Need some 'family' input - sorta long winded, though

There's also a thing in Australia about buying a 4wd and a caravan on retirement and doing a lap of the country. One couple I knew though bugger that and bought a used 911 and took off and stayed in pubs and motels.
This reminds me of my parents honeymoon. They bought a new '47 Ford in Vancouver and drove LA, Key West, Washington and back home across Canada. It has always been a goal of mine to do that.... especially in a '47 Ford.

Heres Mom in California.

This reminds me of my parents honeymoon. They bought a new '47 Ford in Vancouver and drove LA, Key West, Washington and back home across Canada. It has always been a goal of mine to do that.... especially in a '47 Ford.

Heres Mom in California.
View attachment 83540

My parents did the same.. the drove the perimeter of the US on their honeynoon in a chevy nova 2 my dad built.

Man I'm going to tell you straight up:

Do what your heart and gut tells you to do.

Let someone else enjoy the thing and give it the attention it needs if you don't have the energy time and desire.

we love these things and we want everyone to love them like we love them but that's just not always the case.... Sometimes it's the point of life that you're at, or your current temperament, or just the time that you have available to do something and as you get older you realize more and more time is your only real resource that you can't renew.

Don't get mad and sell it just because you can't take a bolt off, but if you thought it over and you don't think it's going to be something that's going to be fun for you right now, follow your heart.

I'm 52 and I have had some really good years these last four or five years in my business and personal finances.... There have been a few times when chasing down another noise or whatever it was on the thing just seemed like a bridge too far.

I even came dangerously close to purchasing a 2016 JK Rubicon just to see what the fuss was all about. ...till I came to the realization that I wasn't going to be able to tell over the noise my wife was making about it.

She gave me the " sell the TJ and get anything you want line ."

.....when it got down to it I didn't really want the burden of shuffling two vehicles around the yard and trying to keep the rain and sun off them and all the crap I do like that.

Any way, back to you... We won't be bitter if you do what you think you need to do.... There may be a gnawing hatred so bad we taste the bile in our mouths over it , but no , not bitter or upset. Not us !

Best wishes whatever you do , do what makes sense and works for you and your family . Think it over good first though .

Nice ones are getting harder to find , but they are out there and will be.

Man I'm going to tell you straight up:

Do what your heart and gut tells you to do.

Let someone else enjoy the thing and give it the attention it needs if you don't have the energy time and desire.

we love these things and we want everyone to love them like we love them but that's just not always the case.... Sometimes it's the point of life that you're at, or your current temperament, or just the time that you have available to do something and as you get older you realize more and more time is your only real resource that you can't renew.

Don't get mad and sell it just because you can't take a bolt off, but if you thought it over and you don't think it's going to be something that's going to be fun for you right now, follow your heart.

I'm 52 and I have had some really good years these last four or five years in my business and personal finances.... There have been a few times when chasing down another noise or whatever it was on the thing just seemed like a bridge too far.

I even came dangerously close to purchasing a 2016 JK Rubicon just to see what the fuss was all about. ...till I came to the realization that I wasn't going to be able to tell over the noise my wife was making about it.

She gave me the " sell the TJ and get anything you want line ."

.....when it got down to it I didn't really want the burden of shuffling two vehicles around the yard and trying to keep the rain and sun off them and all the crap I do like that.

Any way, back to you... We won't be bitter if you do what you think you need to do.... There may be a gnawing hatred so bad we taste the bile in our mouths over it , but no , not bitter or upset. Not us !

Best wishes whatever you do , do what makes sense and works for you and your family . Think it over good first though .

Nice ones are getting harder to find , but they are out there and will be.
Again, I really appreciate the time taken and insight given, thank you. I'm taking it slow, been down a road like this before. If I do end up out of the TJ, this time I don't see another one in the future. I've got it pretty good with what I have, though, so there's no hurry to decide. Gonna do some test drives to see if anything else sparks anything anywhere near what this Rubicon did and has for the last few years.

I can relate in the context that I once loved wrenching on, cleaning and detailing vehicles. But as I age all of that is more of a chore than anything.

I’ve wanted a Jeep for many years. I always thought it would be an old CJ that I would buy, restore, install a modern V8 and run around with no top.

Then I developed an interest in off-roading, or more aptly maybe overlandibg with some mild “wheeling”.

