it. Even if you do find that passion again there is always another jeep out there. My dad always says "where there is one, there is another". Ive found that to be pretty accurate over the years.

I frequented JK forums (and others) when I had my two JKs, the Tacomaworld forum for my 2013 Tacoma 4x4, and I can honestly say none of those hold a candle to WTJF. The members here are for the most part respectful, eager for knowledge, willing to help out, and patient with new folk. I love this place, probably a little too much, I spend way too much time here...

Very true. Ive been on multiple motorcycle forums, a few chevy truck forums, a couple of cummins engine forums, and now a few jeep forums. This one here is by far the best for the exact reasons you mentioned above.

Reactions: glwood
I've been down this road myself. I burnout, get rid of the Jeep along with all the extra parts, and start into something new. A year or two goes by, and I start longing for a road trip or just some top down/doors off trips around town, treating the Jeep more like a motorcycle than a Jeep, and I start the process all over again.
The TJs are not the best vehicles for most road trips, but then again, they are the perfect vehicle for some road trips. So, with my most recent Jeep, my focus has been just that - not overbuilding it. And I am building it with the thought in mind that it will be with me for the long haul. I want it dead on reliable, as maintenance free as is reasonable, and not rusting away. My daughter loves this Jeep dearly, and it has gotten me through some sticky life events, so it will be mine until it is hers. (at least that is the intention) I don't know that I will ever have enough room to just keep it sitting around when I am not interested, but I will find a way, because I know that sooner or later I will want to take it out for a ride again. They are noisy and rough riding, and consume fuel at an embarrassing rate on the highway, but I love nothing more than combining a long road trip into some trail runs and exploration, even if it is only once per year.
With all that said, I'll encourage you to hang onto it, if you have the means at all. Once they are paid off, it doesn't really cost much to keep them in the stable. And when you get the urge, for even a short trip around town, it will be there. And it is extremely unlikely that you'll find another with the kind of mileage yours has on it. If nothing else, at this point, you could really start seeing the silly little thing as a bit of an investment. The value of a low mileage TJR is definitely not going to go down in the coming years, if you ask me.

I second @ac_'s advice. If you have any doubt, Don't sell quite yet. You have a pristine example and they are hard to come by. If you do decide to sell both vehicles, I would suggest an Unlimited (4dr JK or JL), as you still get a Jeep, but they are much more practical. You've had JK's and they didn't do it for you like the TJ, right? Its a tough spot. You have to follow your passion.

I will say don't ever regret a decision that gets made though. You can almost always go back and "undo" the thing you regret. In other words, you CAN always get another TJR with low miles...Might cost you some extra money, but in the grand scheme of things...what is an extra couple grand compared to living life regret free and happy?

Reactions: glwood and ac_
Can't even imagine losing my son, so my condolences as well.

Great advice in this thread. Seems winter time is when the same thoughts cross my mind, less trail riding, more maintenance, and less topless time. Maybe hold off on any upgrades and instead of parking it, drop the top and doors in a few weeks when the weather gets great and just drive it.

Don't feel like to be part of this forum you need to own a TJ. I've noticed every single forum I've been a member of in the past, there are always a bunch of guys who have been around for so long, that they stick around even after they sell their vehicle. I totally get that too. Sometimes a place is just a nice place to hangout due to the people / environment.

I will admit that I myself was starting to get disillusioned with my Jeep. Admittedly, this wasn't because I was tired of owning a Jeep, it's because I was tired of owning a "project". I got so wrapped up going down this rabbit holt of mods, that my Jeep turned into a garage queen that was always, always, always having something done to it.

The problem was, all I actually wanted to be out doing was driving my Jeep or taking it off-road and having fun. I wasn't getting the chance to do that though, since there was always something to be done. I kept thinking to myself, "Man, next time I buy a Jeep, I'm going to buy one that is either already built, or needs very, very little in terms of modifications." My TJ didn't actually "need" any of those modifications, again, I just got suckered into a huge rabbit hole, probably from watching a lot of the guys on this forum build up their TJs.

Anyways, I definitely learned my lesson I think.

There's nothing wrong with you wanting to give Jeeps a break and do other things with your life. Hell, I always think about how I could live without my Jeep, but the one thing I couldn't live without is my love for playing guitar and music in general. Give me a bunch of guitars and I would forget about my Jeep in no time. I guess it's the one hobby that I have that's bigger than the Jeep.

Of course what I've come to realize is that if your Jeep doesn't cost that much, there's no harm in keeping it in the garage and only driving it from time-to-time. However, I can also understand not wanting to have something of value that you don't use, just sit around. Especially when you could sell it for money.

One thing is for sure though, you have a pristine example of a TJ. That alone might be reason to keep it.

