Need theories: why did the previous owner do this?

jblues1969

Why would the previous owner of my jeep intentionally cut out 12 inches from the rearmost frame crossmember, then try to weld it back together with a scrap piece of steel?

iQGf-x7voE_ZtfhnPBP9QA=w1664-h1253-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Definitely not rust. We cut it off today and PO deliberately removed the middle 12 inches of that crossmember, then apparently tried to un-do it with a welder and didn't do such a good job. The hitch was welded to the bumper with the same lack of skill. The bumper is factory and it looks like it's never been removed from the jeep.

Scratching my head about why someone would think this was a good idea and what they were up to.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Trying to weld in a trailer hitch and then abandoned it when they started mocking it up with the gas tank right there?

Would account for there also being a less than quality job on the bumper

I don't think it was the previous owner that actually did that. He probably paid someone that was pretending to be a hitch installer to help him save some cash.

Unfortunately we may never know if it was a crack-head on a bad side of town or a meth-head in a shady trailer park.

• USA Proud
  • Haha
Reactions: Rickyd and 97TJNM
I would assume it was an alcohol influenced decision to make clearance for receiver hitch. Woke up the next morning an decided to try and repair the bright idea.
It never ceases to amaze me how much alcohol some will consume while trying to do something that should be only be done stone cold sober. Which includes wheeling while or after drinking.