Need some info...

Brian Love

Just put on these 285/70/17 and love them. 2-3" lift is coming immediately, but so far no issues. My question...

I have a 2004 RME Automatic. Does it need re-geared for the 285's?

Engine temp was normal, but oil temp was a tad above middle.

Thanks!

**Edit** Nevermind. Found my answer. I don't have to, but it sounds like I'll want to for sanity, haha.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Just put on these 285/70/17 and love them. 2-3" lift is coming immediately, but so far no issues. My question...

I have a 2004 RME Automatic. Does it need re-geared for the 285's?

Engine temp was normal, but oil temp was a tad above middle.

Thanks!

**Edit** Nevermind. Found my answer. I don't have to, but it sounds like I'll want to for sanity, haha.

Re-gearing is never a must, but it always brings the power band back to where it should be and makes the vehicle drive like it ought to.

Chris, I need to hop underneath and take a look, but highway speed (60 mph) I'm sitting around 15-1700 RPM?

So speaking of lifts, anything else I need or should look at doing with a 2-3" lift? Looking at the OME HD kit as we use the jeep to plow with and that's adding around 400lbs up front.

So speaking of lifts, anything else I need or should look at doing with a 2-3" lift? Looking at the OME HD kit as we use the jeep to plow with and that's adding around 400lbs up front.

I personally run the 2.5" OME HD lift and absolutely love it, you won't be disappointed.

At that amount of lift you will be pretty much fine. The only possible thing you might need is either a transfer case drop or a slip yoke eliminator.

How would I know if I need to, or why would I need to? I've read the same thing about other lifts and "might" have to do the drop or a slip yoke...

How would I know if I need to, or why would I need to? I've read the same thing about other lifts and "might" have to do the drop or a slip yoke...

You'll know if you install your lift and start getting noticeable drivetrain vibrations. 2.5" isn't much so for a lot of people it doesn't happen, but for some people it does. If it does, you can cure it with a transfer case drop (if you don't have much to spend) or with a slip yoke eliminator (if you have some more money to spend and want to fix it the proper way).