So I'm not sure what the answer is. Sell one of your vehicles? Sell both of them? Either way, you're always welcome here, Jeep or no Jeep!

@glwood You ARE part of the fabric that makes this forum great!

My son and I wrench together and obviously wouldn't want to think of losing him and cant possibly fathom the pain you've endured. Is it possible that the TJR is a reminder of these good times working together? Painful or pleasant? If pleasant maybe that would spur you to keep it?

As far as retirement and shifting gears....perhaps a little class C diesel MH flat towing the TJR to see the world?

All hobbies have one thing in common, they bond people of similar interest. It's about the friendships and camaraderie developed along the way.

I am really sorry to hear about you losing your son. I can't even imagine the pain you must have and still endure from that loss. As far as the jeep goes you need to do whatever makes you happy. There will always be a jeep for sale on craigslist that you can buy later.

Reactions: tomtaylz and glwood
I’ve been retired for three years now, the last year has seen limited ability to perform even mildly physical tasks due to losing a kidney to cancer and a second abdominal surgery to repair the hernia damage that brought the cancerous tumor to the doctors’ attention. I’ve put limited mileage on our TJ and near zero wrenching as a result...but it still puts a smile on my face when I do drive it because it’s just so much darn fun and I’m not on anything but pavement and gravel roads.

Retirement is boring, focus on what might generate happiness and follow that thought. If that means parting with your Jeep, so be it.

My deepest condolences for the loss of your son.

I lived in Albuquerque for 8 years and exploring the desert southwest was great fun. I'm looking forward to retirement and spending time in the region again.

All the best with your retirement and new adventures.

I wouldn't sell, but I have only sold 2 vehicles in my life and had another one stolen. 1 vehicle was an absolute turd and the other needed work I wasn't going to do.

In my teens and early 20s I loved racing cars and motorcycles, but after lots of lost skin, tickets from that stuff on the road, that desire just completely left me. I think it had a lot to do with boredom and hating city life and concrete while I was going to school. Once I was finished or at least saw the light at the end of the tunnel and got the heck out of the city and into the woods at every chance those desires vanished. I kept that stuff as long as they ran, because I didn't have much choice, but racing for me has no interest at all besides the tools and mechanical how to type stuff. So as far as losing interest and knowing when to get out I understand, but I lost interest, because in hindsight, I think maybe I wasn't actually enjoying what I thought I was enjoying.

I grew up with the fondest memories riding in a CJ-5 and riding in the back of pick-up trucks around farms and strip mines. My 97 year old grandfather still drives a YJ with no AC and it's a manual. I have always admired simplicity, even though I'm of a generation grown up surrounded by stuff and I definitely love tinkering and gadgets. In all actuality I've spent substantially more miles on my feet in the woods/off-road than any vehicle off-road combined. I feel like the TJ is a slight reminder of simplicity and mine is very much a utility vehicle for me, which isn't likely the norm. I love road trips with the TJ much more than any luxury/comfort oriented vehicle, but that's obviously based on emotion so if that's gone, there's little use for going through the motions.

I find when it comes to decisions, when you're not discussing specifications then someone is just confiding in what they're going to do and often looking for approval.

Condolences on your son. I assume your desire to wrench was more to spend time rather little to do with the Jeep if you looked deep enough, though wrenching can simply just be a means to an end. In any case I could only add that if it reminds you of good times (often in hindsight) and memories, I would be very hesitant to sell. But maybe you're just out of much need to do any wrenching and maybe you need to sell and need some time to rekindle the desire for a project in the upcoming years or possibly you'll just want to enjoy all the moments without busting your knuckles or holes that won't line up.

My condolences. I can empathize with the loss of interest after a tragedy. Not related to Jeeps, there were activities I did with my Dad, but quit doing after he passed away. Hard to explain it because they were things I truly loved doing too.

On the Jeep thing, I've been thru the build, build, build too. Finally, realizing it never ends, for the past 10 years I have been returning my TJR to stock configuration mechanically. I also went exactly the opposite direction in what I love to drive. Anything new is just way too complex for me to enjoy anymore. I would gravitate to that dreaded CJ5 rather than a Silverado or Tesla or anything in between. I find my TJR the most comfortable long distance traveler around. Last summer driving down the gorge, I84, all I wanted to do was take off the doors.

So yes, times definitely change. For me, no more Mustangs. No more rally cars. No more ice racers. I might even sell the boat. I love exploring with a TJ and a TearDrop trailer. This summer I'll be doing that in BC. Next summer the plan is 5000 miles, Pacific Coast highway, Death Valley, Bonneville Speed Week, Yellowstone and home.

I'm really interested in where your adventure goes. As Chris says, no need to own a TJ to participate here..... maybe there could be a forum for TJ ex-pats. There is a common bond here. Especially for us retirees looking for purpose.

