Need some help on which direction to go and what CB radio to buy

Jacket4256

TJ Enthusiast
So I am new to the off-roading world, and me and my little one go on Jeep adventures and for the most part we stick to the paved highways and go see cool things or off in the smokies.

We have started to go on some sanctioned jeep rides and also would like to do some forest road exploring on our own some. I think for the most part people in my neck of the woods run with CBs on Jeep get togethers, but I don't know where to start in looking for one and what I need ???

So if someone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

I have put some thought in to buying one of there https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/561286 just for piece of mind but the monthly payment kind of pushes me away when its something that will not get used all that often.

If they're really using CBs, then the Uniden 520 is a cheap and handy unit. Paired with a firestik antenna. You can get a package deal if you prefer one-stop shopping
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/1955-2006-jeep-cb-radio-kit
If they're not using CBs, then they are likely using a HAM/GRMS radio. Cant suggest a good one as I dont know enough about them yet.

Reactions: Jacket4256
People have been exploring for years without satellite rescue buttons. Just use some common sense and go prepared, tell people where you are going and for how long and you'll be fine. Most clubs have a list of required equipment, that's a great place to get an idea of what you should look into. Obviously it changes from place to place but make sure you have the basics like a first aid kit.

If they're really using CBs, then the Uniden 520 is a cheap and handy unit. Paired with a firestik antenna. You can get a package deal if you prefer one-stop shopping
https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/1955-2006-jeep-cb-radio-kit
If they're not using CBs, then they are likely using a HAM/GRMS radio. Cant suggest a good one as I dont know enough about them yet.
The last group I went with were all on cbs, I’m super new to going with groups of people I’m not friends with so trying to figure out where to start.

People have been exploring for years without satellite rescue buttons. Just use some common sense and go prepared, tell people where you are going and for how long and you'll be fine. Most clubs have a list of required equipment, that's a great place to get an idea of what you should look into. Obviously it changes from place to place but make sure you have the basics like a first aid kit.
Basics are easily covered, more of a always prepared type person for first aid, protection, and supplies in case I’m sleeping in the Jeep overnight.

Tons of people here, where in Tennessee? There might be regional threads or Jeepers here that are close by. Go to the regional forums and then United States and look for Tennessee and make yourself known. No better way to find a few TJs to wheel with.

I run both a CB and a GMRS. In terms of clarity and range, the GMRS is hands down a better way to communicate. No static, no fooling with squelch, and for me it is easier to understand given the higher clarity.

But, it is all about who you are wheeling with - and what they use. All the GMRS clarity in the world won’t help in a group using CB’s…

To stick your toe in the water, pick up a handheld. Lot’s of folks did that this year at TJ Fest.

And also as Pagrey asked - where in TN are you?

I run both a CB and a GMRS. In terms of clarity and range, the GMRS is hands down a better way to communicate. No static, no fooling with squelch, and for me it is easier to understand given the higher clarity.

But, it is all about who you are wheeling with - and what they use. All the GMRS clarity in the world won’t help in a group using CB’s…

To stick your toe in the water, pick up a handheld. Lot’s of folks did that this year at TJ Fest.

And also as Pagrey asked - where in TN are you?
I’m out East towards Knoxville

FWIW, FM on CB will be a thing starting 10/28/21 - or at least will be legal. Who and how long until FM capable equipment will be available is another thing, although it was Cobra who petitioned the FCC for it so they may be ready to roll. I hope Uniden comes out with an updated 550 (or whatever) pretty quick.

As for which to run, might as well run both CB and GMRS. They're cheap enough. I added a 2M/70cM Ham rig as well, 'cause "radio Jeep"!

The inReach is pricey - but you can buy a plan by the month if you don't use it that much - and either way its far cheaper and far more useful than a goddamned smartphone.

I just got into off-roading this summer myself and the first thing I bought was a CB... it was so nostalgic. Then I start going to rides with friends and EVERYONE is running GMRS. Wish I'd waited and bought that first.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I just got into off-roading this summer myself and the first I bought was a CB... it was so nostalgic. Then I start going to rides with friends and EVERYONE is running GMRS. Wish I'd waited and bought that first.
After having GMRS and CB, I don't know why I still have CB. I was hesitant but GMRS is clearly superior.

FWIW, FM on CB will be a thing starting 10/28/21 - or at least will be legal. Who and how long until FM capable equipment will be available is another thing, although it was Cobra who petitioned the FCC for it so they may be ready to roll. I hope Uniden comes out with an updated 550 (or whatever) pretty quick.
I believe I read that this is already allowed in foreign markets (Europe) - so they likely already have the radios and just need to get them certified in the states. Time will tell though.

Reactions: Zorba
I am very happy with my Cobra 75 wx st. The main box is tucked out of the sight and the handset has all of the controls. I was able to put a second box in my 4runner and just swap the handset between the two vehicles.

I would suggest check with the group that you are riding with. Whatever system they are using go that route first. Then you can go down the rabbit hole of Ham/FM CB/GMRS/FRS if you want to.

Reactions: Jacket4256