My interest in having a Jeep spanned 20 years before I finally bought one a year ago. But it wasn’t a CJ as I didn’t want a basket case that I had to build myself. So I got my 04 TJ and did some bolt ons and fixing things. Took it for some mild wheeling once and it was fun, but a lot of work.

I’ve not been wheeling since. But I still want to overland. Just discover some nice scenery off the beaten track. So I’ve scrapped plans to build this thing into a tall rig. I’ve got 31s and no lift. I’ll probably replace stock shocks and put a 1.5” spacer lift on. That’s it.

I still love driving my Jeep though. Top off doors off. I have a “Beamer” as you are calling them, but it’s new (X3 M40i) and a 15 Dodge Challenger. But if the weathee is warm and not raining I choose to drive the Jeep. In fact I scan the weather forecasts constantly hoping for “Jeep days”.

Very long winded way of saying...do you still like the top down open air or road driving with your Jeep? Just because wheeling isn’t appealing to you as much any more there are plenty of reasons to love your Jeep as a commuter or overlandibg vehicle. Don’t get caught up in the “use the Jeep as intended” crowd. The intended use of your Jeep is what you want to use it for since it’s yours.

I can relate in the context that I once loved wrenching on, cleaning and detailing vehicles. But as I age all of that is more of a chore than anything.

I’ve wanted a Jeep for many years. I always thought it would be an old CJ that I would buy, restore, install a modern V8 and run around with no top.

Then I developed an interest in off-roading, or more aptly maybe overlandibg with some mild “wheeling”.

My interest in having a Jeep spanned 20 years before I finally bought one a year ago. But it wasn’t a CJ as I didn’t want a basket case that I had to build myself. So I got my 04 TJ and did some bolt ons and fixing things. Took it for some mild wheeling once and it was fun, but a lot of work.

I’ve not been wheeling since. But I still want to overland. Just discover some nice scenery off the beaten track. So I’ve scrapped plans to build this thing into a tall rig. I’ve got 31s and no lift. I’ll probably replace stock shocks and put a 1.5” spacer lift on. That’s it.

I still love driving my Jeep though. Top off doors off. I have a “Beamer” as you are calling them, but it’s new (X3 M40i) and a 15 Dodge Challenger. But if the weathee is warm and not raining I choose to drive the Jeep. In fact I scan the weather forecasts constantly hoping for “Jeep days”.

Very long winded way of saying...do you still like the top down open air or road driving with your Jeep? Just because wheeling isn’t appealing to you as much any more there are plenty of reasons to love your Jeep as a commuter or overlandibg vehicle. Don’t get caught up in the “use the Jeep as intended” crowd. The intended use of your Jeep is what you want to use it for since it’s yours.
That is a fantastic post.

What a Jeep is really intended for is fun and enjoyment.. whether it's tackling the Rubicon or going to the Dollar General.

Or just tinkering with it and to get your mind off the hassle of life.

For me personally 98% of Jeep enjoyment has always been just simply being able to take the top off and knowing that I could go about anywhere if I wanted to.

The only wrong thing you can do is to let it become a burden and cause you mental pain or frustration.

I walk the line between I'm going to make my Jeep absolutely flawless and man this thing is 16 years old it's had the living crap wheeled out of it, it's paid for so be glad it works.

That is a fantastic post.
I agree, and take the points made to heart. I do have to agree that whether you're conquering the biggest trail obstacle, or going to Sonic for a burger & shake with the top down, it's hard to match a TJ for a driving adventure.

@mde8965, thanks again for the input, very encouraging. I just looked back through your thread about your TJ, and really like all your upgrades. The only thing I would add to your TJ is a Zone 1.75 BB. That would look great, and you wouldn't have to deal with any vibrations.

Reactions: mde8965
I agree, and take the points made to heart. I do have to agree that whether you're conquering the biggest trail obstacle, or going to Sonic for a burger & shake with the top down, it's hard to match a TJ for a driving adventure.

@mde8965, thanks again for the input, very encouraging. I just looked back through your thread about your TJ, and really like all your upgrades. The only thing I would add to your TJ is a Zone 1.75 BB. That would look great, and you wouldn't have to deal with any vibrations.
Thanks for your post. And we are on the same wavelength. I plan to do a budget boost. And not much else. I’m hoarding moose sensors and other things I need to keep this TJ on the road for as long as possible. And given that I drive it 2-3k per year and it has 52k on it, it will probably outlive me.