Last edited:
Again, I want to reiterate that all the responses received have been very helpful, and very much appreciated.

The one thing I won't do is make a rash decision on the spur of the moment. When we lost our son (and unfortunately my mom the same day, yow), one of the best pieces of advice given by someone at that time is to never make a life-changing decision while in the midst of dealing with a tragedy, or some other important emotional issue.

While this is 13 years down the road, I realize the attachment I've had for a long time to driving a Jeep, so it is with great care that I explore the possibility of changing directions. The JKR I ordered in 2006 from the factory was due mostly to a note in my mom's safe regarding dealing with her estate. It said 'when all is taken care of, buy yourself the truck or Jeep you've always wanted', which I did. Unfortunately, six years later I got the itch for another TJ, and sold that JKR. Worst decision ever. Not that it was that great of a Jeep, it had some issues also, but I never should have given that one up, due to how it came to be, plus the TJR I bought then was a dog. I just made a rash decision one day. It happens.

@glwood i can't speak on whether to sell or not, since that is a financial decision. I do know, in retirement... you want to decrease fixed costs, so taking on a new vehicle payment should give pause. Currently, i am helping my parents get set for retirement, and that has been the mantra... reduce costs.

One thing I can share though from experience is how I view my Jeep, and why my passion is still strong.

First off.. i like all offroad vehicles.. but MY jeep has an affinity to me due to it being my first vehicle ever bought.... and all the life adventures I have done with it. (Cross country moving, raised daughter in it, camping, fishing, exploring trips...).

I couldnt see myself parting with it ever.
Kind of like a cowboy and his horse... or a Han Solo Millenium Falcon type of bond.

Anyways.. my point is this... my Wanderlust, adventure seeking, outdoors nature is the anchor to the jeep... i can get tired of a vehicle.. but i dont see myself getting tired of what i do with that vehicle.

If you find yourself tired of whatever you did with the jeep.. then it might be time to sell.

But keep in mind.. a jeep is versatile. 16 yr old girls and 70 yr old men rock this vehicle for diff reasons.

Hopefully this vid will help reignite a lost love.

Interests do change, one thing about Jeeps is they’re definitely special purpose in some ways, follow your interests and do what makes you happy. As Alex said there’s always other Jeeps around, sure it might not be as low miles, etc but it’ll still have the fun there.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the future of my Jeep also and I can emphasize with you about the roadtrips and being in the Jeep. I’m in a situation where I can only have one vehicle and as my 3-4 hour drives for camping/exploring become 6,7,8+ hours I might be having the same dilemma as you in a year or two.

Again, I want to reiterate that all the responses received have been very helpful, and very much appreciated.

The one thing I won't do is make a rash decision on the spur of the moment. When we lost our son (and unfortunately my mom the same day, yow), one of the best pieces of advice given by someone at that time is to never make a life-changing decision while in the midst of dealing with a tragedy, or some other important emotional issue.

While this is 13 years down the road, I realize the attachment I've had for a long time to driving a Jeep, so it is with great care that I explore the possibility of changing directions. The JKR I ordered in 2006 from the factory was due mostly to a note in my mom's safe regarding dealing with her estate. It said 'when all is taken care of, buy yourself the truck or Jeep you've always wanted', which I did. Unfortunately, six years later I got the itch for another TJ, and sold that JKR. Worst decision ever. Not that it was that great of a Jeep, it had some issues also, but I never should have given that one up, due to how it came to be, plus the TJR I bought then was a dog. I just made a rash decision one day. It happens.
Have you ever considered trying to track down the JKR and buy it back? Was it a private party or dealer trade in? You can learn a bit about its location by going to https://www.mycarfax.com/garage

If you plug in the vin number it will give you its recent service history so at least you could know its general location.

Have you ever considered trying to track down the JKR and buy it back? Was it a private party or dealer trade in? You can learn a bit about its location by going to https://www.mycarfax.com/garage

If you plug in the vin number it will give you its recent service history so at least you could know its general location.
I've considered it from time to time. I'll look up the VIN at home, and plug it into the website linked, thanks. This will astound a lot of folks, considering what a new JLR costs these days...this is the order sheet from my JKR back in 2006. It had every option minus engine block heater and automatic transmission, take a gander at the hand-written total price at the end:

I've considered it from time to time. I'll look up the VIN at home, and plug it into the website linked, thanks. This will astound a lot of folks, considering what a new JLR costs these days...this is the order sheet from my JKR back in 2006. It had every option minus engine block heater and automatic transmission, take a gander at the hand-written total price at the end:
View attachment 83388
Damn. That's 1/2 the price of a new same optioned price. And a better jeep if one considers the front axle disconnect bullshit they started again with the JL.