Need some help diagnosing misfire codes on a 2006 Rubicon

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Goal has been to just make this Jeep great and essentially tune up the engine after 135,000 miles of driving with a suspected “only fix what breaks “ maintenance history-

Has a new @Wranglerfix pcm, new plugs, new cats, all new NTK/NGK 02 sensors-

Ran flawless for a short while- now gets a rough idle when hot , now throwing multiple codes-

2096, 2098,300 , TCM showed 218 degrees was a warning my scanner showed this pm

What I know-

The number 3 injector sounds distinctly different -

Live data shows my Bank 1 Short term fuel trim at 99.5 percent, so the computer is trying to compensate for something- richening up the fuel -

Is it possible I have a bad injector at the heart of this and do these things have map and maf sensors and will they code specifically -

Basically it runs good until it doesn’t

@Jerry Bransford I echo your reservations about 04-06 models, every one I’ve had has codes/ engine management drama-

Happy 4th guys - America is great because it it good. Good values made this nation what it is .

Andy G

Stay tuned- may have found the problem- and it’s something I had no idea was possible- the #3 injector plug sleeve had rotated and was laying on the heat shield/manifold - hot hot hot

Got a fan on it now and going to clear the codes -

This may explain a lot

Well gang, of all injectors to get too hot, ol’ number 3 was getting the wires cooked on the heat shield- it was throwing out codes like a building inspector in shantytown-one zip tie and she is back at about 11 o’clock secured to the throttle cable bracket- now to insulate it.

Had occasional rough idle when hot , knocking, multiple codes-

Smooth as silk now. Time to check the 03 connector orientation-

For the record guys those things seem to be a friction fit or the heat loosens the sleeve- be good to watch your injector plug orientation

In the process I got a good scanner and have been learning a lot about fuel trim and 02 data- simply put carburetors don’t stand a chance against fuel injection- the computer is constantly taking data and giving the perfect amount of fuel and air for the current demand - it is so far beyond what a carb does there is absolutely no comparison- all the while stabilizing the fuel under pressure. It is likely the biggest automotive advancement in the last 40-50 years -

Last edited:
Well gang, of all injectors to get too hot, ol’ number 3 was getting the wires cooked on the heat shield- it was throwing out codes like a building inspector in shantytown-one zip tie and she is back at about 11 o’clock secured to the throttle cable bracket- now to insulate it.

Had occasional rough idle when hot , knocking, multiple codes-

Smooth as silk now. Time to check the 03 connector orientation-

For the record guys those things seem to be a friction fit or the heat loosens the sleeve- be good to watch your injector plug orientation

In the process I got a good scanner and have been learning a lot about fuel trim and 02 data- simply put carburetors don’t stand a chance against fuel injection- the computer is constantly taking data and giving the perfect amount of fuel and air for the current demand - it is so far beyond what a carb does there is absolutely no comparison- all the while stabilizing the fuel under pressure. It is likely the biggest automotive advancement in the last 40-50 years -

Carbs do not do well going from sea level to 13,000 for sure.

Reactions: AndyG
So, did this turn out to be one of those innumerable alleged 04-06 maladies?

Or something that could happen to the broader population?

I have an 05 ljr and haven't had any issues aside from some difficulty with aftermarket cam position sensors and reverse on the nsg370.

Since it's a manual trans, I'm immune to the pcm issues some experience with the auto

So, did this turn out to be one of those innumerable alleged 04-06 maladies?

Or something that could happen to the broader population?

I have an 05 ljr and haven't had any issues aside from some difficulty with aftermarket cam position sensors and reverse on the nsg370.

Since it's a manual trans, I'm immune to the pcm issues some experience with the auto

We just had @Wranglerfix furnish a PCM in for a 2006 LJ Manual- just sayin-

On a sidenote I was spending a lot of time thinking about the late model ones- It is really reminiscent of 1985 when Jeep was trying to keep the CJ-7 compliant with government mandates or whatever the goal was- It had a worms nest of vacuum hoses -

I think the 258/4.0 was simply kept in production so long that they struggled with the engine management needed to keep it in the modern era-

Last edited:
Reactions: Wranglerfix
We just had @Wranglerfix furnish a PCM in for a 2006 LJ Manual- just sayin-

What problem was fixed by replacing the PCM?

If your new PCM actually fixed a problem on a manual trans tj, it might be the 1st account I've read about.

Certainly, pretty rare

What problem was fixed by replacing the PCM?

If your new PCM actually fixed a problem on a manual trans tj, it might be the 1st account I've read about.

Certainly, pretty rare

Stalling when running -

The owner/ Jeep came from California, moved here and he took it to Cole’s Auto Repair, an ace guy in town I’m friends with - I was there and saw it and asked why he had it - he told me, we asked Mark @Wranglerfix what he thought and he agreed, sent a unit and it fixed it -

Mark will know for sure how common it is with manuals-He sees way more from his end.