That said when I’m retired in 7 years or so I can’t wait to just take leisurely top down doors off cruises and have my time be my own.

Good luck with your decision...

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for your post. And we are on the same wavelength. I plan to do a budget boost. And not much else. I’m hoarding moose sensors and other things I need to keep this TJ on the road for as long as possible. And given that I drive it 2-3k per year and it has 52k on it, it will probably outlive me.

That said when I’m retired in 7 years or so I can’t wait to just take leisurely top down doors off cruises and have my time be my own.

Good luck with your decision...
I thought moose sensors were for the north woods. Didn't know you had those in Florida.😄

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mde8965 and Chris
I am a lot closer to my Mom than I was my Dad. I can't even imagine losing her AND one of my boys in the same day.You have my sincere condolances. as I have read through this thread, there is a lot of very valuable insight, that I am not sure I can improve upon but I hope will assist you in you deliberations. If you need to take a break from your TJ, lend it to your daughter...with the understand that it is still yours?

Reactions: Chris
It's looking more and more like the Rubi might go up for sale. If anyone up in the rust belt states is interested in a pristine bright silver '04 auto Rubicon, second owner, 25k miles, NM Jeep all its life (absolutely no rust), with OME suspension, Dirtworx bumpers f/r with hitch receiver, perfect interior, Bartact front seat covers, aftermarket TC shift knob, Currie Antirock, dual tops from the factory (soft top was still in the factory sleeve inside the Jeep when purchased three years ago), 32" tires (no-name Pep Boys, though), Body Armor rails, LED tail lights, GraBars, Tuffy underseat security drawer, oil changes done every 5 months the last 3 years, PM me. It would be worth the trip. After having had 13 Jeeps, I know this one is worth owning, but I just might have lost interest. Plenty of photos in the thread linked below.

Last edited:
@glwood I'm pretty sad to hear that :'( Not an easy decision for you, I'm sure. Are you going to get a nice T4R, perhaps?

That said .. I've been contemplating selling mine if I can't get rid of the vibes with this active balancing thing. Very tired of trying to find the cause or a fix. Your Jeep would be the perfect replacement for mine.

@glwood I'm pretty sad to hear that :'( Not an easy decision for you, I'm sure. Are you going to get a nice T4R, perhaps?

That said .. I've been contemplating selling mine if I can't get rid of the vibes with this active balancing thing. Very tired of trying to find the cause or a fix. Your Jeep would be the perfect replacement for mine.
T4R is high on the radar, to replace my TJ & my Tacoma.

This TJ would be a great new start. Someone needs to use it for its intended purpose.

Last edited:
It's looking more and more like the Rubi might go up for sale. If anyone up in the rust belt states is interested in a pristine bright silver '04 auto Rubicon, second owner, 25k miles, NM Jeep all its life (absolutely no rust), with OME suspension, Dirtworx bumpers f/r with hitch receiver, perfect interior, Bartact front seat covers, aftermarket TC shift knob, Currie Antirock, dual tops from the factory (soft top was still in the factory sleeve inside the Jeep when purchased three years ago), 32" tires (no-name Pep Boys, though), Body Armor rails, LED tail lights, GraBars, Tuffy underseat security drawer, oil changes done every 5 months the last 3 years, PM me. It would be worth the trip. After having had 13 Jeeps, I know this one is worth owning, but I just might have lost interest. Plenty of photos in the thread linked below.
It's official. Putting the '04 Rubicon up for sale. Put it away for a while, didn't drive it. Came back to it and realized that I just don't have any interest in keeping it after all, and this Rubi needs to be used as intended. I will be composing a for sale thread on here first before CL, as I know many WTJF posters have expressed interest in finding a pristine, mostly stock, low mileage (25k) Rubicon that is guaranteed rust free. If anyone wants to discuss, PM me.

If anyone knows of someone who is looking for a TJ, let 'em know this one is available, if you would, thanks.

It's official. Putting the '04 Rubicon up for sale. Put it away for a while, didn't drive it. Came back to it and realized that I just don't have any interest in keeping it after all, and this Rubi needs to be used as intended. I will be composing a for sale thread on here first before CL, as I know many WTJF posters have expressed interest in finding a pristine, mostly stock, low mileage (25k) Rubicon that is guaranteed rust free. If anyone wants to discuss, PM me.

If anyone knows of someone who is looking for a TJ, let 'em know this one is available, if you would, thanks.
Wish I could afford your TJ. 😂